Alzheimer's

Jenn and everyone else, please feel free to share funny stories. I will need them. You are right. I hope I don't forget to laugh for I so do love to laugh often and as much as I can. Love that tattoo story. LOL

The look on the visiting nurses faces was priceless LMAO....I can still see her face as she said it too!! My Mom and I didnt always have the best relationship, but as I got older we did. We had some great times even when she got sick. In the end she thought she was a prison warden, thought our kids were still babies but for us it was ok. By then the cancer was in the brain too so as long she wasnt in pain we were ok with it.

I'm sorry for laughing for I know I will be in this position in just a matter of days and it won't be funny. Oh man I don't drink but I might start. I do drink wine, does that count? I may need to get some bottles.

My sister was always home by 5:30 and I had her glass of wine poured and waiting for her. I had started mine 2 hours earlier. She spit wine through her nose that day. We actually couldn't stop laughing. That was the day I stole the wallet, so it no longer mattered what she did with the purse. And yes, you'll need to keep that stuff handy.

Pyxis

Also, massage therapy for you should be added to the agenda.

Jenn, I also sleep well at night knowing that last year was a really good one for her. I took her to thrift stores, sometimes twice a day, because she just loved that. She needed to gain wait, so I gave her more shrimp than I can recall. We had a blast doing a lot of things, until that surgery and she lost it.

The look on the visiting nurses faces was priceless LMAO....I can still see her face as she said it too!! My Mom and I didnt always have the best relationship, but as I got older we did. We had some great times even when she got sick. In the end she thought she was a prison warden, thought our kids were still babies but for us it was ok. By then the cancer was in the brain too so as long she wasnt in pain we were ok with it.
That's it you just don't want them hurting on any level.

My sister was always home by 5:30 and I had her glass of wine poured and waiting for her. I had started mine 2 hours earlier. She spit wine through her nose that day. We actually couldn't stop laughing. That was the day I stole the wallet, so it no longer mattered what she did with the purse. And yes, you'll need to keep that stuff handy.

Pyxis

Recommendation. I know what I like but any suggestions I'm open to. :cute:

Whichever you like. I drink red, my sister likes white. Just be sure to have an extra one around. Some days, you won't really need it. Other days....

For regular usage I like Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi. The big bottles are best. Her doctor told us to let her have what she wanted. At 88 with no health issues, let her have her drinks. She likes vodka and sprite.

Whichever you like. I drink red, my sister likes white. Just be sure to have an extra one around. Some days, you won't really need it. Other days....

For regular usage I like Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi. The big bottles are best. Her doctor told us to let her have what she wanted. At 88 with no health issues, let her have her drinks. She likes vodka and sprite.

Noted. I do prefer white but at church we get red. :LOL:

She doesn't drink but her daughter in NC might start even more so.

We will be meeting my sister halfway tomorrow, and if all goes well weather wise on their end, will see my mom around 11:00 am.

I been busy trying to get all ducks in a row here. The list in my mind is long on what I need to do before she gets here. What is nice is she will be here for my son's birthday. The first time she has been with him on his birthday. I already called my mother in law in SC about it. This is their only grandchild so far so they come up for everything from birthdays to awards and all graduations. I think they have missed his birthday just a couple of times. But they have a big convention, my father in law is a retired preacher and they are still active. But they will try to make it. That would be awesome for it will be the firset and probably last time the kid will have all his grandparents with him on his birthday. Can we say pictures galore?

But am thinking in advance. Got my wine and on Elle's suggestion might make a trip to the store.

Thank you all again for the comments and well wishes.

My Dad had Dementia and the biggest thing is patience. Dad got, not aggravated but frustrated as the disease progressed and the look of blankness on a daily basis was like a punch to your heart.

Have patience and be supportive. Old stories may jog a memory stored way back in the brain.

And remember, it's the disease, not the person. Remember the person.

I miss dad a lot...thanks for the post, it helped me remember him.

Terrible disease.

My experience with this horrible affliction comes from working in facilities and helping care for these residents. These are just my observations over the years.
Regarding anesthesia - I totally agree that people are affected by it - some more so than others. Not too long ago I read an article that was trying to debunk this - actually I don't think that I bothered to finish the article as my experience made me disagree with what was presented.
Just like we are all individuals, each person with this disease presents differently. And many of them don't deal well with change - but you really can't tell when this can happen.
And you absolutely MUST allow yourself to take care of yourself - you are still helping your loved one by taking time for yourself.
And this probably sounds biased but is not meant to be - sometimes having our loved one enter a facility is not the worst thing we can do to them as it can benefit both parties. Just need to find what is best for all.
Muse, good luck. And God Bless all of you who are currently dealing with this or have in the past.

