And We Drafted:

We still have 9 draft picks left, and now we have SF`s 1st for next years draft (a potential top 10 round pick). BB and SP have earned my trust, and I`m sure they will find talent in those 9 picks they have left.

bryanp56 on 04-28-2007 at 06:26 PM said:
We still have 9 draft picks left, and now we have SF`s 1st for next years draft (a potential top 10 round pick). BB and SP have earned my trust, and I`m sure they will find talent in those 9 picks they have left.

Yes. We all trust that they know what they are doing. BUT ALL I EVER WANTED THEM TO DO IN THE LAST 4 DRAFTS NOW IS TO DRAFT A LB HIGH!!!! AND THEY JUST WONT DO IT!!!! Our LB's are OOLLDDD, and they are the heart of the D, which is the heart of our team. I Love Colvin, Vrabel, and I am sure, AD, but we get them at close to 30, and in our system, that means we are always getting old at the position. Tired of it is all. Maybe BB can bring the Tuna back as an advisor before the draft next year. Now THAT guy could draft a linebacker!

Guys, I need some help feeling better about this draft so far. Meriweather has the potential to be the next Ed Reed or the next member of the All-Turd Team.

Beason was available as was Staley, but I'm not going to doubt Belichick's plan. I did wish they grabbed Harris with that second first rounder, though.

I think the Browns hit an absolute grand slam in this draft. I also think the Bills (so far) are having the best draft in the division. The Dolphins pick of Ginn is LOL.

EasyBigFella on 04-28-2007 at 03:59 PM said:
Guys, I need some help feeling better about this draft so far.

How's this: even if BB stayed in bed this morning and the Pats completely skipped the draft, we would still be a SB contender next season
:)

(P - shoulder) on 04-28-2007 at 07:07 PM said:
How's this: even if BB stayed in bed this morning and the Pats completely skipped the draft, we would still be a SB contender next season
:)

Good point.

havent any of you guys learned Bill doesnt like young LBs....never will either....he only trusts vets over 27.....as for this trade.....I love it because the niners might suck nexy year and we could be in the top ten!!!

I dunno, the Niners have been on the way up the last couple years, and look to keep improving. It'll be a decent pick, but I'm not holding my breath for a top 10.

patsin07080910 on 04-28-2007 at 07:21 PM said:
havent any of you guys learned Bill doesnt like young LBs....never will either....he only trusts vets over 27.....as for this trade.....I love it because the niners might suck nexy year and we could be in the top ten!!!

I bet next year, the Pats trade one of their first rounders. I think BB likes to have 2 first rounders over everyone's head, but will always trade one.

I does seem that this year's draft is thin, so loading up for next year seems like a good idea. Of course, since I want everything NOW, I wanted the pick, but that's another story.

The trade-off they just tucked in their back pocket is a little proof-nugget that the team managing this team thinks big picture, long-term. Pioli said something along the lines of "[yada yada] building a team that can consistently play at a high level "? They saw a soft-looking draft, compared the present to an educated guess about the future, and made a big picture, long-term decision.

Which produced untold thousands of jonesing Pats fans craving the fix now. Guess them's the breaks. :shrug:

Kiper and Mortensen just said that Meriweather was a reach, so I suddenly feel really good about the pick.

Seriously, the ONE thing I hate about football is these "pundits". How many teams have guys like Mel Kiper or John Clayton played on? LOL.

shirtsleeve on 04-28-2007 at 06:46 PM said:
Yes. We all trust that they know what they are doing. BUT ALL I EVER WANTED THEM TO DO IN THE LAST 4 DRAFTS NOW IS TO DRAFT A LB HIGH!!!! AND THEY JUST WONT DO IT!!!! Our LB's are OOLLDDD, and they are the heart of the D, which is the heart of our team. I Love Colvin, Vrabel, and I am sure, AD, but we get them at close to 30, and in our system, that means we are always getting old at the position. Tired of it is all. Maybe BB can bring the Tuna back as an advisor before the draft next year. Now THAT guy could draft a linebacker!

So just draft any old LB, doesn't matter if he will be able to learn BB's system and perform in it?

The LB position in that defense is one of the most difficult positions to play and there is no guarantee that any college LB can make that transition.

There's a reason BB prefers to sing free agents and use low round draft choices for LB's.

The former have a body of work in the NFL that you can judge then by. The latter are a low cost low risk move that are only expected to provide some help on special teams while they learn the position. If they do pan out, BB and Pioli are geniuses, if it doesn't it's no big whoop from a draft or salary cap standpoint.

As far as Meriweather's "character" issues, there are only two that I'm aware of.

Yes, there was the brawl in the Fla International game, but he admitted he made a mistake and being emotional and defending your teammates isn't the worse possible indictment one can make of a player.

The other was he and his roommate heard some noise, went outside and someone shot at them, hitting his roommate. He shot back. He had all the right permits to have the gun and was firing in self defense at his own home. I don't see how that's a problem.

It's not like he had an illegal gun and was out at some club or with the wrong crowd when something happened.

<<
The only negatives they have there is that he needs to bulk up, something that I assume the Pat's can make happen, and his tendency not to wrap up when tackling, again a thing that one would think coaching could address.
>>

The other negatives are character issues, he was involved in two incidents of note.

In one game last year there was a brawl during which he was stomping on a down player's head.

The 2nd was a gun incident in which he apparently returned fire at someone who took shots at a friend of his. The good points about this was that he is smart enough to have actually been licensed to carry and the police declared this a legal use of the weapon. Sounds like he needs to cut ties with his old posse or there could be some PacMan potential unless he's careful.

How is a #1 next year going to help the ILB corps this year? Did Tedy and Mike find the foutain of youth or suddenly develop blazing speed? They were exposed in the playoffs last year and they are only getting older and slower. Merriweather may or may not be a good pick but I'm pretty sure he can't play inside backer!!! Color me unimpressed.

Nm, you're right. DeOssie is still undrafted.
Cool, hopefully we can take him in the 4th.

Maybe Pats will take a flyer on a fast linebacker such as Antwan Barnes at the top of the 4th. (Quincy Black already got taken).

More likely, they'll just end up drafting a tight end and a punter. :p

I think they keep trading down until they get the final 9 picks in the 7th round, plus a few extra picks next year.

Seriously, who needs 1st day picks when you can aim for owning the most 6th and 7th round picks in the draft?? LOL.

I like the strategy, personally.

Look- the team is pretty set this year, and if you come away with a lot of draft picks, there isn't a lot of room for those developmental projects right now, so why not add picks in what could be a deeper draft, and one which will come at a time when the Pats will probably have more slots open for the younger players to grab.

I Like it too.

Mainly because the trade with SF gives me a team to cheer against next year. Last year it was Seattle, which could've worked out better, this year it's the 49ers which figures to work out quite well.

I had no particular reason to wish bad things for SF before today, but now, thanks to Bill and Scott, I can honestly say I hope they really suck next year.

Has anyone else started looking for info on next year's draft class yet in anticipation of who we might take?

Back