30 for 30 on ESPN

Patriots4ever

Running Up the Score
Reaction score
PSA for all you Randy Moss fans out there, it's on ESPN tonight at 8pm. They really do a good job with these and I'm looking forward to watching this episode. They're calling it Rand University.

This Moss 30 for 30 documentary is positively unreal. If you missed it make sure you DVR it when it airs tomorrow.

His HS film shows his tremendous potential. He was double teamed on all but 1 play during his HS career. That went for 88 yds and a TD. I won't say more than the little bit below bc I don't want to ruin it for you. Highly rec +1000!

If this were a 4 hr doc, I'd happily watch the entire thing and never move from my chair. Bobby Bowden - "Randy was the best offensive player I ever coached...or saw. I was heartbroken I couldn't give him another chance." But Randy's work-release was cancelled so he left FSU.

So much goodness in this show. 2007 Moss was the best year any WR ever had. I'm just sorry his Pats career ended so quickly and so abruptly. I still love listening to him on TV.

I'm glad that I DVR'd this. I will watch it again. Well done again, it seems that this is all that ESPN does well these days...

Poop. Things like this are one of the rare occasions I regret giving up pay TV. And BSPN in their infinite <strike>greed? stupidity?</strike> wisdom, doesn't let you access most of their channels on ROKU, unless you already subscribe to a cable TV service. The point of that is??????????? They could run a live feed on ROKU or their website with the commercials, still. Jerks! Ah well, it will show up on Netflix or youtube or somewhere, eventually. Thanks for the heads up anyway. :)

This is the only show I watch on that network. I'll make sure to watch this one.

So far my favorite has been the Boston College sports betting scandal.

This is the only show I watch on that network. I'll make sure to watch this one.

It really is a great program. They have a bunch of epis on Netflix, and I'll watch one here and there as the mood strikes me. Not all of the subjects are interesting to me, but the ones I have watched have been really terrific. But it definitely highlights the fact they have the potential to offer quality programming, and choose bullshit instead most of the time. Ah well. They'd rather just keep feeding pablum to the masses as the easiest way to keep the lights on, I guess. :shrug:

That was epic.... how that whole thing crumbled....

Tonight's was great too. Randy dealt with a lot of schit in his day. Some of which he created, but I do think he was sometimes a victim of circumstances too.

The statement he made.. taking responsibility for the weed issue, was amazing. Just what you'd want to hear from professional athletes (and rarely do) but to be coming from a basically a kid. Made me appreciate him even more.

I have the original 30 on DVD. Obviously, the "Four Days In October" one makes me weep whenever I watch it. But the Marcus DuPree one was amazing too.

And the recent one on The Boz was also very good. Love him or hate him, he seems sincerely contrite about a lot of the things he did during his OU days and his brief stint in the NFL. Seeing him explain his "NCAA" t-shirt to his son, wow.... just wow.

My problem with the Randy Moss episode it, like most ESPN specials, it makes the athlete come off as a victim. Moss' suspensions and problems with the police were due to his own actions. ESPN, again, paints the pic of the "do nothing wrong" athlete being wrongly persecuted. The BC betting scandal episode was the same, it made the kids look like patsies to the mafia and completely absolved the coaches from even knowing what was going on.

I thought it was a great documentary. If it wasn't for him arrest. He would have been playing for the irish.
I watched everyone of the 30 for 30 episodes on Netflix

My problem with the Randy Moss episode it, like most ESPN specials, it makes the athlete come off as a victim. Moss' suspensions and problems with the police were due to his own actions. ESPN, again, paints the pic of the "do nothing wrong" athlete being wrongly persecuted. The BC betting scandal episode was the same, it made the kids look like patsies to the mafia and completely absolved the coaches from even knowing what was going on.

To an extent, yes, I agree about the athlete as victim part, but the case where Randy helped stomp the white kid was portrayed differently than the written accounts I've seen on the whole thing.

The white kid was described by several people, including a teacher, as a thug who did a lot more than just writing racist graffiti and many were happy he got his ass kicked-- and that was the white people. On the show last night there was no mention of any of that and the subtext was that Randy and Sam were the violent perps. The other guy just a victim.

There were examples in that show that fit to your point, but I wanted to mention the above example because it was handled in a superficial way that was the opposite of what they normally do.

Case in point being Sam crying because he was homeless instead of being a star professional athlete after making "one mistake". Another mistake he made might have been not having a backup plan like virtually everybody else in the world.

I'd be curious how many folks had their parole revoked due to weed. Was it common or was it something that happened to Randy due to other factors (skin color, deciding not to go to WVU...).

I dunno, maybe sometimes they are victims.... just a thought. I will say the speech he made accepting that responsibility was not the usual drivel you get from pampered athletes. He seemed to own his actions there and still got the "shit end of the stick".

I came away admiring him even more.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/randy-moss-may-well-have-been-the-greatest-receiver-of-all-time/

morris-feature-moss-wowy1.png

To an extent, yes, I agree about the athlete as victim part, but the case where Randy helped stomp the white kid was portrayed differently than the written accounts I've seen on the whole thing.

The white kid was described by several people, including a teacher, as a thug who did a lot more than just writing racist graffiti and many were happy he got his ass kicked-- and that was the white people. On the show last night there was no mention of any of that and the subtext was that Randy and Sam were the violent perps. The other guy just a victim.

There were examples in that show that fit to your point, but I wanted to mention the above example because it was handled in a superficial way that was the opposite of what they normally do.

Case in point being Sam crying because he was homeless instead of being a star professional athlete after making "one mistake". Another mistake he made might have been not having a backup plan like virtually everybody else in the world.

I also found it hard to believe that a single joint could ruin someone's life like this show portrayed. I know Moss didn't exactly kidnap the Lindbergh baby, but he's hardly the innocent victim of a racist society, either. The truth, as always, lies in the middle.

Anyways, I liked Moss before this show and still like him now.

Don't tell that to josh Gordon. One more strike because of failed drug test. He done in the NFL because he can't stop smoking weed.

I also found it hard to believe that a single joint could ruin someone's life like this show portrayed. I know Moss didn't exactly kidnap the Lindbergh baby, but he's hardly the innocent victim of a racist society, either. The truth, as always, lies in the middle.

Anyways, I liked Moss before this show and still like him now.

It was hard to believe all that went wrong for him from smoking a joint, but he knew he was on probation and chose to do "the crime", so.....that was on him, but as NC pointed out he stood up and just told the truth and a lot of guys in his shoes would've done otherwise.

Far as liking Moss, I never felt comfortable with who the guy really was. I believe that he is bi-polar or has tendencies in that direction. He can seem like a total dick one minute and a great guy the next. Even his play on the field seemed to indicate that, although I recognize his overall brilliance. Plenty of times he just didn't seem to care or even give it a decent effort and at others he played like a man possessed.

He is a very bright and interesting guy, but he's his own worst enemy in a lot of ways.

I just watched 'Survive and Advance" about Jim Valvano and the North Carolina win in 1983.

Fantastic viewing......just brilliant. What a coach and what a group of players.

I just watched 'Survive and Advance" about Jim Valvano and the North Carolina win in 1983.

Fantastic viewing......just brilliant. What a coach and what a group of players.
That wasn't North Carolina. That was North Carolina State.

You want to know the next time I watch a (ESPN produced) 30 for 30?

When they do one about their own disgracefully inept and biased handling of Deflategate. It's quite a story and I'm sure would provide more than enough fodder to make a great episode.

Until they do I'm done watching anything on that network. They disgust me and I can live without this admittedly excellent show.

Back