9-year-old is banned from mound for too-fast fastball

PA_PATS_FAN54*

Reaction score
Website
www.a2zpa.com
By Associated Press
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - Added 12h ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(0) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(0) Rate

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Jericho Scott’s fastball - clocked at 40 mph - is so nasty the 9-year-old is banned from taking the mound.

The Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch anymore. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the 3-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it.

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it.”

Talk about a bullshit decision, he's a frinin 9yr old! Give me a break.

By Associated Press
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - Added 12h ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(0) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(0) Rate

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Jericho Scott’s fastball - clocked at 40 mph - is so nasty the 9-year-old is banned from taking the mound.

The Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch anymore. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the 3-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it.

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it.”

Talk about a bullshit decision, he's a frinin 9yr old! Give me a break.

Are the Yankees scouting him yet?

Good, they have to do something about this, there isnt room for winners and losers in sport.

Wow, they sure taught this kid a lesson.

The people that run this league are pathetic and should be banned for being to stupid to run a league.

A key line from the full story was omitted in the brief blurb posted above:

Vidro and Jericho’s parents said he was being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/sports/baseball/26youth.html?ref=sports

Absolutely assinine!

Just a further example of the politically correct b.s. destruction of America.

"Jericho, you're just too good to be allowed to pitch. You'll have to find another spot to play so we can slow things down and everyone can have fun and celebrate and be equal."

"No,no,no, Ricky. You little silly. You're supposed to hold the bat the other way."

"Bobby, you know what I've told you. The glove goes on your left hand, not your right foot, you little rascal."

"Now everybody, let's go have fun!"

:cuss:WTF?:mad::grrr::Eason::shake::suicide:

Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that Scott could no longer pitch in the league. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, Scott’s coach, Wilfred Vidro said

No fun today kids, he's really good, we quit...

In our league, when a kid is clearly heads and tails above everyone else, we ask him if he'd like to move up a level. This way the kid is challenged and continues to improve with kids of the same skill level. Most of them (and there have only been 1 or 2 an year) are thrilled to do this.

The story above reeks of politics though. Too bad for the kid. Does he have an agent yet?

This is like saying to Michael Jordan as a kid playing basketball you’re to good at this now, so go over across the street and kick that ball around on the grass with that other little boy P4E

From what I've read, the league is basically an instructional league for kids who haven't played baseball before. Sounds like a step up from T-Ball. It is not Little League.

It sounds like the kid's parents are the real problem. Instead of putting him in a more appropriate league (such as LL or AAU, both of which are meant for more experienced/skilled players his age), they'd rather see him dominate kids who are new to the game. It must stoke their egos to see their phenom blowing the ball by little girls who have never played baseball before.

No surprise that they're taking this to court. This was probably their plan all along.

I'm nearly sixty-one but I can still get around on a 40 MPH heater. :wave:

Cheers, BostonTim

maybe the should have had him pitch with the other hand..

I'm curious as to what level of control he has on the fast ball at 9 years old.

I remember little league. The guy pitching was the one who hit puberty early, and could wing the ball like 200 mph but couldn't control it for shit.

And some of you are taking this way too seriously. They are 9 freaking years old. This isn't life or death. Do you all remember baseball at 9? The kids in the outfield are probably out picking dandelions and eating boogers. They aren't going to be able to hit a 40 mph fastball.

DKM nailed it when he pointed out that this kid clearly needs to move up a level so that he is challenged, an so the rest of the league can actually play the game.

DKM nailed it when he pointed out that this kid clearly needs to move up a level so that he is challenged, an so the rest of the league can actually play the game.

While I agree, I didn't see that as an option in the article - if it was thats what should have been done, not telling someone they can't pitch or breaking up a team.

I played lots of sports growing up and every league had someone who was dominant, thats just the way it is.

another crazy story. From what i read the douchebags are the league officials. they were mad because he would not pitch for them. So they try to make sure he don't pitch for the other team. People like that are scum.

This is like saying to Michael Jordan as a kid playing basketball you’re to good at this now, so go over across the street and kick that ball around on the grass with that other little boy P4E

No, it's like Micheal Jordan as a very talented kid, joining a beginner league so he could dominate kids his age who never played before.

Not to pick nits, but didn't Jordan have trouble making his HS team. I think he was cut as a sophomore and didn't play until he grew taller.

Back