Anyone fired up?? (Red Sox Thread)

And to think, not a year ago, we were hoisting a Lombardi. Ladies and gentlemen, the Red Sox are mother ****ing world series champions!!!!! In the words of Mr. King, "Free at last, free at last"

Rejoice!!!!

Let the bells ring for a hundred years

Let's get Two (next year too!)

Go Patriots

GO REDSOX

Parade Saturday in Boston

That was Leskanic? What a cool person he is! (Just like the Patriots...one game at a time....play as a team.....and a snow-angel!)

Posted on Thu, Oct. 28, 2004

MARK HUMPHREY/The Associated Press
Fred Forsgard of Marblehead, Mass., held up a message for eight decades of demoralized Red Sox fans. But this time, there was no postseason pain, as Boston finally won it all.

Fan dies before seeing his beloved team win

By WRIGHT THOMPSON The Kansas City Star

Roy Finn spent many a brutal New England winter, 88 of them in fact, swearing to anyone who'd listen that next year the Red Sox would win it all, and by George, he'd be there to see it.

He almost made it.

As he lay dying in a Medford, Mass., hospital room last week, unable to recover from a stroke, his family knew how he'd want to spend his final hours. They turned the television to game six of the American League Championship Series. He couldn't open his eyes, but he heard. They just know it.

The family huddled around like they'd done on many a night in the Fenway bleachers, or at their home. The cheered, they groaned, they cried, they loved. They were whole, if only for a bit longer, and it was perfect.

Twelve hours later — after Boston forced a miraculous game seven, 86 years after the Sox won their last World Series and the day his beloved team would finally whip the Yankees — Roy Finn died.

Exactly a week later, the Red Sox did what they hadn't done since Roy was 2 years old. They won. It's just more than the Finns can stand.

“He knew they were in the series against the Yankees, but he never knew they won,” daughter Maryann Finn said in a phone call Wednesday afternoon. “God works in strange ways. We keep telling ourselves there has to be a reason that you suffer all these years and are taken the day they beat the Yankees.”

They buried him with an ALCS Championship T-shirt. Maryann Finn went to the grave Wednesday and read her dad the game-three box score. A Red Sox pin rests atop his headstone.

The eulogies at the church focused on how a life spent dreaming for one glorious moment could be cut short on the doorstep of that dream.

“It's just so sad and so tragic,” his daughter said, “that it's hard to even deal with.”

Roy Finn was so Boston.

You should hear his kids talk, about pahking cahs, about beating the Cahdnals. He was Irish-Catholic. He spent years as a communicant at Immaculate Conception Church. He was active in the Knights of Columbus and the VFW and the American Legion. He drove boats up to those hostile beachheads in the Pacific.

For 40 years, he was a custodian at Malden High School, and the gymnasium now bears his name. Nothing was too big or small for Roy Finn. He'd give out change if a kid needed it. Once, about 25 years ago, he paid for a student's dental work. The student never found out.

“He never wanted anyone to know,” Maryann said.

His life was so full of experiences and friends. But like many in New England, one thing dominated his seasons: the Boston Red Sox.

Roy was 4 when Babe Ruth was traded. He saw all of the important things and people in the history of the franchise, from Williams to Yaz to Roger to Nomar to Ortiz.

“He went to games up until his health started to fail,” Maryann said. “If he wasn't at the game, he was either listening to it on the radio or watching it on TV. It was more than a hobby. It was part of his life.”

Her first Fenway memory was of Roy taking her and one of her brothers to the 1967 pennant-clinching game. That was the impossible dream season, when they won a doubleheader on the last day of the season. Of course, she also learned a valuable part of being a Red Sox fan — with the sweet comes the sour.

She remembers her father falling to pieces after the 1986 World Series; for the first time, he'd begun to consider his own mortality, and part of him thought he might not live to see a better chance.

“He was heartbroken,” Maryann said. “He was devastated when the ball went through Buckner's legs. As he was aging, he had thought, here it is. And … kaboom. It was devastating, because he truly believed it was going to happen.”

Most of his Red Sox memories were painful ones. Ted Williams' death cast a pall over the Finn household.

“It was like he had lost a friend,” his daughter remembered.

All that, and redemption was finally at hand. At last, some sweet after a lifetime of sour. All he had to do was hang on, just 168 more hours.

“To miss out on this by seven days,” Maryann said, “it just doesn't seem fair.”

For reasons the kids can't explain, Roy Finn loved Johnny Damon. He wasn't too fond of long hair — of any part of Damon's look, for that matter — but he adored the player. Maybe it was the hustle. He always prized hustle.

When Damon ended his atrocious slump with a game-breaking grand slam in game seven, not eight hours after Roy died, the family lost it.

“People believe what they want to believe,” Maryann said, “but this is too much of a coincidence in my book.”

