'72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
Per Peter King:
"First -- and do not mistake this for Dolphin-bashing, because it's the clear and simple truth -- Miami's schedule was minor-league compared to the Pats' through 14 weeks. In 1972, Miami did not play a team that finished the season with more than eight wins. The 8-6 Giants and Chiefs were the toughest tests. There were six teams with 10 wins or more other than Miami in 1972, and through quirks of the schedule, Miami faced none of them. Incredibly, the '72 Dolphins faced none of the other seven NFL playoff teams during the regular season, then won all three playoff games narrowly -- by six, four and seven points.

New England, meanwhile, is 4-0 against division leaders and has won those games by an average of 15 points."

PatsFan09* on 12-17-2007 at 12:28 PM said:
Per Peter King:
"First -- and do not mistake this for Dolphin-bashing, because it's the clear and simple truth -- Miami's schedule was minor-league compared to the Pats' through 14 weeks. In 1972, Miami did not play a team that finished the season with more than eight wins. The 8-6 Giants and Chiefs were the toughest tests. There were six teams with 10 wins or more other than Miami in 1972, and through quirks of the schedule, Miami faced none of them. Incredibly, the '72 Dolphins faced none of the other seven NFL playoff teams during the regular season, then won all three playoff games narrowly -- by six, four and seven points.

New England, meanwhile, is 4-0 against division leaders and has won those games by an average of 15 points."

The Dolphins beat NFL Icons like Fran Tarkenton, Namath, Unitus,

The Patriots beat Cleo Lemon, Jason Cambell, and Kyle Boller

The Dolphins beat OJ Simpson - Franco Harris

The Patriots couldn't stop Ronnie Brown, Mcgehee, Parker, etc...

Frauds !!!!!

Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Dolphin22 on 12-17-2007 at 12:43 PM said:

Frauds !!!!!

Yet the teams the Dolphins played sucked....and the teams the Patriots are playing are much tougher.

So what? You can only pay the teams on your schedule...you don't pick and choose. It is what it is.

Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Dolphin22 on 12-17-2007 at 12:43 PM said:

Frauds !!!!!

Why would you list the best QBs that the Dolphins faced and then not list Manning, Romo and Roethlisberger among the Patriots opponents?

:shrug:

Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Brownfan80 on 12-17-2007 at 01:49 PM said:
Why would you list the best QBs that the Dolphins faced and then not list Manning, Romo and Roethlisberger among the Patriots opponents?

Because thats how you make a flawed arguement.

Whats funny is that if NE didn't have to play the Dolphins Twice, their SOS would likely skyrocket.

Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Brownfan80 on 12-17-2007 at 01:49 PM said:

because I can be an asshole like that !!!!

CleatMarks on 12-17-2007 at 09:46 PM said:
How many yards did LdT get? Oh yeah, less yards than OJ had. :LOL:

Cleat, sorry man, you just can't think this slow lame ass old defense is good against the run after watching Adsai, Parker, Westbrook, Brown. Mcgehee etdc... its common knowledge they are horrible aginst the run....

When they played SD that whole team was a mess still learning all new schemes with 8 New Coaches , I know they would stop him today....& so do you...

Dolphin22 on 12-17-2007 at 10:21 PM said:
Cleat, sorry man, you just can't think this slow lame ass old defense is good against the run after watching Adsai, Parker, Westbrook, Brown. Mcgehee etdc... its common knowledge they are horrible aginst the run....

When they played SD that whole team was a mess still learning all new schemes with 8 New Coaches , I know they would stop him today....& so do you...

(Okay, serious for a second)
It's been weak at times but some of that is due to the nickel packages they've been playing. Lots of times, the Pats have given up the run when they've been ahead. If you're up by 30 points, why not make it difficult for them to pass? That's what they need to do. If they want to run, try and stop them but don't put all of your resources into stopping it.

Mcgehee was the only one that I was worried about. Most of those other backs you mentioned had 1 good run to pad the stats. What's important to look at is 3rd down conversions. I think the Pats are 2nd in the league in preventing them.

The Pats have never been about being the most aggressive defense. They've always been about playing disciplined ball and not giving up the big play. They apply pressure without selling out some other aspect of their defense. It's always been about making them make the mistake. That's the whole 2 gap philosophy.

What I haven't been impressed with is AD playing outside linebacker. He's great in a pass rush and pretty good in coverage but he hasn't shown me that he's a good 3 - 4 linebacker against the run. He's getting turned and isn't setting the edge. They've been running at him. He's the one I worry about.

