Am I right to refuse

ron1625

Reaction score
The company I work for has just given me a form to consent to them having access to my Driving Licence data, to check periodically if I have any endoresments on my licence, the Data is held by a Government Agency, and going by recent events Loss of personal Data from within Government Agencies is widespread.

I have no problem with presenting my licence for inspection as and when required but I see no reason why they should have access to my records as and when they want too.

It is on a voluntary basis, however my manager told me it would be too easy for someone to say they had just "Lost" their licence to prevent it being checked. To me that is just an Insult on my Integrity.

Needless to say I didnt sign the consent form, Am I right or just getting slightly Paranoid? :shrug:

Here is how a friend of mine that is in banking put it to me

"They can ask me to prance around in a pink tutu singing broadway songs and I'll ask if I have to carry a boom-box"

Summation.
How much do you value your J O B

That depends. What do you do for a living? If you do anything that requires driving as a part of the job description, then maybe.

Regardless, they would have more of a leg to stand on if they required it before they hired you. Not sure of the legalities of asking someone who's already working for you.

Do you need a license in order to perform the work you do for your company?

If not then they can suck it.

If they had a legal right to ask for it then it wouldn't be a volentary consent form.

They have no legal right to have free access to this information. If you refuse and they fire you I would expect there is a very good lawsuit there, but Krafty will have better advice in that respect.

I wouldn't sign either. If I get hired, and all "requirements" for the job are met by me, and I know what they are BEFORE I get hired, then fine. But to make new policies for employment AFTER the fact, is wrong, and I cna't abide by it.

Is it "voluntary" in the sense that you dont' have to do it, and there are no consequences for refusing, or is it "voluntary" in teh sense that if you don't, they'll make you "pay" in some way?
Thats the worry, they can make life difficult, yes I require a licence for my job, heavy goods, and in the my contract it states I am to maintain a full driving licences, endorsement carry points and 12 points leads to loss of a your licence, it should be checked once a year by my line manager but this is one less thing for him to do, not that he has a great deal to do!

Thats the worry, they can make life difficult, yes I require a licence for my job, heavy goods, and in the my contract it states I am to maintain a full driving licences, endorsement carry points and 12 points leads to loss of a your licence, it should be checked once a year by my line manager but this is one less thing for him to do, not that he has a great deal to do!

If you dont sign it they'll probably find a reason to fire you

The company can only sack you for Gross misconduct, there has been a few guys fired recently but judging by some of the things they done I'm not surprised thet were fired, basically refusing the company to access data protected under the Data Protection Act, I carry my licences all the time, so like I said if they want to see it, just Ask :huh:

They have every right to check your MVR if you are driving for your job.

A similar thing happened to me about four or five years ago. Someone in another department did a very bad thing which caused the executive authority to ask for a copy of everyone's DL with the understanding that it would be checked for a particular kind of violation. When my boss told me this I asked him if it was required or voluntary. He said voluntary. I then politely declined to submit.

In retrospect, I fear that I may have been the recipient of unwarranted retribution as I am now the assistant department head.

A similar thing happened to me about four or five years ago. Someone in another department did a very bad thing which caused the executive authority to ask for a copy of everyone's DL with the understanding that it would be checked for a particular kind of violation. When my boss told me this I asked him if it was required or voluntary. He said voluntary. I then politely declined to submit.

In retrospect, I fear that I may have been the recipient of unwarranted retribution as I am now the assistant department head.

Promotion or Demotion?

Back