That's the reason. They need it to be true. He wasn't taken a week shy of the long-awaited championship. Instead, they believe this long-awaited championship happened, in some small part, because of him.

“We watch it with very bittersweet emotions,” Maryann said. “We believe he's making sure we get our World Series. He's making sure we get what he didn't get.”

Roy's mission is now accomplished. When Damon hit a leadoff homer in the first inning Wednesday night in St. Louis, the Finns believed an old man was helping that ball into the bleachers.

“You know that movie ‘Angels in the Outfield?' ” Maryann said. “Well, that's him. He's the angel in the outfield. We felt he needed to get up there to help us reverse the curse.”

Didn't see this posted yet, course it's possible I missed it in one of the million BoSox threads.....

This is from yesterday's Chicago Sun-Times ...

Nomar shares in Red Sox' fortunes

October 27, 2004

BY CHRIS DE LUCA Staff Reporter

ST. LOUIS -- It turns out the Boston Red Sox don't hate Nomar Garciaparra as much as portrayed.

The Boston Globe reported Tuesday that Garciaparra, who was traded to the Cubs on July 31, was voted a full playoff share by his former teammates.

Red Sox players decided on shares during the final week of the regular season and voted not to hand out a partial share of the postseason pot to the former team icon.

"He's been a tremendous part of this organization through the years, even this year,'' catcher Jason Varitek told the Globe. "He's as deserving as all of us to be here.''

Garciaparra recently called Varitek and Trot Nixon, his two closest friends on the team, to discuss the Red Sox' fantastic postseason run.

"He wished us well and told me to tell the guys he was thinking about them and was happy for us,'' Nixon said. "We all understand that certain things happen in baseball you can't control, but for as long as he was with the team and for everything he did, it doesn't feel right that he's not here.''

The world champion Florida Marlins divided a $14.9 million playoff pool last season, awarding 37 full shares of $306,000, 29 partial shares and 11 cash awards. The runner-up New York Yankees split nearly $10 million, handing out 39 full shares of $181,000 and 45 partial shares.

During their run to the American League Championship Series last season, with Garciaparra on the team, the Red Sox awarded 51 full shares of nearly $90,000, 21 partial shares and 10 cash awards, the Globe reported. There was no breakdown available for this year's shares.

The move by Garciaparra's former teammates comes as something of a surprise. Some Red Sox privately -- and owner John Henry publicly -- made it clear they were happy Garciaparra left when he did.

A common joke among disgruntled Red Sox fans goes like this: If you take 1918 (the last year the Red Sox won a World Series), add the numbers from the heart of the lineup -- David Ortiz (34), Varitek (33) and Manny Ramirez (24) -- and subtract Garciaparra's (5), you get 2004.

Many Red Sox fans seem happy to have lost Garciaparra -- considered grumpy and not a team player in the last 1-1/2 seasons -- and picked up shortstop Orlando Cabrera in the four-team deadline-day trade.

But his teammates haven't forgotten that Garciaparra hit .321 with five homers and 21 RBI in 38 games during an injury-marred half-season with the Red Sox.

"Nomar was such a big part of getting us to this point and helping this organization,'' Varitek said. "I'm not taking anything away from the job Orlando has done. I love everything about him. I just wish we could have both of them here.''

Bitter Much?

It's funny. With all the talk in NY media about how the Red Sox fans are classless, and how we're the only ones that make it a rivalry, that New York is just winners, you'd think that the sports writers would try and prove that in the darkest hour.

Instead, we get proof that they're every bit as bitter, even with 26 rings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/sports/baseball/28araton.html

http://p086.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamhornbostonredsox.showMessage?topicID=14429.topic

Some of an article about Hurst and Buckner .can't blame Bucks indifferance givenall the Hate mail he received.
click the link for more articles.

This is a really interesting article written prior to series finale: interview with Bruce Hurst.

After reading one of the articles linked on another thread about the last two games of the 1986 series, I have been reminded that John McNamara and Calvin F. Schiraldi were far more deserving of vilification than gimpy Billy Buckner, who was very much like this current bunch of Red Sox scrappers. Buckner, unfortunately, had an unprepared idiot for a manager.

I was disappointed by Buckner's error. But, Billy had 102 RBI's that year, should have been cheering Dave Stapleton on during the 9th inning (thanks to mindless managing by McNamara) and certainly can't be blamed for Schiraldi's historic collapse in games six and seven.

Bucker and his children have not deserved the harrassment that has driven them to Boise, Idaho, and that has made him a semi-recluse. If the B.S. "Curse" can be put to rest, why not the abuse of a terrific baseball player and a fellow who never failed to hustle on the field?

