Anyone fired up?? (Red Sox Thread)

BobKraftsCoozie

Reaction score
Anyone fired up??

Curt Schilling

"I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up," he said Monday, a day before starting the opener at Yankee Stadium against Mike Mussina.

When Schill's done with them, we'll get are crack at jets fans two weeks from now.

I LOVE that Schilling quote! Supposedly he'll be wearing a brace on the ankle and shot full of marcaine for tonight's start. What a stud. I wonder what Pedro would do with a similar injury? Shut it down perhaps?

I just hope we can hit Mussina now. This game will be a tone setter for things to come. Let me say, if Yanks lose game 1, Pedro vs. Lieber (is that correct?) Looks VERY winnable for Sox. And if the Yanks went down 0-2 to Fenway....With a world series on the line...That place would be a nut house, just imagine.

Dear Sox Fans:

What's the feeling amongst Sox fans about the comments Pedro made calling the Yankees his daddy? Do any of you think that will have an effect on anything? I'm sure he'll get some ribbing in the Bronx at the very least.

Signed,
Curious in the Midwest

*edit - I added Red Sox Thread to the thread title to avoid confusion to those that aren't baseball people.....I know there are a few of you.

People just don't seem to get Pedro around here. A lot of the fans seem to have had it up to here with him, but I'm not one of them.

I thought the comment was sardonic on his part and may have been done in part to both give the Yankees their due and to psyche himself up or put himself squarely in the line of fire, which is something that he has never been afraid to do.

Pedro is not a guy given to bland cliches, and I like that. He is moody, fiery, ultra competetive and extremely bright.

One thing about Martinez is that he is fearless and I have no doubt that he is not afraid of the New York Yankees.

If he was then he would have soiled himself walking into the Stadium for game 7 last year with 55K fans and everyone in New York screaming for his blood.

He might not be the same pitcher he once was, but when he walks you can hear the clanging of his iron testicles.

And anybody that is NOT psyched for this game needs to be checked for a pulse.

Hawg73 said:
And anybody that is NOT psyched for this game needs to be checked for a pulse.

Pedro cracks me up - he's a character, and I love characters of the game (football too). If nothing else, his comments will probably spin a whole new storyline to the Sox/Yanks mythology and have long lasting legs.

Speaking of characters, I was bummed to hear that Ken Caminiti passed away yesterday. They were telling some pretty crazy stories about him on the Dan Patrick radio show - that guy was looney tunes.

I'm totally psyched for this series - it oughtta be one for the ages. Hell, the series between the two in the ALCS last year was pretty damn good too (though I'm sure there will be a few Sox fans that puke when thinking about it.....).

If you're a baseball fan though (no matter which team you root for) - you just gotta love this scenario. Hell, I'd happily watch it every single year.

I agree Hawg. I think we already saw a slightly different Pedro against the Angels. I hate to say this, but he may have actually been holding back a bit in the regular season. At no point in the reg season did his fastball hit 95/96 like it did against the Angels.

I think that the "Daddy" comment was tongue in cheek and he was being silly. I think he may have saved a special performance just for his Daddies on Wed night.

F the MFY's!!!!!

I hope the "daddy"comment was tongue in cheek. I think it was more him being aggravated with himself ad said that to just try and get off the yankee subject. He pitched a damn good game against the angels and I do believe Pedro will have a good game tomorrow night as well ...... I'm not convinced pedro wasn't holding back at the end of the season but right now it really doesn't matter i'm freakin psyched for this game. :thumb:

I dunno, I think he was just tipping the proverbial cap at them. They've managed to get to him alot recently, and he even showed some incredibly rare exasperation on the mound in the last game against them.

As for now, it's a different story. We know what he's capable of when it's on the line.

I wondered about the possibility Pedro may have been holding back during the regular season as well after his performance last week. He definitely looked like vintage Pedro. I am looking for more of the same tomorrow.

As for his comment about the Yanks being his daddy........I look at it as an acknowledgement by him that the Yanks have gotten the better of him in recent times. But as Hawg pointed out, he is as competitive as they come. I don't think he was defeated at all. And he had to be anticipating this series was going to come. Possibly a little bit of Gamesmanship on his part.

Against Anaheim, Pedro had a look in his eyes I have not seen in awhile. Watching him during the game seriously made me think about Rocky III and Apollo Creed 's "Eye of the Tiger" phrase.

PatsFanDan said:
Watching him during the game seriously made me think about Rocky III and Apollo Creed 's "Eye of the Tiger" phrase.
Eh? The one with Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, and the very awkward man-hug between erstwhile rivals?

He didn't say "sugar-daddy."

Schill on SoSH

This is incredible stuff for those who haven't seen it. Schilling's username on Sons of Sam Horn is "Gehrig38" and he's been starting the Game Threads during the playoffs.

The Chowd sense of humor makes me homesick too (in ATL) when you read all the responses.

