Are people serious????

Ray Crittenden

Sometimes
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/michael_rosenberg/09/24/brady/index.html?eref=sihpT1

One bad game and Tom Brady is done? The background noise regarding Brady is getting louder and I really can't believe people can be serious about this. ESPECIALLY AFTER ONE BAD FREAKING GAME. It doesnt happen much, but I guess its so shocking to people that they think his career could be over? If I remember correctly, Brady and the Pats lost in the 2003 season to the STEVE SPURRIER led Washington Redskins. I think he threw 3 or 4 picks in the game. Was he done then? I know alot of this is due to the knee injury, but can't people give him at least a few bad performances before burying the guy? The real question the "experts" should be asking is, "WILL MATT LIGHT EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN."

That is all.

:banghead:

Most press sensationalizes everything these days, its the only way to get attention a lot of times in the information overload environment we have today.

Here's an example. FoxNews station in Providence typically announces double the amount of snowfall forecast by the national weather service for RI. Every storm is a blizzard in the making, even if only an inch or 2 is expected.

So yeah, one bad game and sky is falling, nukes are dropping and the end has already occurred. Or you can step back into the real world and ignore the a-holes.

Brady has terrible games here and there and he always has. The problem is that he posted a 16-0 season and anything short of that means that his talent is diminishing...in the eyes of certain people who spout garbage too soon for it to be considered viable.

SI has become one of the absolute worst cases of shit-slinging, primadona loving, hyperbole filled pieces of trash on the web. They will run with ANY story and appear desperate to make ANY angle as controversial as possible. SI is a complete joke, as are most MSM sports outlets, so you'd be best to take things like this with a grain of salt. No intelligent football fan can honestly believe the drivel SI puts out on a near daily basis.

BRADY IS DONE LIKE DINNER AND MARK SANCHEZ IS ABOUT TO LEAD THE JETS TO A 19-0 SEASON, MVP, HOF OMGOGMGOGMGGGG

The problem the media has is a lack of memory.

They forget how many QBs have come into this league, lit the world on fire, only to fall back down to crushing reality a year later (Tommy Maddox, I'm looking directly at you right now)

They also forget that occasionally really good QB will have a shitty game. It happens. No player in the history of the NFL has had an amazing game, every game.

If this was week 10, and Brady has been struggling all season, I could see questions start to arise.

But week 2?

I actually thought the article was pretty balanced, raising the question in the larger context of the fast rise and fall of sports heroes. :shrug:

I actually thought the article was pretty balanced, raising the question in the larger context of the fast rise and fall of sports heroes. :shrug:
Which would make sense if Brady wasn't actually a fairly established QB.

People said the same things about Manning last year at the begining of the season. I said it was nonsense then.

Just like until further notice Manning is still pretty good.
Until further notice Tom Brady is at least kinda good. (that's all you get from me :harumph:)

Patience, grasshopper.

One bad game and Tom Brady is done? :banghead:

I'm of mixed mind. One might argue we have seen 7 quarters of football where Brady's status as a God might be questioned. The fourth quarter of the Bills game showed he still had it for at least two drives, but the offense hasn't really looked good outside of that closing stretch, especially in the red zone. They seemed to act as if they could play the game on automatic and the results would be like 2007. No way.

On the other hand, it is almost traditional that the Patriots lose one game to an AFC East opponent. It's usually the Dolphins. The Bills bit them 31 - 0 a few years ago to open the season. Too soon to panic. The Jets now have a corner that can play Randy Moss one on one. That means the rest of the offense has to play 10 on 10 football, rather than 10 on 9. This is too bad. The rest of the offense is kind of spoiled, and might have to step it up against the Jets. We'll see if Belichick figures out a way to scheme around it.

At bottom, we might want to see a few more games played before deciding where the team is this year.

People said the same things about Manning last year at the begining of the season. I said it was nonsense then.

Until further notice Tom Brady is at least kinda good. (that's all you get from me :harumph:)
Except if you read the article, he says:
Like most people, I expect him to play at a Pro Bowl level again, probably very soon.
It is fair to wonder if Tom Brady will ever play in another Super Bowl, because most quarterbacks in the NFL will never play in another Super Bowl.
He may win another Super Bowl, even this year.
Past history says it is unwise to doubt Tom Brady. (note: "past history"? WTF?)
Tom Brady might win as much as he has before, as much as anybody in the NFL ever has. But don't assume it. The sports world spins faster than we realize.
This last bit is the point of the story.

Is he playing both sides of the fence? Yeah - welcome to Sportswriting 101:Covering your Bases on Predictions. The title of the page (which is not the title of the article) is more crapponable than anything in the article, really.

I, for one, am pretty sure that this is it. Not just Brady, but the New England Patriots franchise.

Hope you guys like CFL.

Maybe. But ONE BAD GAME is causing the writer to wonder this?
Well, I will say that this "shocking attention grabber" that Brady has only won 1 game since the 2007 AFCC was pretty lame.

I'm with you, I had a whole thread about how often Brady has had bad games, and that we're just sensitive to it because few are REALLY sure that he'll come all the way back and be TFB again.

I said:
Brady? Well, first of all, we need to step back and remember that 2007 is fresh in our minds, but it isn't as if Brady was immune from occasionally looking mortal, either.