Setting the edge in the 2 gap 3 - 4 is important for the run. Those guys have to turn the play into the middle. Their job is to turn the play back into the middle where the bulk of the muscle is playing. That's why they're big linebackers in this scheme.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I think Tedy is done. He can't seem to shed blockers anymore. In fact, I think Jr does a better job.

All that being said, they're better than most. The reason is that they don't freelance. Freelancing is fine when you have the bodies that can allow you to do that but lots of teams that look great and have aggressive defenses are vulnerable to a good offensive team. The reason is that they make mistakes and that usually kills you when you're up against a good team.

The Pats aren't flashy on defense and they have some weak spots but when they don't break down, they're still one of the better defenses. They're strong enough to face any NFL offense.

Lets just say Unitas was on the bad side of the bell curve OK?

1971 bal | 13 52.3 942 3 9
1972 bal | 8 56.1 1111 4 6

Took 22 minutes of OT to beat the Chefs, one of only two teams that they beat who were over .500 and the "immortal" Cszxonka had a whopping 118 yards, think he should have mustered more in 5+ quarters of football?

Got lucky with a penalty late in the 4th quarter to beat the Vikings enabling Greezy to throw to a wide open tight end. Tarkenton outplayed Greezy by a mile in that game.

When I have more time I will find the other holes in your flawed, as usual, arguement.

Re: Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Dolphin22 on 12-17-2007 at 06:56 PM said:
because I am an asshole like that !!!!

Well, you claim that you're trying to be objective all the time, but then you always skew your arguments intentionally.

Then you demand that your points be taken seriously.

It's a contradiction.

Discuss things evenly and you'd probably get a better response.

Of course, I've read you for a while now, I don't expect you to actually take that advice.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Brownfan80 on 12-18-2007 at 12:44 PM said:
Well, you claim that you're trying to be objective all the time, but then you always skew your arguments intentionally.

Then you demand that your points be taken seriously.

It's a contradiction.

Of course, I've read you for a while now, I don't expect you to actually take that advice.

Exaclty - I'm not going to give a reasonable argument to someone who just rants the same crap, kraft bougth the rings, the refs, all teams tank against the patriots, no repect..blah blah....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Therick67* on 12-18-2007 at 01:09 PM said:
Exaclty - I'm not going to give a reasonable argument to someone who just rants the same crap, kraft bougth the rings, the refs, all teams tank against the patriots, no repect..blah blah....
You cant take an azz-hole like this seriously........no matter what is said,they take good info and twist it to meet the agenda or person they want to piss off.......:banghead: D-22 and dawsonstouchhole are here for one reason only.......to piss us off........the only problem is ,there the ones who most of the time end up pissed off.......ROFL Do not try to talk seriouse with them......they have the mentality of 10 yr olds.......:patriots!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

gunrunner on 12-18-2007 at 02:04 PM said:
You cant take an azz-hole like this seriously........no matter what is said,they take good info and twist it to meet the agenda or person they want to piss off.......:banghead: D-22 and dawsonstouchhole are here for one reason only.......to piss us off........the only problem is ,there the ones who most of the time end up pissed off.......ROFL Do not try to talk seriouse with them......they have the mentality of 10 yr olds.......:patriots!

You have 23 posts in 3 days dummy. Like anyone would begin to take you serious. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

And yet not one of them even discuss football. They are all target at attacking me and the great D22.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Dawsonstouchbac on 12-18-2007 at 02:08 PM said:
You have 23 posts in 3 days dummy. Like anyone would begin to take you serious. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

And yet not one of them even discuss football. They are all target at attacking me and the great D22.

Hey numbnutz
From YOUR profile
(11.50 posts per day)

:LOL:

Who gets owned more - D22 or his lapdog dawsonROFL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patriots

Brownfan80 on 12-18-2007 at 12:44 PM said:

I would think a bunch of smart asses like you guys could tell when Im being sarcastic or dead serious ...think about it !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '72 Dolphins' Schedule was CAKE compared to '07 Patri

Dawsonstouchbac on 12-18-2007 at 02:08 PM said:

I talk football in the other sections of this great board........I just attack you because thats all you do to others.......Dont cry little fvckhead........no one can hear you or even cares.....you and the great douchbag-22 can both go fry your azz......sorry if we offend you cum-gums........ROFL

Therick67* on 12-18-2007 at 02:57 PM said:
:LOL:

Who gets owned more - D22 or his lapdog dawsonROFL

Therick...you do !!!!!!

Back