As they say, "IT IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://p086.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamhornfrm44

Gmoney-- that is the greatest thread I have ever seen on a message board. Thanks for posting it and anyone that loves the Sox should do themselves a favor and read it.

May Curt's ankle be like it was before his injury and may his pitches be like a sharp axe splitting the heartwood. May the strength of an entire sports nation lift the boys up and help them all make history.

It is ON!!!!!!!!

That's a great frikkin' thread man....

Something just tells me this may be the year for your boys in Fenway.

Let it rain (Saturday)

Schilling's interaction w/ the fans online has been absolutely unreal this year. Unfortunately the majority of his posts are in a private forum (I'm not a member).

I usually troll in the hopes that not only Schilling, but Boston Sports Guy Bill Simmons throws us a non-members a bone every now and again in the public forums.

http://p086.ezboard.com/bsonsofsamhorn.showUserPublicProfile?gid=sptguy33@sonsofsamhorn

http://p086.ezboard.com/bsonsofsamhorn.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gehrig38

SG's stuff has been phenomenal lately.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/archive?columnist=simmons_bill&root=page2

"GUS: What should concern a Yankee fan the most about their team?

SG: Vazquez and every reliever except for Gordon and Rivera. I wouldn't have a ton of confidence in Lieber either, even though he's looked good lately. He's still Jon Lieber. And Mussina can always crap the bed when you least expect it -- I don't think Yankee fans totally trust him. I would also be terrified of rain on Friday or Saturday, which allows Schilling to start three times and Pedro to pitch Game 5 at home. That reminds me, we should organize an African Rain Dance in Boston on Friday afternoon. I'm dead serious. Somebody needs to do this."

:thumb:

There is definitely something in the air tonite. I'm not much of a baseball guy but i've found myself latching on to this team like a barnicle to the hull of the Mayflower. I have a feeling that the "idiot" moniker has drawn me to this team.

I just dont like the Yankees. They are smarmy, conceited,full of themselves, overconfident, overpaid and everything I strive to be.

Damn them.

I'm all over that dchester!!

But seriously, does anyone else see the Pats of '01 in this Red Sox team? Just curious.

Here's my take: I've been a loyal and rabid Sox fan since 1970. And, the Sox have NO chance vs. the Yankees.

How rude, you say. How can this a-hole (me) say such a thing? Well.........

Sox sell the Babe to the Yankees....1920

Sox Go in the tank, totally, until late '30's, while Yankees win many pennants and championships

1949...Sox up by a game with 2 left, both vs. Yanks. Yanks win both, win pennant, win W.S.

1950's.....Sox very mediocre, Yankees the best

1978.....Bucky bleeping Dent; Sox blow 11 game lead over Yanks

1999....Pedro is not enough, Yanks in 5 in LCS

1996-2004.....RedSox come in second to Yankees EVERY YEAR

2003......Cowboy Up my arce...Grady......Pedro fizzles....Tim Wakefield to Aaron Boone...BOOM

2004......No chance.....it's called THE CURSE

(I'll be in Boston hopefully for any series-clinchers, W.S. or otherwise)

Did I mention 1946, 1948, 1972, (I won't mention 1967 or 1975-they did not choke) 1986, 88, 90, 95, 98?

Did I mention George Steinbrenner, $190 payroll, Yankee Stadium, Derek Jeter

Okay, the Sox have Manny, Pedro, Schilling, Damon, Ortiz, Foulk.....not bad at all. I'm just jaded A JADED REDSOX FAN

Oh, yeah, and I didn't mention MARIANO RIVERA.....the greatest baseball post-season performer of ALL TIME

Now, before you say "yeah, this guy's a Yankees fan", let me school you with some of my favorite Red Sox players from the past: Ray Culp, John Kennedy, Gerry Moses, Carl Yastrzemski BILLY Conigliaro, Rico Petrocelli, Bob Veale, Gary Wagner, PHIL GAGLIANO, El Tiante, Bernie Carbo, manager Joe Morgan, Dewey Evans, Pudge Fisk, Soup Cambell, Tom Burgmier, Juan Beniquez, Carlos Quintana, just to name a few

Steve1 said:
Here's my take: I've been a loyal and rabid Sox fan since 1970. And, the Sox have NO chance vs. the Yankees.

Its so easy to say that. Its like saying the tide will come in and then go out.

How much harder it is to take a chance. To say the Sox will win. to Buck the trend. If only to be correct, just once! To earn the right to say, "I told you so!!!!!"

Thats the cause. thats the plight. Year after year we suffer through let down after let down but still we keep the faith. And after such a long time, its going to feel good to stick it to anybody who has anything bad to say when the sox finally do win. I don't know if the sox will win or not, But I am not giving in or use logic to defend my reasoning should (And before)they lose. Its something that I can't explain. I'm a sox fan. I left my brain at the door. BUT I brought my heart (and the heart of my father and his father) with me. :D

Back