Am I a hypocrite about Corey Dillon?

TrueBeliever

Hater hater
Reaction score
Here's da thing: I'm really big on character. I was pissed the way Tuna acted in '96 and then after he left NE for NY. I was pissed about Dave Meggett after the stunt he pulled with the hooker and I was glad we cut him after that. I don't like players who mouth off to the coach and/or take stuff public (Jeff George, Keyshawn).

To me Drew Bledsoe was the shining star of character. Even when it wasn't always his fault, he'd be the first guy telling the media "I can't point the finger at anyone else until I play a perfect game"; the way he handled it when he was traded to Buffalo, etc. etc.

So tonight I'm watching the Cincy game and the (Cincy) announcer is chiding Corey Dillon about "being ungrateful for the years of opportunity he had here." As you may or may not know, after Cincy's last game of the season last year Dillon threw his equipment into the stands as his way of saying he didn't intend to be back in '04.

So you'd think I'd think that was a really crappy thing for him to do. But I don't.

Here's why: Bungles owner Mike Brown is AN IDIOT. His refusal to accept that his father, the late great Paul Brown, had more football knowledge in his pinky toe than Mike has in his whole head made the Bungles the laughingstock of the league for over a decade. Mike insisted on running the show and for years the team went nowhere, even with one of the league's premier RBs on the roster. For a time the Bungles were the NFL's version of the L.A. Clippers - an organization filled with players who were just doing the best they could until they reached free agency and could get the hell out; an owner determined not to spend a dime over what he absolutely positively had to in order to put a minimally acceptable product on the field.

Take this example: I'll be the first one to say pro athletes are overpaid, but when Mike Brown would interview free agent players, he flew them in coach and expected them to pay for any expenses at the hotel above and beyond the room cost (i.e. no room service or even taking stuff out of the mini-bar). Cripes, the Division III University of Wisconsin school I went to treated professors they were interviewing better than that.

Brown should've done what the Packers did in the early '90's - seek out an above-average GM (Brown wanted to handle that job himself) who could pick a rising star head coach who could in turn convince a big-name free agent (the Packers used Reggie White) to come to your city and show that the rebuilding process has begun. Brown is finally doing that more or less, but his fans suffered through years and years of hapless squads before he finally got his butt in gear.

So even though I usually don't like players who piss and moan and pull stunts like Dillon did in Cincy, I can't really blame him either because of the situation he was in.

So there.

Well, we dont know yet. I always thought Dillon would be fine as long as we won. He looked bad, and the OL did nothing for him last night. What did he say? "I ain't making excuses, we got outplayed." So far, so good. I to could see why he would hate it there. Thats why Sanders retired...Why play for a team, that no matter what you do sucks?

I'll believe he's detrimental to a team when we start losing games because of his "presence" alone. He was with the Bunghol's for how many years, and when the going got good, he was treated unfairly. I was going to say you don't lose your job due to injury, then I'm reminded of Bledsoe of 2001. I think the situation is a little different in Corey's case. He was the guy until Marvin came along and took the ball out of his hands, like they could win without him. I'm sure that after racking up mileage for one team to not even being an option going into the next year has to weigh heavily on your psyche.

You're right though, he's made some mistakes on the field that if he wasn't wearing a Pats jersey I"d never forgive him for. At least now he got 16+ games to remove all doubt about his character.

Funny, I read your post, and I immediately thought of the day the Eagle fans cheered Irvin's injury. I can't even explain why.

Believer, I'd agree with you BUT.... Dillon extended his contract with the Browns back in 01 because they offered him a ton of money.

It's pretty hard feeling sorry for a guy who CHOSE to stay with a lousy organization just because they were paying him the big bucks. He could have easily gone and played somewhere else. And we obviously know he didn't chose to stay in Cincy out of loyalty to the team. It was all about the money.

Dillon made his bed but instead of lying in it, he burned it, then blamed everyone else. IMO, he is a whining piece of sh*t. On his way out the door he trashed, not only the organization, but his teammates and the fans. He's a low-class bum who, if I had a say, would never wear a Pats uniform.

That being said... He is in a Pats uniform and until he does something to disgrace it I will cheer for him, just as I would any other Patriot player. But the second he throws a temper tantrum or pulls any of his other stunts I hope BB has enough sense to kick his sorry arse out the door.

mgoblue101415 said:
Dillon extended his contract with the Browns back in 01 because they offered him a ton of money...

