Anyone here a falcon/hawk buff?

TomWaits & you

Reaction score
I had a bird of prey, identity unknown due to decapitation, fly into my car and die.

I'm personally a bit pissed, because it looked like a beautiful bird. Mating for life is an additional grief that I'm attributing to my car being in the way of this thing. THAT is a bitch for the one left behind.

My questions:

1) Should I bury it? My prevailing thoughts are that it died as is. For us, it's respectful, but birds don't bury their dead. I'm prone to letting it be food to the various rodents/insects had I not seen it.

2) What might it be? Without a head/beak, the deciphering is difficult. I'm not a birdee.

3) Is this voodoo? It was 3 feet behind my car, perfectly centered. The head was gone. No indication of blood loss on the body, indicating post-mortem decapitation. Thing is, my rear license plate was smeared with blood. SMEARED. Lots of it.

4) Anyone a birdee? It's certainly a bird of prey. If I was savvy, I'd post a pick.

Thanks

I had a bird of prey, identity unknown due to decapitation, fly into my car and die.

I'm personally a bit pissed, because it looked like a beautiful bird. Mating for life is an additional grief that I'm attributing to my car being in the way of this thing. THAT is a bitch for the one left behind.

My questions:

1) Should I bury it? My prevailing thoughts are that it died as is. For us, it's respectful, but birds don't bury their dead. I'm prone to letting it be food to the various rodents/insects had I not seen it.

2) What might it be? Without a head/beak, the deciphering is difficult. I'm not a birdee.

3) Is this voodoo? It was 3 feet behind my car, perfectly centered. The head was gone. No indication of blood loss on the body, indicating post-mortem decapitation. Thing is, my rear license plate was smeared with blood. SMEARED. Lots of it.

4) Anyone a birdee? It's certainly a bird of prey. If I was savvy, I'd post a pick.

Thanks
First off, let nature have it as that is what God intended.
Here are a few photos that my help you identify it.

Peregrine Falcon
falcon-bird-of-prey_6174.jpg

Red Tailed Hawk
hawk-with-dinner.jpg

Coopers Hawk
coopers-hawk-in-tree.jpg

white tailed Hawk
59029781.KICX6580_ni_pwp_cs2_750x600.jpg

Red-tailed hawk looks VERY familiar. Very familair. The coloration is almost spot-on.

Decapitation, though. That is a bird of prey. What would be a reasonable explanation to find it decapitated? Literally. With no signs of blood loss or other trauma on the body? Simply: a headless red-tailed hawk on the ground.

Those are more common in my area than crows.

Well, that's 'good' to hear. At least they might be viable and strong. Around here, seeing a strong looking dead bird is out of the ordinary.
I'm not a birdee, so I'm not savvy to good/bad repercussions of natural actions. Either way, I'm fuggin bummed. Curious about what it might mean. More often than not, seeing an inordinate death is something worth paying attention to.

A hawks's death is a real bitch, imo. Sucks.

At the very least, they mate for life. I've been watching them fly around. For a few weeks.

That hurts. I've been watching mama/papa. One is gone. :suicide:

Red-tailed hawk looks VERY familiar. Very familair. The coloration is almost spot-on.

Decapitation, though. That is a bird of prey. What would be a reasonable explanation to find it decapitated? Literally. With no signs of blood loss or other trauma on the body? Simply: a headless red-tailed hawk on the ground.

Yes

Great Horned Owls are BAAAAD muther fuc.............shut yo mouth

A GHO would decapitate a hawk if said hawk was messing around near the owls nest.

In response to the title-

why would I care about sports teams from Atlanta?:shrug:

here's one in my back yard don't know what variety though

Yes

Great Horned Owls are BAAAAD muther fuc.............shut yo mouth

A GHO would decapitate a hawk if said hawk was messing around near the owls nest.

I remember reading an article in the Globe some years back about some fantastic spot to watch GHO's in Middleboro/Lakeville.

Any idea of where they were talking of babalu?

The article, if I recall correctly, seemed to indicate it was a regular occurance for them to frequent.

First off, let nature have it as that is what God intended.
Here are a few photos that my help you identify it.

Red Tailed Hawk
hawk-with-dinner.jpg

I got one of these things that seems to have taken up residence on the building next to mine. Probably knows I have a guinea pig in my living room.

That's not a guinea pig. That's dinner.

Make sure your screens are in and secured BEFORE opening any windows.

I've never really cared for any of the Atlanta pro sports franchises. :coffee:

If it was dead and headless, how did it make contact with your car?:huh:

Back