Another Colts offensive lineman disagrees with Polian's criticism

HSanders

disgusted and pissed
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...an-disagrees-with-polians-criticism/#comments

Another Colts offensive lineman disagrees with Polian's criticism

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 22, 2010 11:45 AM ET
Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian said after Super Bowl XLIV that the offensive line had been outplayed by the Saints' defense. But for the second time this offseason, a member of the Colts' offensive line has disagreed with that assessment.

Colts right tackle Ryan Diem said in an interview at Colts.com that he believes the Colts' line actually played well in the Super Bowl.

"Regardless of the outcome of the Super Bowl, I thought the offensive line played well," Diem said (via StampedeBlue.com). "I thought we were fresh. We weren't banged up to bad, and we were able to kind of manage throughout the year."

Diem didn't specifically reference Polian's comments, but his assessment of the way the line played echoed that of Colts center Jeff Saturday, who said in March that he disagrees with Polian's criticism of the offensive line.

Perhaps trying to take the high road, neither Diem nor Saturday has said who they think bears responsibility for the Colts' loss. Although they won't come right out and say so, it's not unreasonable to wonder if they wish Polian would acknowledge that it wasn't the offensive line that threw the fourth-quarter interception that sealed the Colts' loss.

Permalink 39 Comments

If 2 players are saying it, more are thinking it. Polian threw them under the bus and their thinking is correctly indignant. Polian's horses are leaving the corral and he'd better mend those fences quickly.

It wasn't the first time the Colts o-line have been thrown under the bus....Manning did it a couple of years ago.

These are players defending themselves against criticism, but doing it in a reasonable and non-confrontational way.

I agree with them, if by losing they mean the end of the game. I think it was a miscommunication between Wayne and Manning on that last throw, but I've never been one to believe that the last play won or lost the game. If teams played better during the first 59 minutes, the last minute would be kneel-downs.

If I had to pick a unit that was the worst on the Colts that game, I'd go with the defensive backfield, but that could be unfair as it could have been the Saints' offense was so much better.

It's like in basketball. Was one team's offense faltering or was the other tean's defense hot? Or vice versa.

What I am about to say, has nothing to do with how I feel about what Polian said.

But Ryan Diem should probably STFU, considering he's been one of the weakest links on our offensive line for a while now.

That said, we lost the game when The Saints recovered the onside kick to start the second half. There were other issues, but if I had to point to one thing that had the most impact, it would be that play.

we lost the game when The Saints recovered the onside kick to start the second half. There were other issues, but if I had to point to one thing that had the most impact, it would be that play.
??? The Colts had 30 minutes of football to play after the opening second half kickoff.

They came back from a 34-3 half-time deficient against the Pats a couple years ago. Don't tell me a single fumble recovery half way through the game determines the outcome. :huh:

Colts got outplayed in most areas of the game that day. :coffee:

At least you can talk about it. I still cannot address the Giants superbowl. Tore my heart out.

??? The Colts had 30 minutes of football to play after the opening second half kickoff.

They came back from a 34-3 half-time deficient against the Pats a couple years ago. Don't tell me a single fumble recovery half way through the game determines the outcome. :huh:
It was the begining of the end. That play was such a huge momentum swing that after that everything was going all Saints.

It also showed the differences in the two coaches that day. Peyton was playing to win. Caldwell was playing not to lose. (or I should say coaching) What happens when you play not to lose? More often than not you do just that. You lose.

The onside kick was just the most glaring example of that. And it really was a HUGE momentum swing that had an enourmous impact on the way the game was played.

Colts got outplayed in most areas of the game that day. :coffee:
I'd be foolish to argue against this. The Saints clearly won that game. It wasn't an issue of us "losing." I give them all the credit in the world.

At least you can talk about it. I still cannot address the Giants superbowl. Tore my heart out.
You have to move on. Dwelling on "what could have been" is rarely every productive or healthy.

It does still hurt though.

It also showed the differences in the two coaches that day. Peyton was playing to win. Caldwell was playing not to lose. (or I should say coaching) What happens when you play not to lose? More often than not you do just that. You lose.
Been there, seen the games, hated the outcomes.

This is why I hate so-called "prevent" defenses. As has been said, usually they "prevent" you from winning. (I'm all for running the ball when ahead. That's not what I mean. I mean those soft defenses that allow chunks of yardage after playing 50 minutes of aggressive defense.)

You have to move on. Dwelling on "what could have been" is rarely every productive or healthy.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I deny that I am in denial.

It was the begining of the end. That play was such a huge momentum swing that after that everything was going all Saints.

The onside kick was just the most glaring example of that. And it really was a HUGE momentum swing that had an enourmous impact on the way the game was played.

I'd be foolish to argue against this. The Saints clearly won that game. It wasn't an issue of us "losing." I give them all the credit in the world.

It does still hurt though.

Geez Manning coaches the saints too?

I will believe Ryan Diem's story only when/IF he can remember the damn snap count! :banghead:
Posted via Mobile Device
This.

I distinctly remember him getting beat so badly that the defensive end was around him before he even got out of his stance. This happened on more than one occasion.

Just my opinion here, but Polian will bend over backwards to make sure that as little blame as possible gets heaped onto The Pick Six. Granted Indy was already trailing at that point, but who wasn't thinking overtime when that drive got going?

Just my opinion here, but Polian will bend over backwards to make sure that as little blame as possible gets heaped onto The Pick Six. Granted Indy was already trailing at that point, but who wasn't thinking overtime when that drive got going?

He has to blame EBM....thats everyone but manning.:coffee:

It's either laugh or cry, and I try to stay positive.

Dude i have to give you some serious props for being able to go onto your teams main rivals forums and talk about a devastating game and just joke around about it. I know i would never be able to do that regarding TGTSNBM.

Dude i have to give you some serious props for being able to go onto your teams main rivals forums and talk about a devastating game and just joke around about it. I know i would never be able to do that regarding TGTSNBM.

Ditto. Big time props. :rockon:

Back