...He could have easily gone and played somewhere else. And we obviously know he didn't chose to stay in Cincy out of loyalty to the team. It was all about the money...

Dillon made his bed but instead of lying in it, he burned it, then blamed everyone else. IMO, he is a whining piece of sh*t. On his way out the door he trashed, not only the organization, but his teammates and the fans.

I remember Dillion being a superstar running back who could have signed anywhere for more money and a better situation than he was in at the time with Cincinatti. I seem to remember a hometown discount and a promise that if he was going to win the Superbowl it was with the Bengals.

I don't see that cheapskate Mike Brown doing anything different in his hiring of Marvin Lewis. For short money he picked a co-ordinator who was just happy to get his first coaching job. Would Crenell or Weiss hessitate to sign with the Raiders or Bills even though both jobs wouldn't have been the best situation for either. No, the Truth is that Mike Brown got luckey with Marvin Lewis. A coach who was willing to blow up all the Bengals losing ways and insert his own system.
Don't get me wrong, good for him. But Cory Dillion didn't much like having his life turned upside down, so he got out.

Sometimes, and this I know from expirence, the guy with the biggest heart can do the most irrevocable damage. Dillion neeed a new start 'cuz he screwed things up so bad with Smiths new system it seemed eaiser for him to start over with a new team than try and repair things. As a pats fan, I hope he finds what he's looking for.

oh and for the record, Dillion played for the Bengals, not the Browns. :eek: o:)

Supkem said:
I remember Dillion being a superstar running back who could have signed anywhere for more money and a better situation than he was in at the time with Cincinatti. I seem to remember a hometown discount and a promise that if he was going to win the Superbowl it was with the Bengals.

I don't see that cheapskate Mike Brown doing anything different in his hiring of Lovie Smith. For short money he picked a co-ordinator who was just happy to get his first coaching job. Would Crenell or Weiss hessitate to sign with the Raiders or Bills even though both jobs wouldn't have been the best situation for either. No, the Truth is that Mike Brown got luckey with Lovie Smith. A coach who was willing to blow up all the Bengals losing ways and insert his own system.
Don't get me wrong, good for him. But Cory Dillion didn't much like having his life turned upside down, so he got out.

Sometimes, and this I know from expirence, the guy with the biggest heart can do the most irrevocable damage. Dillion neeed a new start 'cuz he screwed things up so bad with Smiths new system it seemed eaiser for him to start over with a new team than try and repair things. As a pats fan, I hope he finds what he's looking for.

oh and for the record, Dillion played for the Bengals, not the Browns. :eek: o:)

LOL, you've never heard of the Cincy Browns??? Reading about Mike Brown, I just had Brown on the brain. I mean, I did say Cincy. But please forgive me my error. :grovel:

Oh, and speaking of errors.... Lovie Smith is a coach in Cincy?? I know before the Bears he was the DC in St. Louis, and before that he was the LB's coach in TB, but don't recall him ever being in Cincy. Unless of course you're referring to Marvin Lewis perhaps??????

mgoblue101415 said:

It's pretty hard feeling sorry for a guy who CHOSE to stay with a lousy organization just because they were paying him the big bucks. He could have easily gone and played somewhere else. And we obviously know he didn't chose to stay in Cincy out of loyalty to the team. It was all about the money.

Dillon made his bed but instead of lying in it, he burned it, then blamed everyone else. IMO, he is a whining piece of sh*t. On his way out the door he trashed, not only the organization, but his teammates and the fans. He's a low-class bum who, if I had a say, would never wear a Pats uniform.

So I guess Sanders was all about the money as well. He stayed with a pathetic franchise when they absolutely sucked. So you wanna bury Corey, bury others along side him. Corey wanted to win, gave his dedication and tear to it. What did he get out of it? Spending january's at home seeing who his team is gonne pick #1 overall.

TrueBeliever said:
Here's da thing: I'm really big on character. I was pissed the way Tuna acted in '96 and then after he left NE for NY. I was pissed about Dave Meggett after the stunt he pulled with the hooker and I was glad we cut him after that. I don't like players who mouth off to the coach and/or take stuff public (Jeff George, Keyshawn).

To me Drew Bledsoe was the shining star of character. Even when it wasn't always his fault, he'd be the first guy telling the media "I can't point the finger at anyone else until I play a perfect game"; the way he handled it when he was traded to Buffalo, etc. etc.

