Alex Van Pelt: New Offensive Coordinator

What McAdoo does bring is experience in coaching SF's zone blocking schemes for the WCO.
Seems more and more we're heading to the WCO.
That's a very good thing imo.

What McAdoo does bring is experience in coaching SF's zone blocking schemes for the WCO.
Seems more and more we're heading to the WCO.
That's a very good thing imo.
Have we ever used it and if so when?

I never knew much about Van Pelt, but the guy has been around for a long time. In the NFL that doesn’t just happen. Looking at him you wouldn’t realize that he was a QB in the league for a relatively long time, but apparently he was.
Seems like he did well as the Bengals QB coach. The Browns offense last year dealt with a ton of adversity. I don’t think most people realize just good the rookies on the Texans defense are. These guys were good draft picks and developed over the season. The fact that they beat the browns in the playoffs wasn’t surprising. The Texans are gonna be hard to handle for a long time for any team. If Van Pelt was the scapegoat for that loss… I don’t see that as a huge knock on the guy.
He’s not my first or even top five choice, but the more I read and hear about him the happier I am. I’m happier about him than I was O’Brien last year. I’ve never been an O’Brien fan. He’s certainly better than Patricia. He is coming into a very difficult situation. Hopefully he can see what this class of rookie QBs are capable of, and if it’s worth taking one of these guys.

Last edited:
But McAdoo hasn't agreed to take the job here! I can't really blame him for flinching at the thought.
i mean...i don't blame any coach that tells them to fuck off after how assholish kraft acted in his solo presser over terminating a guy who coached 6 sb wins, plus his leaks.

Interesting that Eliot Wolf, Alex Van Pelt and now Ben MacAdoo were all on the Packers staff together for 7 years.
Wolf seems to have Mayo's ear.
Yes. My thinking too.

i mean...i don't blame any coach that tells them to fuck off after how assholish kraft acted in his solo presser over terminating a guy who coached 6 sb wins, plus his leaks.
The past shouldn't keep being used as a excuse. He failed his own motto these past 2 1/2 seasons DO YOUR JOB.

The past shouldn't keep being used as a excuse. He failed his own motto these past 2 1/2 seasons DO YOUR JOB.
this isn't about bill fucking up. this is about how kraft acted when he canned him and how that might make a coach pause before he thought about going to n.e.

this isn't about bill fucking up. this is about how kraft acted when he canned him and how that might make a coach pause before he thought about going to n.e.
He was HC & GM. He is fully responsible for the FO & teams performance. The rebuild has been a failure. The offense getting worse each year.

Last edited:
He was HC & GM. He is fully responsible for the FO & teams performance. The rebuild has been a failure. The offense getting worse each year.
We'll see after a year of two:

1. THe offense starts getting bad under HC #1
2. We get a bonanza of high draft position AND a lot of cap $$$
3. Under HC #2 the offense continues to get bad.
4. Conclusion: The problem was HC #1

This is the mindset I'm in, and it is the reason I'm not in at QB at 3 no matter what. Once you accept that you aren't one piece/season away from contending other paths out of the dumps make sense.
The consensus top 3 QBs aren't the best QBs in the draft. The best value is 100% not QB at 3. Stockpile talent.

The consensus top 3 QBs aren't the best QBs in the draft. The best value is 100% not QB at 3. Stockpile talent.
Viking want a Top 3 QB. Pats could easily get 2 firsts , 2nd & 3rd. I'm all for getting assets to fix the offense. #11 Should still get Washington Odunze.

Last edited:
Viking want a Top 3 QB. Pats could easily get 2 firsts , 2nd & 3rd. I'm all for getting assets to fix the offense. #11 Should still get Washington Odunze.

I would much prefer one of the OTs, until we've picked I'm going to say we should be after NYG pick at 6, and hopefully their two 2nds.

Have we ever used it (west coast offense) and if so when?

As King said, we messed around with it starting in 2022 TC, but it was described as a disaster in terms
of blocking and so it was quickly scrapped. Of course, the blocking continued to be a mess throughout the
season using our regular scheme, but there have been times since where we would use some zone-blocking schemes
but it never lasted for long.

We have had too many issues with the OL both in terms of talent-level and in coaching to adapt to a new system.

I'd say that few teams, if any, have avoided the WCO as successfully as we have since the Niners popularized it
under Bill Walsh. It seems like everybody has at least messed around with it for a few years.

If we do commit to it then it might help the career of at least one guy up front. It's been speculated that Cole Strange
has an ideal skill set for zone-blocking and has been somewhat miscast in our system since he's been here.

All I know is that things can't get a hell of a lot worse. I'm ready for a fresh approach. I want a simplified system that
doesn't take years to learn and features large, fast, athletes who can make plays and is not limited by a lack of arm talent
at QB.

Last edited:
Back