A Grain of Salt

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
Really nice article from Eric Edholm at Pro Football Weekly today:

The sun is shining, and almost everything is glorious in the NFL.

By that I mean that summer, which is almost upon us, is the ultimate time for optimism in football. Injured players are rehabbing, almost universally, “ahead of pace.” Rookies are looking sharp in minicamps — in helmets and shorts. And new coaches are expressing excitement over the challenges that lie ahead.

Not to dampen things, but some perspective is needed.

Take Panthers LB Thomas Davis. A month ago, the Panthers were beaming with the news that Davis, six months removed from ACL surgery, had run a 4.47 40-yard dash in his attempt to return this season. It sounded great. But anyone who has suffered an ACL tear (I have) will tell you that straight-line speed is secondary to cutting and twisting. I was suspicious when I read just how far Davis had come.

Sure enough, Davis suffered another huge blow — his second ACL tear, which likely will end his 2010 season. Though the Panthers have yet to place him on injured reserve and are holding out hope he can play at some point, it doesn’t look good.

We have to keep that same injury perspective in mind when we hear that Patriots WR Wes Welker and Jets QB Mark Sanchez are doing well, running around, and will be ready for training camp. The Patriots have not said anything on Welker, naturally, as they almost never comment on players’ injuries. But the optimism over seeing him run around in OTAs has some fans believing Welker will be ready to play from Week One.

Honestly, I doubt it. Just as I tend to doubt Sanchez will be 100 percent, no matter what he or Rex Ryan says. And if Sanchez is spending a good portion of his time this offseason rehabbing and not progressing as a quarterback, the Jets will be a disappointment this year. Mark my words.

The rookie hype machine is in full swing for players such as the Chargers’ Ryan Mathews and the Cowboys’ Dez Bryant. The way people are talking, we are looking at a couple of future Pro Bowlers here. And perhaps they are. But before we talk about players putting their teams over the top in their first seasons in the pros, let’s think about how many rookies actually have done that recently.

Matt Ryan was great for the Falcons in 2008, and Adrian Peterson was magnificent the year before. But neither player won a playoff game his first season. I think you have to go back to Ben Roethlisberger in ’04 to find a rookie who really made the caliber of impact we’re talking about here. So when you read about Mathews or Bryant or C.J. Spiller or Eric Berry looking great running around in shorts, remember what we are talking about here. Let’s see how they fare when the pads come on.

I don’t doubt the Redskins are a better team with Mike Shanahan at the helm. And I think having Donovan McNabb alone makes them 2-3 wins better, assuming nothing else on the team improves. But I am not ready to bury the Eagles, a more time-tested and talented team, in their wake just yet. I think Shanahan will realize that even with all of the Redskins’ ability, they have a lot of holes and a lot of things to figure out when camp arrives. There’s a reason this team constantly dominates the offseason and falls short when the games are played. The previous regime consistently went for the headline-grabbing signings and trades, eschewing the tried-and-true method of building: patiently, through the draft.

This is not meant to be a downer. Surely, some players who are impressing now will carry on and build into great seasons. Some team that has had a good offseason will have a great regular season and playoffs.

And of course, the opposite can be true, too. Teams that are wallowing in seas of bad karma could be ready to break out. Likewise, the news that Logan Mankins wants to be traded might sound awful to Patriots fans who are looking forward to the season, but there’s something to keep in mind. These things almost never are as bad as they read when the news breaks, and they seem to work themselves out.

It’s all part of the fun of the league, but it’s also part of the dangerous spring and summer months. The good news seems great, and the bad news seems awful.

But the best news of all? Training camps open in about six weeks. That’s when most of the speculation ends and the real action begins. Until then, question everything you read. It's probably not as good (or bad) as it seems.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/06/15/grain-of-salt-needed-with-offseason-news

Good stuff. I personally expect WWW to start the season on PUP, no matter how good he looks right now. And I agree with the comments about the Sanchize - recovery from injury could easily prevent him from making the second year leap. It's all hype right now, with no way of sorting out the reality from the hyperbole.

And Mankins' situation can't get any worse. It can only get better.

I too think Wes will be PUP and hope that Sanchize heals but that his development is slowed

as for Mankins, I can't guess at this, he is a Cowboy and he takes pride in certain things while the business of the NFL is anything but the handshake deal Mankins is used to in his life.

Well, the Mankins situation doesn't even come close to what I felt when Brady got hit in 2008. I lived through that and the Pats did way better than I ever could have thought.

Kaczur may be just fine.

as for Mankins, I can't guess at this, he is a Cowboy and he takes pride in certain things while the business of the NFL is anything but the handshake deal Mankins is used to in his life.

As we have all seen time and time again, what one person says and what the other person hears are not always the same thing.

If you guys could come here and see where this place, I think you could understand a little better.

