Alex Van Pelt: New Offensive Coordinator

I'm hearing Van Pelt filled 3 needs: QB coach experience, Offensive coaching experience and he was cheap.

I don't know about the cheap, but I think the experienced ties into something important; he might be one of those guys that at this point in his career is OK being an OC. All the young guns are a threat to be jump ship in two or three years if the rebuild goes well. I think, again if all goes well, AvP could lend some stability to the posistion.

This will take several years to get it right. This will not be the quick fix some think it will be.

I agree, so many people just want to put bandaids on this this year and get back to the playoffs. All that is going to lead to is a first round exit and a back half of the draft pick in '25. My biggest fear is that the team picks a QB at #3 because that is what they have to do to get he fans excited again. You should pick someone in the top 3 that you truly believe in, not someone you have to talk yourself into.

It's pretty hard to dig out his roots; His first job in the NFL was under Turk Schonert who was brought up under Sam Wyche....to give you an idea how far he goes back.
Sam Wyche is 1st gen WCO and the Hackett is 2nd gen (Kubiak).

I agree, so many people just want to put bandaids on this this year and get back to the playoffs. All that is going to lead to is a first round exit and a back half of the draft pick in '25. My biggest fear is that the team picks a QB at #3 because that is what they have to do to get he fans excited again. You should pick someone in the top 3 that you truly believe in, not someone you have to talk yourself into.
I keep pounding the table on this one and I hope that the Patriots front office agrees - if MHJ is there at 3, you take him at 3. If Williams is there at 3, take him at 3. Otherwise, trade out and try again next year, and can probably pick up Odunze and Alt or someone similar in the process.

Basically what I got from Groh's statement, is that they're not taking a tackle in the first round - which means they're sticking at 3.

I keep pounding the table on this one and I hope that the Patriots front office agrees - if MHJ is there at 3, you take him at 3. If Williams is there at 3, take him at 3. Otherwise, trade out and try again next year, and can probably pick up Odunze and Alt or someone similar in the process.

Basically what I got from Groh's statement, is that they're not taking a tackle in the first round - which means they're sticking at 3.

When I read that I immediately thought of MHJ.

I totally agree with you guys. If Williams or MHJ is there when our pick comes, we take him, no questions asked. If neither is there, look for killer trades with the pick because Maye, Daniels, Nix, and McCarthy have not proved to anyone that they can be top-level NFL QBs.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you guys. If Williams or MHJ is there when our pick comes, we take him, no questions asked. If neither is there, look for killed trades with the pick because Maye, Daniels, Nix, and McCarthy have not proved to anyone that they can be top-level NFL QBs.
Some people are a lot higher on Maye than I am - I don't know how much of it is copium on their part, or jaded bastard on my part. While I personally would hate and seethe at Maye at 3, I certainly wouldn't kill the Patriots too badly if that was their move, if they really think he's the guy.

In my mind - Williams/Maye is really a Bledsoe/Mirer situation, where other people think they're the same guy.

I mean, I'd take Harrison over Williams if there wasn't a glaring hole at QB, personally.

I don't care about glue but the more I learn about Van Pelt the more I like this hire. He's a solid culture guy who can unite our offensive players to all pull
in the same direction in unison as one. If he has any say in this draft with pick #3 to pick a QB, he'll want a guy who stands strong in the pocket but also
has enough athleticism to extend a play when needed. Maye? Van Pelt should be able to teach Maye not to make all those bad decisions with the ball he
made last year. And just maybe Van Pelt could help pull Baker Mayfield away from Tampa Bay.

View: https://twitter.com/NBCSBoston/status/1753456417980207213

I don't care about glue but the more I learn about Van Pelt the more I like this hire. He's a solid culture guy who can unite our offensive players to all pull
in the same direction in unison as one. If he has any say in this draft with pick #3 to pick a QB, he'll want a guy who stands strong in the pocket but also
has enough athleticism to extend a play when needed. Maye? Van Pelt should be able to teach Maye not to make all those bad decisions with the ball he
made last year. And just maybe Van Pelt could help pull Baker Mayfield away from Tampa Bay.