His statline for the Jets game was:
23 for 47 (48.9%), 0/1, Rating of 53.1

Before this year he started/finished 110 regular season games (2001 week 2 - 2007). Of those, # of games with:
Comp% < or = 55%: 27 (25%)
Comp% < or = 50%: 13 (12%)
Zero TDs: 21 (19%)
More INTs than TDs: 17 (15%)
QBR < 60: 12 (11%)

In other words, Momma said there'd be games like this...
But overall, I just don't think that article was much of a kick in the teeth...or even a prediction.

Why would the question get raised after one game? Do I get to sit back and everytime brees, manning, warner, brady, romo, rivers have a bad game ask if their career is over. Stupid at the very least.

Why would the question get raised after one game? Do I get to sit back and everytime brees, manning, warner, brady, romo, rivers have a bad game ask if their career is over. Stupid at the very least.
+1 for consistency, but -1 for predictability.

Only applicable if they're returning from a potentially career ending injury and haven't played more than a series of real football for about 20 months before 1.8 bad games out of 2.

Frankly, I think it was a legitimate question before week 1, never mind now. Do I think he'll be back in full swing? Absolutely. Is it a valid question? Sure.

I'm of mixed mind. One might argue we have seen 7 quarters of football where Brady's status as a God might be questioned. The fourth quarter of the Bills game showed he still had it for at least two drives, but the offense hasn't really looked good outside of that closing stretch, especially in the red zone. They seemed to act as if they could play the game on automatic and the results would be like 2007. No way.

On the other hand, it is almost traditional that the Patriots lose one game to an AFC East opponent. It's usually the Dolphins. The Bills bit them 31 - 0 a few years ago to open the season. Too soon to panic. The Jets now have a corner that can play Randy Moss one on one. That means the rest of the offense has to play 10 on 10 football, rather than 10 on 9. This is too bad. The rest of the offense is kind of spoiled, and might have to step it up against the Jets. We'll see if Belichick figures out a way to scheme around it.

At bottom, we might want to see a few more games played before deciding where the team is this year.

Brady played better in that bills game than the last two drives, in fact the entire second half was pretty damn good. There is more than just brady going on, penalties, drops, weird play calls, but brady knows whats going on, and I doubt seriously that he is wondering about his future. This might be the biggest overreaction to a situation I have ever seen. I showed 6 games last year where manning was aweful, mostly coming in his first few, nobody questioned his career from what I saw. Brady has lost 1 game out 22 regular season games, can we at least wait till he gets back down to the mortals before we call him done?

+1 for consistency, but -1 for predictability.

Only applicable if they're returning from a potentially career ending injury and haven't played more than a series of real football for about 20 months before 1.8 bad games out of 2.

Frankly, I think it was a legitimate question before week 1, never mind now. Do I think he'll be back in full swing? Absolutely. Is it a valid question? Sure.

Who has had their career ended after this injury in a long time? Why was this not asked of rivers? Or palmer? Or Osi? Sorry, its sensational media fodder. I think the question needs to wait just a bit longer than one bad game against a hot team.

VERY similar circumstances too. Both Qbs have all the talent in the world, but having your knee operated on and then getting into game situations you have rust that practice and "pre-season" is just not going to shake off right away.

I would say that TBs injury/operation being more serious and longer layoff more than makes up for the fact Manning did not play the pre-season.

Add the "new" receivers for Brady and it HAS to be tough to find his rhythm.

It would be great if he could step right in and be the exact same QB...but I think it is going to take time...how long until Manning REALLY came back? How many games?

VERY similar circumstances too. Both Qbs have all the talent in the world, but having your knee operated on and then getting into game situations you have rust that practice and "pre-season" is just not going to shake off right away.

I would say that TBs injury/operation being more serious and longer layoff more than makes up for the fact Manning did not play the pre-season.

Add the "new" receivers for Brady and it HAS to be tough to find his rhythm.

It would be great if he could step right in and be the exact same QB...but I think it is going to take time...how long until Manning REALLY came back? How many games?

yeah it seems a lot of people forget, the knee is healed, its not the knee, its his mind and his timining and just being used to being in situations. Rivers had the injury, but didnt miss a year, same for palmer, same for manning. Brady missed an entire year becuase of when the injury happened, this is not about a knee healing anymore, its about getting everything else back.

Midgar mode on/

What do you mean FAIRLY established????

midgar mode off\

yeah it seems a lot of people forget, the knee is healed, its not the knee, its his mind and his timining and just being used to being in situations. Rivers had the injury, but didnt miss a year, same for palmer, same for manning. Brady missed an entire year becuase of when the injury happened, this is not about a knee healing anymore, its about getting everything else back.

There's alot to this, I watched Manning for first handfull of games last year and he looked exactly like Brady has so far. Just off a little here, and a little there, and when you add it all up it just wasn't getting the job done. I'm convinced of one thing, the media has no collective memory at all. I could dig up a couple dozen stories on Manning from the begining of last year and it's the same crap being written about Brady now. I'll say it once, this offense is to talented and to deep to not get their act together. Add to that the fact that the defense hasn't been half as soft as I thought they might be and I'm not worried at all.

Back