Anyone fired up?? (Red Sox Thread)

What a great picture. Just had to put it up here.

Love the color of the Sports Illustrated issue. I'm going to pick that up. I can't wait to see who the Red Sox will re-sign and who will be a new member of the Boston Red Sox.o:) :thumb:

Supkem said:
He proberly showed up in Bristol Ct. becouse he couldn't remember the name of the magizine.

You'd think they would have the MVP on the cover somewhere, ya know?

For that matter, they should have Tek on there too.

#1Patsfan_chica said:
Maybe they should have put a team picture?
o:) :thumb:

I will say this, props to Manny and all, but if there was ever a series that was deserving of an MVT award rather than MVP, this was it. Nobody really stood out, and everybody stepped up to the challenge.

Update on Tek's free agency

full article

Red Sox owners differ with Boras
They say his version on deals inaccurate
By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff | November 11, 2004

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Let history repeat itself, Jason Varitek's agent, Scott Boras, urged the Red Sox owners in lobbying for them to sign the 32-year-old catcher for five years with a full no-trade clause at a premium wage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Just as the Sox owners awarded contracts spanning at least five years with no-trade clauses to players such as Charles Johnson, Phil Nevin, and Ryan Klesko when they controlled other organizations, they should do the same for Varitek, Boras said Tuesday at the annual general managers meetings.

But the Sox yesterday differed with Boras about several elements of the historical record.

Yes, Sox principal owner John W. Henry acknowledged, the Marlins signed Johnson, then a 29-year-old catcher, to a five-year, $35 million deal as the market surged to an unprecedented level in December 2000 (it was the same month the Rangers signed Alex Rodriguez for $252 million over 10 years and the Sox signed Manny Ramirez for $160 million over eight years). Johnson received no-trade protection for four years with a provision that called for his salary to rise to $10 million from $9 million in the fifth year if he were traded.

But Henry said Dave Dombrowski, his general manager at the time, handled Johnson's deal.

"I don't make offers to players," Henry said. "I never have. I made an exception once [last year] with Alex Rodriguez due to proximity and a comfort with one another. And in that case I was carrying [general manager Theo Epstein's] proposal -- not mine."

Henry said the Red Sox "have certain policies I support," referring to a prohibition against full no-trade clauses and an informal policy against contracts exceeding four years.

"It is my strong desire and hope that Theo and Scott can work together to keep Jason in a Red Sox uniform," Henry said. "I believe it is important for the club and for Jason. However, just as was the case with Alex Rodriguez a year ago, we will only go so far."

In other words, don't expect the Sox to bend easily -- or perhaps at all -- in their stance against full no-trade clauses and contracts spanning five years or longer. Henry asserted baseball's economic landscape has changed since he owned the Marlins (they gave outfielder Preston Wilson a five-year, $32 million contract in 2001), despite Boras's view.

"The market Dave Dombrowski operated in at that time was quite different from the market that exists today," Henry said. "But we've found it hard to convince some that we aren't still at the top of the market."

The Sox also would like to convince Boras he was mistaken about saying the team's president and CEO, Larry Lucchino, gave long-term deals with no-trade clauses to Nevin and Klesko when he ran the Padres. Continued...

Clock's ticking on free agents

anyone else nervous here?

full article

Clock's ticking on free agents
By Michael Silverman
Thursday, November 11, 2004

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - When the clock strikes midnight tonight, the Red Sox [stats, schedule] will have lost their exclusive negotiating rights to all 16 of their free agents.

Barring a last-minute deal that would ``surprise'' a club source, it looks as if all 16 will soon be free to entertain offers from baseball's 29 other teams.

General manager Theo Epstein said the club has not been ``paralyzed'' by uncertainty because of its plethora of free agents. Instead, Epstein and the Red Sox are looking at the offseason as an opportunity.

``This year is no different than any other in that regard,'' Epstein said at the general managers' meetings. ``We have some unanswered questions, but that will work itself out in due time. We are not paralyzed by this process.''

Team owner John Henry said, via e-mail, that he had no plans to become directly involved in any negotiations.

``With the exception of delivering Theo's proposal to Alex Rodriguez last year, I have never been involved in direct negotiation of a contract with a player,'' Henry said. ``I sit in on discussions when players or agents request it, but I have never told a general manager what to do. I actively work on insurance, financial and policy issues. I actively participate in questioning and discussing policies and important contracts. But I have a history of letting others make final personnel decisions and policies.

``I support our policies and trust in the decisions our people make. This has worked very well.''

The Red Sox and Pedro Martinez [stats, news] have been engaged in talks this week, with the pitcher remaining in the Dominican Republic and his agent unavailable for comment the past few days. The club has offered a two-year deal worth a guaranteed $25.5 million with an option year worth $13 million, which Martinez, to no surprise of the Red Sox, turned down. That talks are continuing should be construed as a non-negative development at the very least, with Martinez making public comments from his native country that have reaffirmed his desire to re-sign with the ball club.

As for a backup plan, the Red Sox remain high on two free agents, right-handers Carl Pavano and Brad Radke. Pavano's agent, Scott Shapiro, said he had yet to make contact with the Red Sox at these meetings but a session is expected to take place today or tomorrow. It has become generally well-known that the Marlins have made an initial offer of three years for a total of $21 million, which Pavano has not accepted. Pavano is expected to make at least $8 million to $10 million a year on any deal he signs.

Shapiro has said he has no interest in Pavano signing soon, as he is obviously interested in entertaining bids from other teams. So far, the list of Pavano's suitors includes the Marlins, Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Tigers, Mariners, Orioles, Indians, Diamondbacks and probably the Reds. The agent plans to have Pavano make a tour of interested cities, a ``Carlapalooza'' tour, as Shapiro put it, especially to locales where Pavano has never been before, like Seattle.

Boston and New York will be on Pavano's itinerary, Shapiro said.

Radke's agent did not return phone calls.

The day after catcher Jason Varitek [stats, news]'s agent, Scott Boras, went public on his five-year, no-trade request, the Red Sox and Boras spoke, although whether it was face-to-face here at the Ritz-Carlton or over the phone, Epstein would not say.

Boras claimed on Tuesday that former Padres owner Larry Lucchino had offered Kevin Brown a no-trade clause but that apparently was not quite true, according to a club source.

Epstein said only, ``I'm not going to engage in a public debate but it's always important to fact check.''

They need to sign Tek and Pedro. Even though it looks like Tek is going to be hard now because he wants a no trade clause and if somebody that Red Sox signs gets a no trade clause, Manny's no trade clause immediately takes effect.

:patriots: :Redsox: :pat:

I think they are offering PEdro to much..And I thought for sure Vtek would be back first and foremost..I really do not wanna lose Tek!:(

BionicPatriot said:
I think they are offering PEdro to much..And I thought for sure Vtek would be back first and foremost..I really do not wanna lose Tek!:(

we lose tek we most likely lose Lowe Tek is the one person that can keep Lowe from self destructing IMO

pedro declined the Sox offer but they are still negotiating

Back