So tonight I'm watching the Cincy game and the (Cincy) announcer is chiding Corey Dillon about "being ungrateful for the years of opportunity he had here." As you may or may not know, after Cincy's last game of the season last year Dillon threw his equipment into the stands as his way of saying he didn't intend to be back in '04.

So you'd think I'd think that was a really crappy thing for him to do. But I don't.
I agree with you about character being important, which is why I'll always be a fan of Bledsoe, as long as he's not playing against the Pats.

I don't know enough about Dillon throwing his uniform into the stands, but it's possible he was just doing it to give some souvenirs to the fans. There will be plenty of time to see how Dillon carrys himself as a Patriot, and if he gets out of line, there will be a lot of his peers to get him back in track. If all else fails, Belichick has shown he'll make the tough move if needed (ala Terry Glenn).
________
BMW N62 history

When i heard Dillon was going to be a PATRIOT my first thought was ohhhhhhhhhh $hi* there goes the "team fist" attitude. our locker room will be a freaking circus..... then i calmed down (a few days later) and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Would BB really bring a "cancer" into our locker room? Now ever interview with Dillon that I've heard has been positive.IE.. I'm here to play a role,I'll do whatever is asked of me,I'm just glad to be a part of this TEAM.we got outplayed ...period. Ive got no reason to doubt his sincerity yet I'm still a tad bit apprehensive. I want to see how he reacts to losing if BB sits him for a quarter or after a losing streak ( if we go on a losing streak:D ) Hopefully it was more of a maturity factor. Could he have done some soul searching and realized he needed to smarten the F up? we will see,but for now he's aces in my book :thumb:

BionicPatriot said:
Well, we dont know yet. I always thought Dillon would be fine as long as we won. He looked bad, and the OL did nothing for him last night. What did he say? "I ain't making excuses, we got outplayed." So far, so good. I to could see why he would hate it there. Thats why Sanders retired...Why play for a team, that no matter what you do sucks?

Tough when getting stuffed behind the line. It was a bad day at the office starting with Matt Light leaving Brady completely on his own to get crunched.

Hopefully Matt will get his timing back.

I hate to be an enabler for problem children, but Dillon is a little bit different.

First off, he had a LOT of problems as a young man and it continued on in college with a few notable incidents including the time he kicked the crap out of four cops.

Dillon was a certified badass before he ever got to the NFL.

Since then, he has managed to clean up his act and has no serious problems with the law and performed very well for a very bad team.

There is no position physically tougher than tailback and when you are the offense, on a one-dimensional team like the Bungles have usually been, it gets even tougher.

There are a lot of guys who would have broken under the strain of carrying a team like that year in and year out, but Dillon- to his credit- stood up and did his job.

Trying to put myself in his shoes, maybe he could see his career ebbing away there after taking a brutal pounding for years in a fruitless attempt to get the Yikes stripes into the win column a little more often and I think he just finally got frustrated and snapped resulting in his popping off in the media and tossing his gear in the stands etc.

If he wants to win half as bad as he says he does, then I am going to cut the guy some slack. It is pretty understandable in a lot of ways, but given his history it is a little scary.

They say that zebras don't change their stripes, but maybe this ex-bengal can.

Come September when we are watching him run people OVER, then he is going to earn his Patriot "merit badge" pretty quick.

mgoblue101415 said:
LOL, you've never heard of the Cincy Browns??? Reading about Mike Brown, I just had Brown on the brain. I mean, I did say Cincy. But please forgive me my error. :grovel:

Oh, and speaking of errors.... Lovie Smith is a coach in Cincy?

Touche'

hi guys,
new to the board and yes i am a bengals fan. here's my take on corey dillon. the guy is a great running back on the field but is an idiot off of it. here is some of the things that he has done in his career with the bengals

1. spousal abuse
2. made the statement that he would rather flip burgers than play in cincinnati, then he signs his new deal.
3. took himself out of games and got into the face of his coaches. i could see him doing this to coslet because he was a moron but when he did it to jim anderson arguably the best running backs coach in the nfl today, he lost some of my respect.
4. the trade me to dallas comments last year while the bengals were winning and favorites to win the division.
5. calling the probowl tackle who has blocked for him his entire career and stuck up for him a bum on bdssp.

l lost all respect for the man and no it is not because that he wanted out of cincy (takeo spikes is still one of my favorite players). you guys will see what i mean if you have an bad year or if cd doesn't feel he is getting enough carries or reconigiton.

