Another perspective on Assante

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
I thought Assante was good this year but not great. I thought this is an interesting take:

The Fuss Over Asante
by Ken Sheehan (Scribe)
February 19, 2008

Asante Samuel is currently the big name free agent coming out of New England. After being franchised last season he's on his way to what many are seeing as his big pay day and after his probowl season, I'm sure multiple teams will be seeking his services.

But I would warn those teams to carefully investigate this particular investment. Asante has made 16 interceptions over the last two years and been toted as one of the leagues better corners. However upon closer look he doesn't seem to be quite the player he would like you to believe.

It is true that he has logged quite a few interceptions as well as made over 40 pass deflections over the last two seasons but his play is not consistent. His six interceptions this year are nothing to put down, but maybe shouldn't result in the huge contract he's looking for. His first pick of the season came in week three against the Buffalo Bills. With just over six minutes left in the game Asante picked off Trent Edwards. Samuel picked off the rookie who was pushing to get a score with his team down 38-7

His Next three interceptions where off of passes thrown by Derek Anderson, Carson Palmer, and Jason Campbell. Two of those quarterbacks are inexperienced were pushing for scores to try and get there teams back into the game. His last two came in week 12 against the Eagles. This was a close game where two mistakes made by back up quarter back A.J. Feeley, the second of which was really a gift for Asante.

In 2006 Asante not only had a career high ten interceptions but also lead the league with that number. But again it's a number that is misleading he got seven of those picks in just three games, and he wasn't exactly picking off the best qb's the league had to offer. Of those seven three game against everyone's favorite Chicago Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, and he picked off both Joey Harrington and Vince Young twice. The last three picks came against David Carr, J.P. Losman, and Jon Kitna.

My point is that its easy to be impressed by those numbers, but when you look a little closer at the stats you notice that the picks came against guys who don't exactly strike fear into opposing defenses. Asante Samuel is a decent corner, he's a player that'sslightly above average when it comes to playing corner. He is good at jumping the ball and making plays but often gets beat when playing smart experienced quarterbacks. Asante's best games are always played against bad qb's he's a very opportunistic corner who several times a season happens to be at the right place at the right time.

The NFL should just be warned about chasing Asante and giving him a big deal to be a key cog in there defense. Asante could very easily fall into the footsteps of guys like Lawyer Milloy, Tebucky Jones, Deion Branch, and David Givens and be payed very handsomely to never reach the level of success he experienced on the Patriots.

All I can say, is corners on other teams have played against those, and other lousy QBs. Samuel has more picks than any other corner over the past two seasons. I think it's very difficult for someone to make the argument that he's not very good.

But I still wish he hadn't dropped that pick against the Giants.

:banghead:

Analyzing the picks of any accomplished cornerback would reveal picks that were "easy" in some way, shape or form. I doubt that Asante's rate of easy picks is any higher than anyone else's and, if I'm wrong, I doubt that it's materially higher.

In short, I'm not much convinced by that.

Then again, a world class corner should pick off the pass that is thrown right at him and that would have won the damn Super Bowl. I know -- too harsh.....sort of.

Yes, he dropped the game winning pick but y'all have 3 Superbowl wins to feel wonderful about. We all know that y'all will be back in the Superbowl next season.

As a lifelong Saints fans, I'd kill for 1 trip to the Superbowl.

TomWaits & you on 02-19-2008 at 11:16 PM said:
Who Dat?:Lwelcome:

Looks like Ray is thinking along the same lines: :bang:

lol

I was a big advocate of Asante last season, I thought he deserved the big contract. But one drop in the Super Bowl changed it for me. I mean, he wasn't exactly a shut down corner all season, but he had a decent season.

That's not to say at all that he isn't any good. I think he gambles a lot, but doesn't really seem to give those huge gains. So he is pretty damn good at his position. That being said, I won't be devastated if he leaves. Frankly, I could care less either way. If he says, cool. If not, oh well, time to find another CB.

IMO he doesn't tackle well enough to be a great CB. I'm not a Deion Sanders CB type person. Not saying Samuel is finesse like Deion or anything, just that he's a good CB, not GREAT.

HennessyROB on 02-19-2008 at 11:37 PM said:
Yes, he dropped the game winning pick but y'all have 3 Superbowl wins to feel wonderful about. We all know that y'all will be back in the Superbowl next season.

As a lifelong Saints fans, I'd kill for 1 trip to the Superbowl.
Understood but that's not really an answer regarding Asante and his performance in that game and at that moment.

In short, I do feel incredibly grateful. Just being to root for a team that makes the last game is a blesssing. At the same time, if Asante Samuel wants to be regarded as one of the best corners in the game, he's got to catch that damn ball.

That is ridiculous. You can't control who you are playing against. I seem to remember a pretty big (at the time) INT against a guy in Indianapolis.

Asante makes big plays. Yeah, he picked off "shitty" AJ Feeley. Of course, that was at the end of a close game and sealed the deal. I don't think anyone is calling him Deion II, but he's still young, and among the top 3-5 in the league at his position. There are flaws with every player.

Should there be an article tomorrow about how Moss is overrated because his TD passes came against weak corners, and break down how small they are compared to him? Of course not. You play against your opponent.

You can say he did it against "lesser guys" but I dont see anyone else putting up those numbers against similar competition. I recall him making a pretty big pick on Peyton a few years ago in the AFCCG (granted we lost but still)

Interesting observation by Peter King concerning Samuel I hadn't seen before in the press, nor really paid much attention to watching the game firsthand:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/02/24/combine/1.html
He let David Tyree beat him for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl, then let a catchable interception slip through his hands on the decisive Giant drive (though it would have been a tough catch), and didn't clobber Tyree when he was fighting for the catch heard 'round the world, though Samuel was only steps away.

-----------------------------------------------

Having just replayed the Tyree catch 50 straight times, it sure seems like Samuel was in the vicinity and probably had time to deliver a hit....if he had hustled, as opposed to slowly jogging over. Of course, that's just my interpretation. :shrug:

What say you fellow Planeteers?

I've never seen a replay of that freaking game and never will, but Rodney was all over that guy. It's not the case that every DB on the field rushes to or is in a position to impact every reception.

I doubt this is a valid criticism of Asante.

But then again, King is the genius who yesterday wrote and then erased that the Rams struggled in the red zone in SB 36 when they were 1 for 1, so he's not above making stuff up or, more charitably, talking out of his arse.

Back