9-year-old is banned from mound for too-fast fastball

needless to say we didn't buy her a trophy. I explained that it was her first try she did zero studying and came in 4th she should be pleased with that. She entered last year came in 2nd and got the trophy that she earned.

Nice!

And I'm sure from her first experience she tried a little harder for the second go and she got a desirable result. That's a life lesson.

Nice!

And I'm sure from her first experience she tried a little harder for the second go and she got a desirable result. That's a life lesson.

Yeah lifes lessons who'd a thunk it. I don't know how much harder she tried I know she didn't study again and she didn't want to go to nationals so......

Yeah lifes lessons who'd a thunk it. I don't know how much harder she tried I know she didn't study again and she didn't want to go to nationals so......

Well then maybe it's just not her thing.

At least she tried again, and suceeded. If she didn't want to further pursue it then that's fine too.

I didn't twist anything. I just pointed out that maybe your kid enjoys playing with his schoolyard buddies.
Well then he's lucky we've got a nice backyard and summers off and enough lazy Saturday afternoons to fill any child's time and imagination to his heart's content with whatever schoolyard buddies he has...

Meanwhile, when it comes to participation in organized sports, rules like this are set from coast to coast because they act in everyone's best interests. For some reason this particular family has a problem with something 99.999% of the rest of us don't.

Well then he's lucky we've got a nice backyard and summers off and enough lazy Saturday afternoons to fill any child's time and imagination to his heart's content with whatever schoolyard buddies he has...

Meanwhile, when it comes to participation in organized sports, rules like this are set from coast to coast because they act in everyone's best interests. For some reason this particular family has a problem with something 99.999% of the rest of us don't.

I'm not arguing that fact. Again, there are far too many holes in the story from my perspective to give a 100% definitive answer.

Why does he come in when the season is 8-0?

Why instructional league?

But to simply assume he can play with kids 3-4 yrs older without ever meeting or talking to him, or asking if he's even interested in doing that is wrong too.

doesn't someone always have to be the best? why is he being punished for it? I agree, these people are too stupid to run a league.
It's true that someone always "has to be the best"... but one of the whole purposes of many organized leagues (especially instructional leagues) is for people to enjoy competition with other people that are of a roughly equal level.

This has been going on for decades. Kids that are too talented for instructional leagues are told "you are so talented that you should be playing in a more advanced league". I don't know why the talking heads at ESPN decided to make a federal case out of this particular instance. For some reason, all of a sudden people consider that "punishment".

Backlash, pure and simple...

It's true that someone always "has to be the best"... but one of the whole purposes of many organized leagues (especially instructional leagues) is for people to enjoy competition with other people that are of a roughly equal level.

This has been going on for decades. Kids that are too talented for instructional leagues are told "you are so talented that you should be playing in a more advanced league". I don't know why the talking heads at ESPN decided to make a federal case out of this particular instance. For some reason, all of a sudden people consider that "punishment".

You still fail to address why the kid gets involved at 8-0 point of the season in instructional league.

That screams to me its his first involvement in organized ball, got involved halfway thru the season, and just has a naturally strong arm.

The "punishment" angle comes from when they tell him he has to play another position or his whole team forfeits and nobody plays.

Besides, I thought they didn't even keep score in instructional league. Even plays and then gets a cone.:clap:

You still fail to address why the kid gets involved at 8-0 point of the season in instructional league.
Well, my very first post in this thread says that I have little doubt that there is much more going on behind the scenes that is not being reported in a small little newspaper/media snippet.

This article glaringly points out the fact that once again I guess some people feel its better to be mediocre in life than to admit that others have been given a talent that others may have to work harder at to achieve.......it is the complete and total dumbing down of society in general by punishing those who are athletically or intellectually talented......:coffee:

Absolutely assinine!

Just a further example of the politically correct b.s. destruction of America.

"Jericho, you're just too good to be allowed to pitch. You'll have to find another spot to play so we can slow things down and everyone can have fun and celebrate and be equal."

"No,no,no, Ricky. You little silly. You're supposed to hold the bat the other way."

"Bobby, you know what I've told you. The glove goes on your left hand, not your right foot, you little rascal."

"Now everybody, let's go have fun!"

:cuss:WTF?:mad::grrr::Eason::shake::suicide:

all i have to say is I completely agree (and then i have to say a little bit more) ... i agree with almost all points made in this thread, but 1st and foremost the BS in america. not only did this get blown out of proportion, unless something "good ole boy" like was trying to go down with town politics, but this 9 year old kid is now in the spotlight for throwing hard. whether he should have moved up or not is dependent upon what he knew instructional wise regarding baseball ... with all of the media access available in its various formats across the globe, this is truly one of the downsides of it being so readily available. it starts with a 9 year old throwing too hard, ends up on ESPN and finally will end with the court process. there are just too many thick-headed arrogant people out there to try to reason with each other, whether it be the parents, the intructional league, town politics, whatever ... its just really sad :banghead::banghead:

This isn't a case of some 110 lb 9 yr old running over every opposing player breaking bones along the way, it is a case of a 9 yr old kid that can throw 40 mph with control.
He's never hit a batter, and feels like he is doing something wrong because the adults are contributing to the pussification of America.
I sucked when I played pee wee ball, couldn't hit the ball to save my life. My coach never approached the opposing coach to have a Tee Ball stand set up, or have the pitcher lob the ball over the plate. I sucked, I practiced, I sucked slightly less.
[/rant] :)

This is absolutely appalling. My brother made the excellent point that it is the exact same thing as kicking Brandon Webb or Cliff Lee out of the MLB. It is bullshit and I'd sue the league if I were the parents

This is absolutely appalling. My brother made the excellent point that it is the exact same thing as kicking Brandon Webb or Cliff Lee out of the MLB. It is bullshit and I'd sue the league if I were the parents
You're comparing an instructional league for 8 year olds to the Majors...? You have got to be kidding. :coffee:

It is pretty much the same thing. They are all great at what they do and continue to baffle hitters in their prospective leagues and I can't see what is so laughable about it.

It is pretty much the same thing. They are all great at what they do and continue to baffle hitters in their prospective leagues and I can't see what is so laughable about it.
Well, I gotta disagree... taking an instructional league for 8 year olds and comparing it to Major League Baseball where players get paid millions to perform and then saying "it is pretty much the same thing" is a pretty laughable statement.

You do realize that this sort of thing where a kid is so talented they ask him to move up a level happens all the time, right..?

Back