First Bideau loses his avatar, now I lose my identity...WHY!!!

AND he's a Bengals fan crapping on Dillon.

DAMN YOU!!!

Cincy made thier decision on Dillon. They decided to go with another RB.
You can't blame Dillon for that.

spidey said:
hi guys,
new to the board and yes i am a bengals fan. here's my take on corey dillon. the guy is a great running back on the field but is an idiot off of it. here is some of the things that he has done in his career with the bengals

1. spousal abuse
2. made the statement that he would rather flip burgers than play in cincinnati, then he signs his new deal.
3. took himself out of games and got into the face of his coaches. i could see him doing this to coslet because he was a moron but when he did it to jim anderson arguably the best running backs coach in the nfl today, he lost some of my respect.
4. the trade me to dallas comments last year while the bengals were winning and favorites to win the division.
5. calling the probowl tackle who has blocked for him his entire career and stuck up for him a bum on bdssp.

l lost all respect for the man and no it is not because that he wanted out of cincy (takeo spikes is still one of my favorite players). you guys will see what i mean if you have an bad year or if cd doesn't feel he is getting enough carries or reconigiton.

spiderman said:
First Bideau loses his avatar, now I lose my identity...WHY!!!

Because you're an evil Rep....

ooooops....that goes in the Political Thread. Sorry 'bout that. ;)

mgoblue101415 said:
Believer, I'd agree with you BUT.... Dillon extended his contract with the Browns back in 01 because they offered him a ton of money.

That really isn't true.

The Bungles slapped Dillon with the transition tag that year. That meant they could match any offer he received elsewhere, putting him in a bad situation. Given that the Bungles were set on keeping Dillon, and had the cap room to match any offer, it would have taken a huge offer to dissuade Cinci from matching. Remember, a transition tag provides NO draft compensation. So in that respect, it can be even harder to pry away a transition tagged FA, as the original team gets nothing in return. And besides, Mike Brown had already vowed to match any offer Dillon received..

And why did Cinci transition tag Dillon? Because they had lost their franchise tag over Carl Pickens. Once they got that back the next year, they could slap it on Dillon indefinitely. If he were to ultimately get franchised, he would be stuck with the Bungles unless and until somebody had offered a huge contract and was willing to pony up the two 1st round draft pick compensation.

Dillon didn't sign the contract extension until May of 2001, well after the Bungles had transition tagged him. Cinci had the upper hand, and Dillon had little option but to sign an extension if he wanted to get anything.

While Dillon did sign the big money contract, it wasn't like he took the money when offered, then b*tched and moaned after the fact. The Bungles put him in a situation with one option; to sign an extension. And despite what you claim, he could NOT have "easily gone and played somewhere else," due to the transition tag.

freak said:
That really isn't true.

The Bungles slapped Dillon with the transition tag that year. That meant they could match any offer he received elsewhere, putting him in a bad situation. Given that the Bungles were set on keeping Dillon, and had the cap room to match any offer, it would have taken a huge offer to dissuade Cinci from matching. Remember, a transition tag provides NO draft compensation. So in that respect, it can be even harder to pry away a transition tagged FA, as the original team gets nothing in return. And besides, Mike Brown had already vowed to match any offer Dillon received..

And why did Cinci transition tag Dillon? Because they had lost their franchise tag over Carl Pickens. Once they got that back the next year, they could slap it on Dillon indefinitely. If he were to ultimately get franchised, he would be stuck with the Bungles unless and until somebody had offered a huge contract and was willing to pony up the two 1st round draft pick compensation.

Dillon didn't sign the contract extension until May of 2001, well after the Bungles had transition tagged him. Cinci had the upper hand, and Dillon had little option but to sign an extension if he wanted to get anything.

While Dillon did sign the big money contract, it wasn't like he took the money when offered, then b*tched and moaned after the fact. The Bungles put him in a situation with one option; to sign an extension. And despite what you claim, he could NOT have "easily gone and played somewhere else," due to the transition tag.

Wow, talk about bringing up an old argument...

But okay, to defend my position... Yes, he could have easily gone and played somewhere else, IF he wanted out of Cincy as bad as many seem to think he did. Hold out. Sit out a year. There are ways around it. Ask McCardell about getting out of somewhere. Ask TO. If you want out bad enough, you'll find a way. Dillon chose to stick around. Sorry, but even with a franchise tag there are ways out and Dillon didn't take them. It's his own dang fault.

Course, that's just my opinion.

Back