Aldon Smith...

Adam Schefter<S>@</S>AdamSchefter<SMALL class=time>1h</SMALL>
LA Airport police detained 49ers LB Aldon Smith after he indicated he possessed a bomb, per public LA policeinformation officer Karla Ortiz.

:facepalm:

I understand the ridiculous TSA BS...but, you still need to keep your cool.

I was flying on a plane recently when I saw an old friend of mine stand up about 5 rows in front of me. I hadn't seen him in years. When I yelled out "Hi Jack!" things did not go well.

Adam Schefter <S>@</S>AdamSchefter <SMALL class=time>12m </SMALL>
LAPD booked 49ers LB Aldon Smith for California Penal Code 148.1(a) - False report of a bomb threat.

Adam Schefter <S>@</S>AdamSchefter <SMALL class=time>7m </SMALL>
For those wondering: False report of a bomb threat is punishable by up to a year in jail.

Adam Schefter <S>@</S>AdamSchefter <SMALL class=time>7m </SMALL>
For those wondering: False report of a bomb threat is punishable by up to a year in jail.

I think he got lucky with some creative charging. It does not appear to me that he REPORTED a bomb threat, it appears that he MADE a bomb threat. I presume those are two different animals.

Cheers, BostonTim

He must love flushing his NFL career down the drain. I wonder how long goodell will suspend him for now

I'm not rushing to any judgement on this one. As someone who has had their share of "random" extra screenings, some of these TSA screeners are complete bozos, and I don't trust them as far as I could throw them.

I'm not rushing to any judgement on this one. As someone who has had their share of "random" extra screenings, some of these TSA screeners are complete bozos, and I don't trust them as far as I could throw them.

They're borderline retarded and many are gang related. I agree.

Aldon should have kept his cool however.

At the least, Aldon Smith has a screw loose somewhere and continues to show no respect for authority. Here's a video of the incident that shows Smith being pretty calm after the handcuffs were applied.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IP30wZRp2l0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Smith has been arrested twice since 2012 for DUI and also is facing weapons charges relating to a sprawling house party that got out of control in 2012. Smith was stabbed at that party. In addition, he was involved in a rollover car crash near his home in San Jose in 2012.
Following his most recent DUI arrest in September, in which Smith was found passed out in a pickup truck that came to a stop in a residential front yard, Smith checked himself into a rehabilitation program and missed six weeks of the season.
Asked last month how Smith was doing, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said that progress was good and that he was encouraged by how Smith handled himself after returning from rehabilitation. "Thought he did a good job in all of those regards, as a player, as a teammate, decisions he was making," Harbaugh said. "Very encouraged."
Team owner Jed York last month said the team was doing everything in its power to help Smith, who set the franchise's single season sack record in 2012. "You can do so much," he said. "Somebody has to work for themselves if they're going to get through these issues. We want to be very supportive of Aldon and let him know that if he needs anything we're here for him. We want to make sure that he continues to work through this."
Sunday's incident, however, raises the possibility that Smith could be suspended by either the 49ers or the NFL, and it calls into question his future with the team. Smith is entering the final year of his contract. The 49ers could exercise a so-called fifth-year option for Smith, the seventh overall draft pick in 2011, but would have to decide on that by May 3.
If they exercise it, it would pay Smith nearly $10 million for the 2015 season. It would become fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2015 league year if he's still on the roster. The 49ers went 5-0 in the five games Smith missed last season, although four of their opponents in that stretch finished with losing records. Dan Skuta and Corey Lemonier filled in for Smith last season.
Smith's run in at the airport is only the latest in a growing and embarrassing list of police-blotter items involving 49ers players. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick and receiver Quinton Patton currently are part of an investigation involving a "suspicious incident" involving an unnamed, 25-year-old woman in Miami. Kaepernick has maintained his innocence in the affair.
Cornerback Chris Culliver on Friday was arraigned on two counts of misdemeanor hit-and-run and one count felony possession of metal knuckles after knocking over a bicyclist with his car last month. Culliver pled not guilty. The month prior to that, center Daniel Kilgore was arrested for public intoxication in Tennessee.
Two other 49ers have been arrested for DUI since 2012 while linebacker Ahmad Brooks was investigated after hitting a teammate in the head with a beer bottle last summer. Charges ultimately were not filed against Brooks.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/04/witnesses-aldon-smith-arrested-at-lax.html

At the least, Aldon Smith has a screw loose somewhere and continues to show no respect for authority. Here's a video of the incident that shows Smith being pretty calm after the handcuffs were applied.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IP30wZRp2l0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/04/witnesses-aldon-smith-arrested-at-lax.html
I'm with DChester on this one - we have no idea what he said. That video certainly suggests he's not exactly flipping out at the time. He doesn't seem intoxicated. We don't know if he said something (albeit stupid) along the lines of "what, you think I've got a bomb?" incredulously when they rifled through his stuff or something like that and one of the guys just misheard him and went apesh!t. At the end of the day, the guy obviously isn't a genius, but I don't necessarily think it's wise to start throwing out statements that he's sabotaging his career just based on this

I'm with DChester on this one - we have no idea what he said. That video certainly suggests he's not exactly flipping out at the time. He doesn't seem intoxicated. We don't know if he said something (albeit stupid) along the lines of "what, you think I've got a bomb?" incredulously when they rifled through his stuff or something like that and one of the guys just misheard him and went apesh!t. At the end of the day, the guy obviously isn't a genius, but I don't necessarily think it's wise to start throwing out statements that he's sabotaging his career just based on this

I agree. And I'm among the guilty here. But SCOTUS, in New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964) ruled that it's perfectly OK to have a little irresponsible fun with a public figure. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

My wife's cousin was visiting from Lithuania a few years ago.

Going through security at JFK going home he made a joke about having a bomb.

The TSA agent smiled and told him they can't ignore such statements, even if they're pretty sure it's a joke.

He spent three days in jail until he had his hearing.

So assuming that policy still stands, if he said the wrong thing, he would get busted.

And to think Jim Harbaugh recently mocked the Seahawks for their off-field troubles.

Back