The article:

Hurst, ex-teammates glued to World Series
By Brad Rock
Deseret Morning News

Bruce Hurst is watching. Boy, is he watching. They're all watching the World Series, says Hurst. Barrett. Boggs. Rice. Rocket Roger. The ol' Oil Can. All of the '86 Boston Red Sox, wherever they are.

Even Bill Buckner — Boston's most maligned figure since the Strangler — is watching. He has long since moved to Boise, hoping to forget the last time the Sox were close to winning the Series. Tracked down Saturday by the Idaho Statesman, he was asked whether he would be watching the Series or the Boise State-Fresno State football game.
"The baseball game really doesn't mean squat to me," Buckner said. "I'm going to the football game."
He continued: "I have no strong feelings one way or another, but if (a Boston win) would mean that no one would bother me or my kids, I guess I would like to see them win it."
But Hurst isn't buying the indifference.
"The fans were tough on Buck, really tough, and I understand where he's coming from," Hurst told the Deseret Morning News. "I understand why he felt that way. But I also know he's watching, and if they win, he'll be happy."
A St. George native who now lives in Phoenix, Hurst was there firsthand when the "Curse of the Bambino" took on epic proportions. He led a Red Sox pitching staff that included Roger Clemens and Oil Can Boyd, prompting the Mets' Darryl Strawberry to remark, "Clemens is tough, but he's no Hurst."
Hurst had won two games in the '86 Series, and already been voted Series MVP during Game 6. But that was before the Curse kicked in.
The Red Sox needed only one more strike in the 10th inning to win the Series. But when Buckner let a groundball slip between his legs, allowing the winning run, he was immediately consigned to baseball purgatory. When the Mets went on to win Game 7, too, the MVP award went to Ray Knight.
The 1918 curse that said Boston would never win a Series, after trading Babe Ruth, was roaring.
So you have to give the Fates credit — it was a first-rate curse.
There have been other chances for the Sox. They have been to the Series five times since the Curse was invoked, counting this year, but never been a winner. Yet Hurst says he's no believer in hexes.
"I think it makes it a lot easier — no offense — for the writers. It's produced a lot of great stuff . . . In '86 we had plenty of chances and, you know, there was no outside force making us make those mistakes," he says. "We just didn't get it done. That's all there was to it."
Maybe, but Boston's sports fans don't all agree. Buckner was hounded for years, before escaping to Idaho. Hurst moved on to play for San Diego, Colorado and Texas before retiring.
Hurst now considers himself a fan, as well as a former player. He's trying to get tickets to the World Series but isn't expecting success. Even former stars have trouble getting a seat at Fenway in October.
"But if they win," says Hurst, "I'm going to the parade. I'm going to just hang out and soak it all in."
His college-age son is selling T-shirts that say "Forgive Buck."
For his part, Buckner did admit he expects to watch some of the Series.
Except when Boise State is playing.
Hurst — who thinks this is Boston's year to break the spell — says though fame can be two-sided, retirement has taught him much. You find out who your friends are and gain time to put things into perspective. You come to appreciate what playing for a legendary ball club means. You also realize there are more important issues than baseball.
"Players sometimes take themselves too seriously," says Hurst.
Nevertheless, Hurst continues, Boston's fans are great — loyal, demanding and tough, if a bit skeptical.

Eighty-six years of waiting will do that.

"It's all good stuff," he says.

Try telling that to Buckner.

I've been saying htis for about eight days . . .

Psychologically speaking, victory might push Red Sox fans into an identity crisis

01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, October 28, 2004

There are those who believe a Red Sox World Series victory will mean only joy.

I'm afraid not.

A serious malaise may be on the way, my friends.

I know this because I talked to a counselor about it.

Dallas Gulley is a clinical social worker and program director at The Providence Center. I sought him out because I wondered what a mental health professional would say about a theory I had.

My theory is that despite all the complaints, Red Sox fans have pride in being losers. Having lost for almost a century, somewhere deep, we feel this makes us special. It's our identity. And a World Series victory could undermine it.

Gulley, 55, is a Red Sox fan himself. He's watched every post-season game.

Speaking as a counselor, does he think victory could send Red Sox Nation into an identity crisis?

For some, yes. Once the celebrations are over, he said, disappointment could set in.

For decades, he said, Red Sox fans have liked to tell themselves, "There'll always be next year." It gave them something to shoot for. A victory takes away that goal.

He compared world champion Red Sox fans to a climber who has finally scaled the highest peak. Afterwards, there can be a letdown, a sense of "Now what?" Many fans, he suggested, could find they liked the thrill of the hunt most of all, and will miss it.

Will we miss anything else?

Gulley said fans could also lose a sense of camaraderie. One thing that united Red Sox Nation, he said, is that we all felt the kinship of rooting for a team that never delivered. Sharing such pain drew us together. A World Series victory could, for some, take away that uniting force.