Gina

I been taking care of my mom for 24 hours a day for 14 days now. I'm mentally and physically tired. Tellng her that I need to stop, slow down, I need to take a break since I am not well is pointless. She has to do something all the time while she is up regardless of what it is will drive me batty. Having to be on point from the minute she is up to the minute she is asleep is how it is now. Plus this woman gets up earlly. So I get up an hour before her to get some small stuff done which I know won't get done during the day.

Muse, I would recommend getting in touch with some of the senior resources in your area to get you some time off. There must be some help available. Start with your local Senior Center (usually funded by the town or city). They usually have Social Workers who know the agencies in the area.

No care giver can go 24/7/365. Everyone needs a break. In the end you won't be able to help your mom if you break-down, emotionally or physically.

My Nana has full blown alziemzers. She has a nurses aid coming in from 9 to 5. To take care of her. Put her to bed 7 days a week.

Muse, I would recommend getting in touch with some of the senior resources in your area to get you some time off. There must be some help available. Start with your local Senior Center (usually funded by the town or city). They usually have Social Workers who know the agencies in the area.

No care giver can go 24/7/365. Everyone needs a break. In the end you won't be able to help your mom if you break-down, emotionally or physically.

I have looked. My problem is mom does not like large or loud crowds. She does not like being around people she does not know. She speaks primarily French, down my way it is English and Spanish.

I know something has to give or change before it gets worse. My big mental break was yesterday when I had my son watch her when I went to the pain clinic. For 2 1/2 hours I didn't have to worry about her.

I have looked at programs in town but I will need to be with her she won't do it herself or be left alone not when she is this far from home and her only relative is me.

Stil looking. My support group in town well to be putting it bluntly they suck at helping me especially when I have helped them repeatedly when they needed it. I do need a break even though I feel bad for saying it but I do.

My Nana has full blown alziemzers. She has a nurses aid coming in from 9 to 5. To take care of her. Put her to bed 7 days a week.

She's not home, she is with us for a bit.We know soon she will be heading to a home or assisted living or something.

I forgot to mention. For those who have not read the entire thread or OP my mom is with me six weeks for now. My sister in VA went up to Maine to get her in January for a visit. She was with her for five weeks, now it is my turn. Afterwards she will be heading back to VA for a bit more. We are not sure when she is going back to Maine and if she will be heading back with me once she leaves.

I have looked. My problem is mom does not like large or loud crowds. She does not like being around people she does not know. She speaks primarily French, down my way it is English and Spanish.

I don't think BD necessarily meant to look to Senior Centers for your Mom to go to, but as a resource for you! As in any Senior Centers in the area that offer outreach services to give YOU a break here and there.
Best Wishes!

I forgot to mention. For those who have not read the entire thread or OP my mom is with me six weeks for now. My sister in VA went up to Maine to get her in January for a visit. She was with her for five weeks, now it is my turn. Afterwards she will be heading back to VA for a bit more. We are not sure when she is going back to Maine and if she will be heading back with me once she leaves.

If she does come back to Maine and you need anything whatsoever, please let me know..I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can!

Muse, please know i am thinking of you, a difficult situation to be in for sure but one you will look back and be glad you did. I never regret the time i took to help my mom, then dad. I was miserable attimes but i cherish the time as i reflect on it.

Thanks ladies. Michelle I will defiitely keep that in mind, thanks so much.

I am treasuring the memories. Even if it seems I am not. This was the first year my son had all his grandparents on his birthday. That meant pictures, videos and great times. I'm sitting by her as we rock and knit a memory I will always enjoy. We take walks, watch wrestling, wresterns and shows we watched growing up.

I am recording this all on tape, in film and in brain cell. I been interviewing her the last few times I been visiting and am doing that now to get her live for memories when she is no longer with us or no longer know who we are. This is a fantastic opportunity for my family and we are embracing it.

But I can't be Musie sunshine 24/7 though I never let her know it, I don't get angry at her or yell at her, it is not her fault she is not doing this on purpose. I know this. I don't get upset with her or at her for the same reason. It is how it is and my new normal is this while she is with me. Just there are times I need to yell on the inside and here. Perhaps I been complaining to much?

The band of emotins is wide as you all know who have dealt with this. Mostly with my sister back home who has no clue and yet lives just down the street from mom but rather her be in a nursing home then deal with it. And mom is not there yet I been around a lot of relatives who have Alzheimers and she is not there yet. My sister in VA agrees.

So the roller coaster of guilt and happiness, joy and frustration, frustration and pure elation keep rumbling inside of me. Bottom line mom is welcome here and I will do my best my family will do their best.

This is not something I regret and will do it again if need be. My mom is the bomb,

I'm rambling and now need to get ready for church. Thanks everyone, it helps to come here.

One of THE best part is hearing mom sing in French and us speaking in French. Jasper lovers her and follows her all over the place. That I have on tape. Plus her and him singing together is just so much full of win. LOL

p.s. BD and Bish I didn't mean to put aside your remarks. I will be making a list and making calls this week to see what we have to offer in this area. To see what help is out there.

Back