We are in the Twilight zone here. We keep to ourselves. Our local paper, that comes out once a week, doesn't even talk about anything that is going on outside of the county. And even then, the whole county, that takes about 2 hours to drive across, only has about 15,000 people. You have to be a man of your word here, and Log never lost that.

I think I say enough that I hate the city. I hate leaving this place. People suck- they are assholes and you can't trust them. It's not like that here. People have integrity. A very slow way of life, but I love it. Population 300, bishes.

If you guys could come here and see where this place, I think you could understand a little better.

We are in the Twilight zone here. We keep to ourselves. Our local paper, that comes out once a week, doesn't even talk about anything that is going on outside of the county. And even then, the whole county, that takes about 2 hours to drive across, only has about 15,000 people. You have to be a man of your word here, and Log never lost that.

I think I say enough that I hate the city. I hate leaving this place. People suck- they are assholes and you can't trust them. It's not like that here. People have integrity. A very slow way of life, but I love it. Population 300, bishes.

So that means your family makes up like 10-15% of the entire population there?!?

I actually respect Logan for sticking with it, not becoming a slick city talker

JH, I hear what yu are sayin' however, Logan needs to come to terms with reality. He is not in the Twilight zone anymore and I think that if he intends to play for a long time in the NFL he needs to be able to adapt.

I'm not sayin that he needs to sacrifice his values however, he does need to learn about corporate life and how multi-million $ deals are struck. There is A LOT of posturing and double talk. There is A LOT of gameplay involved, it's called negotiations.

From reports, it does not seem as though he or his agent even attempted to negotiate, it looks as though he took it personal from the start and was 'hurt" by what was offered. You see that was their starting point... he very well may have gotten a better deal if they just negotiated.

It looks bad for him right now because it seems as though his agent failed him. If he doesn't learn from this real quick about how business' work he will be extremely dissapointed by any team that he may end up on. That's life in corporate America.

I know you know him personally and I don't mean to offend but as Bill says, "It is what it is."
---------------------------
Back to the thread topic... I hope Mankins situation only gets better and Wes is able to get out there week 1 (although I think it would better serve him to be place on PUP)

JH, I hear what yu are sayin' however, Logan needs to come to terms with reality. He is not in the Twilight zone anymore and I think that if he intends to play for a long time in the NFL he needs to be able to adapt.

I'm not sayin that he needs to sacrifice his values however, he does need to learn about corporate life and how multi-million $ deals are struck. There is A LOT of posturing and double talk. There is A LOT of gameplay involved, it's called negotiations.

From reports, it does not seem as though he or his agent even attempted to negotiate, it looks as though he took it personal from the start and was 'hurt" by what was offered. You see that was their starting point... he very well may have gotten a better deal if they just negotiated.

It looks bad for him right now because it seems as though his agent failed him. If he doesn't learn from this real quick about how business' work he will be extremely dissapointed by any team that he may end up on. That's life in corporate America.

I know you know him personally and I don't mean to offend but as Bill says, "It is what it is."
---------------------------
Back to the thread topic... I hope Mankins situation only gets better and Wes is able to get out there week 1 (although I think it would better serve him to be place on PUP)

I totally agree :)

You people out there are nuts. :toast:

I totally agree :)

You people out there are nuts. :toast:
I lived for a couple years in a place were if a guy drank a Bud one night instead of his usual Miller, people would talk about it forever. "No, not the day Bobby ripped his shirt on old man Sawyer's fence. I mean the week that Suzie let two library books get overdue, you know, the week after Hiram painted his back door. That's when Dave ordered a Miller Lite. Drank it, too, by gum."

Not for me, thanks.

I'm sure people who like it like that, really like it like that, but does that way of life REALLY include going ballistic when offered $7 mil a year? Somehow mankins seems to be violating the way of life he professes to follow.

Somehow I suspect that in your county if the cook at Willie's Diner is offered $50,000 a year, will he insult the owner, the man who gave him his first job in the diner industry, publicly question his integrity, just because the cook at the Bypass Dinner just got $60,000?

Doesn't sound like small town America to me. Mankins actions do not ring true to his "Man's word is his bond" spiel. It sounds more like a jaded, 'show me the money because my self-worth is tied to my paycheck' type of mentality.

In my experience, in small towns or big cities, when people say it isn't about the money, it's the principle...it's about the money.

I don't know. Mankins obviously feels that $35M isn't enough to afford to live there, so it's probably too pricey for me.

Man did anyone hear Tedy on NFL Live last night (it was on at a weird time due to soccer or something)? Tedy was absolutely ADAMANT that from what he knows of LM, that LM felt so provoked as to talk out this way...he ain't budging.

Regardless, I feel Logan blew it, and his Expensive Lawyer didn't help him one bit.

Back