He also pointed out that psychologically, celebration doesn't last as long as commiseration. Sox fans, he said, have been able to commiserate year-round about loss since 1919. A victory party, no matter how ecstatic, is shorter. Weeks probably; months at the most.

And then?

"There could be a malaise."

Especially when you realize it'll take almost a century to build up another losing streak as distinguished as the last one.

I moved on to what I consider the ultimate Red Sox psychological dynamic: That we secretly have liked being victims. I think we've gotten something out of being perennially down. I'd argue we've even liked being victims of a curse. It brings us sympathy from others, and pride in being persecuted souls. It's been kind of fun being grimly under siege, hasn't it?

Gulley agreed.

"If a person continually has experiences where they're victimized," he said, "you can develop a victim mentality." He felt that may well apply to many Red Sox fans.

So what'll a victory do to that?

He said some fans could subconsciously yearn to go back to the old identity. People, he explained, are comfortable with what they know.

"Eighty-six years is a long time," he said. "It can be infectious."

Is he saying there could even be relief if the team goes back to losing?

At that point, he caught himself, and pointed out that as a fan, he's been waiting for a World Series victory a long time.

Haven't we all?

Still, 86 years of habit can warp you.

True, there's nothing like being champions.

But a malaise could be coming.

Mark Patinkin can be reached at mpatinkin [at] projo.com

I'm starting to get feeling back in my cerebrum now. I am starting to realize that THE FREAKING RED SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!

Hawg has not posted today or last night. I can not wait to read what he is typing right now. I can hear him beating on the keyboard.

Been waiting for this.... Bill Simmons weighs in on the clincher.

Malaise Warning

So is this the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament?

Re: Malaise Warning

Moebius said:
So is this the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament?

Yes. I can't wait to see what Hawg and his blood write for this spine tingling event. You can be sure that ItsGood_ItsGood will have a helluva story for his local paper that we'll get to read and DropKick Murphy is sure to have something fun, probably with references to Tessie... :) I bet Hawg will/is type up a tear jerker.

As I come out of my baseball induced haze and realize what this team has done, I really start to appreciate the articles and write ups that are emotionally drafted by people like me (except they are articulate). We are Red Sox fans. We have finally won and done it in the most appropriate way possible. No Twins and Astros for this squad. Only the Yankees and Cardinals will do!

Yeah, you should have seen how long the wife blubbered last night. She was a lifelong fan of course, but only thought she understood until we got up here.

It's like looking through a haze.

I know that it happened but I can barely believe it.

Forget about ending the curse and having 86 years of baggage erased in one fell swoop. If you don't get emotional watching a group of guys celebrating and hugging when you feel like you know them, when you suffered all the same highs and lows, when you spent the last seven months with them ... I mean, why even follow sports at all?
..That say's it all ......... This is what mfy fans can never understand.

great post Pook ........... Moe I was only 1/2 expecting the emotion that I released when i saw that final out ...... took about 30 seconds for me to be reduced to a 240lb quivering heap of emotional goo. 1st. thing I did was call my mother then brother aunts,uncles .all where as emotional as I was... as I'm sure 99.99% of Red Sox Nation was.
I too have noticed Hawgs absence for the past couple of days ........ can't wait to see what he,dkm and especially IG_IG comes up with. just preparing myself to become that quivering heap of emotional goo again. :Redsox:

It's funny, I expected an emotional shot myself immediately following, but as a whole I just sat in the chair (didn't even jump up) and smiled. The wife of course was busy blubbering away. However, watching the news last night of the ride from the airport to Fenway got me. Not the throngs of people at the park, but just driving down the street and seeing the people stop what they're doing to wave, applaud and cheer. The construction workers jumping up and down on the beams, the guy walking down the street, all of those people. That was when I felt something tug inside.

Crowds of fans are there to cheer. It's when you see the individuals going about their lives that stop and cheer. That's what it's about. Not the FANS, but the FAN(s).

Moebius said:
It's funny, I expected an emotional shot myself immediately following, but as a whole I just sat in the chair (didn't even jump up) and smiled. The wife of course was busy blubbering away. However, watching the news last night of the ride from the airport to Fenway got me. Not the throngs of people at the park, but just driving down the street and seeing the people stop what they're doing to wave, applaud and cheer. The construction workers jumping up and down on the beams, the guy walking down the street, all of those people. That was when I felt something tug inside.

Crowds of fans are there to cheer. It's when you see the individuals going about their lives that stop and cheer. That's what it's about. Not the FANS, but the FAN(s).
Well put...... and so very true :thumb: :Redsox: Finaly saw the re broadcast of New England Sports Tonight on fox sports atlantic .... seeing Pesky with ortix and schill telling him this WS throphy was his .yea that got me

Back