View: https://twitter.com/NBCSBoston/status/1753456417980207213

If he helps us get Mayfield, Halleluja. We can then get MHJ or another receiver OR one of the premier tackles.

And now Van Pelt will be joined by…….Ben MacAdoo.

Really? This is who we now are? The area of most need will now be under Van Pelt and McAdoo.

This is the best we can get. Welcome to the new Patriots. Or is it welcome back to the old Patriots before Belichick.

Nobody wants to come here.

And now Van Pelt will be joined by…….Ben MacAdoo.

Really? This is who we now are? The area of most need will now be under Van Pelt and McAdoo.

This is the best we can get. Welcome to the new Patriots. Or is it welcome back to the old Patriots before Belichick.

I certainly wouldn't. Would you? Why would they?
We offer a poor OL, our best WR is a rookie smurf and we have a QB afraid of his own shadow. It's a graveyard for offensive coaches.

Interesting that Eliot Wolf, Alex Van Pelt and now Ben MacAdoo were all on the Packers staff together for 7 years.
Wolf seems to have Mayo's ear.

Last edited:

Carve that into the mountainside. I think this is clearly the case at present and I can't say that I blame the
recruits for looking for a better situation. Mayo is a calculated risk and we simply aren't buzz-worthy
enough for people looking to latch on to a rising situation.

I suppose the way to tunnel out of this is one spoonful at a time. Try to get some really good
draft choices/FAs in here and fill in some of the big needs. Chances are that we will not be
competitive next year, but if we can somehow keep it going on D and things progress on Offense then
maybe we'll start attracting some positivity, but for the time being our philosophy has to be that it's
last call and the twos are starting to look like eights.

My biggest fear is that we'll lose the synch we had on D and go right through the floorboards, but
I suppose it's possible that Jerod might be the leader people think he is or could be and he can rally the troops to
be dangerous desperados who simply don't give a shit what anybody thinks of them.

So far, though, the coaching hires are not inspiring, but it's early in the process and maybe we can find some
promising Jimmys and Joes to override the X's and O's and surprise some people, ourselves included. That's as
close to optimism I can manage at this point.

But......long......way.......to......go.

I think the fact that nobody wants to come here is more of an indictment of the ownership. This is a very disturbing trend in my opinion and I’ll be sitting back and hoping I’m wrong, but we might be headed for dark times. I hope to God I’m wrong I really do because we all want our teams to succeed…

Carve that into the mountainside. I think this is clearly the case at present and I can't say that I blame the
recruits for looking for a better situation. Mayo is a calculated risk and we simply aren't buzz-worthy
enough for people looking to latch on to a rising situation.

I suppose the way to tunnel out of this is one spoonful at a time. Try to get some really good
draft choices/FAs in here and fill in some of the big needs. Chances are that we will not be
competitive next year, but if we can somehow keep it going on D and things progress on Offense then
maybe we'll start attracting some positivity, but for the time being our philosophy has to be that it's
last call and the twos are starting to look like eights.

My biggest fear is that we'll lose the synch we had on D and go right through the floorboards, but
I suppose it's possible that Jerod might be the leader people think he is or could be and he can rally the troops to
be dangerous desperados who simply don't give a shit what anybody thinks of them.

So far, though, the coaching hires are not inspiring, but it's early in the process and maybe we can find some
promising Jimmys and Joes to override the X's and O's and surprise some people, ourselves included. That's as
close to optimism I can manage at this point.

But......long......way.......to......go.
I agree. I think our mindsets have to totally reset here and we need to move away from any expectation that we could be playoff quality for at least 2 seasons, maybe more. We are at rock bottom, one of the worst teams in the league with one of the worst rosters.

I have no issue if this is a slow, careful re-build as long as some semblance of progress is made. Even if it's just looking at the roster. A better corp on the O Line, a few better receivers, something that we can see will lead to a better team eventually.

It will take 2-3 years to look like a decent place to work IF things go well.
Losing Steve Belichick, who called defensive plays for the last 4 years, could be a big problem.
But McAdoo hasn't agreed to take the job here! I can't really blame him for flinching at the thought.

Back