As an owner would you trade Thursday night games for 16 games in London?

Should thursdays games move to London

• Who cares, not my body and I don't watch Thursday's anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mikiemo83

The Future
Reaction score
I wonder if the owners would trade each team playing one game a season in London in exchange for no Thursday night games. Each team gets a bye the following week. I think it would require 3 doubleheaders and no games in London the last 4 weeks so no team is traveling into the playoffs.

The NFL builds two facilities for teams to have to train, complete with everything teams need leading up to the game. The short week exist only on Thanksgiving. And the failed Thursday night experiment is over.

Poll to follow

With a bye after the London game it would require no London games for the 1st 4 weeks as well as the last 4 weeks unless teams get a 2nd bye later in the year. I wouldn't want my only bye week to come in the first 4 weeks.
With a 2nd bye the season gets stretched to 18 weeks. Maybe the CBA has something to say about that but...

If I'm an owner I would absolutely vote for that.

I wonder if the owners would trade each team playing one game a season in London in exchange for no Thursday night games. Each team gets a bye the following week. I think it would require 3 doubleheaders and no games in London the last 4 weeks so no team is traveling into the playoffs.

The NFL builds two facilities for teams to have to train, complete with everything teams need leading up to the game. The short week exist only on Thanksgiving. And the failed Thursday night experiment is over.

Poll to follow

Sign me up.

i think there should be two bye weeks anyway, as a player concession they could agree to practice more in pads when not on byes.
i loathe overseas games because i am still bitter about the NFL's hypocrisy re: NFLE among other things. so, no i wouldn't vote for that.

I don't mind Thursday night games... :coffee:

On%20MountainTime-500x500.jpg

Why do you ask "as an owner"?

The question makes no sense. "As an owner" I would rather my team played on a Thursday night than in London, if my motivation is making money. I suspect that many "owners" might enjoy the ego trip of playing in London however. So what do you think the significance of asking the question "as an owner" is? What motivates an "owner"? Greed? Ego?

Why do you ask "as an owner"?

The question makes no sense. "As an owner" I would rather my team played on a Thursday night than in London, if my motivation is making money. I suspect that many "owners" might enjoy the ego trip of playing in London however. So what do you think the significance of asking the question "as an owner" is? What motivates an "owner"? Greed? Ego?
well ol' Tommy boy, I would be a players owner and actually care about the players and their health.

So as an owner makes perfect sense when you look at it that way.

Richard Sherman rants about Thursday night games on the Players Tribune
This guy really hates Goodell and "The Shield".

Great read.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/ri...r&utm_term=Why I Hate Thursday Night Football
he is right you know.

not that the two compare but at 18 I was picked to play some football, and I loved it but I would be a little sore the next day, real sore two days later but my job consisted of lifting steel all day doing metal fab for the 1st season I played. My body recovered quickly and had no issues for the next 6 years being too sore to do anything - end of two days I was feeling good..

Then I got hurt, missed a year of everything while I recovered. 3 disk injury lifting a 220 lbs, 66" cylinder and slipping on some plastic.

after that it took me longer and longer to recover and it would often be Thursday when my arms would fully recover from the beating, I was bruised from elbow to elbow across my chest from blocking some large person trying to grab me and toss me away. I played several more years and another season in a flag league (I was almost kicked out of for being too violent) and I have no clue how these guys can play Thursday night.

A lineman basically runs into a wall 60-80 plus times a game. a WR runs how many sprints often throwing blocks, a LB reacts to how many different blind side attacks and collisions... it is insane to think the recovery takes place in that short period of time.

Sherman is correct

He is, especially for the collision positions.
Too bad they opted for less practice time instead of that, or an extra bye week at least.

"I guess this is what happens when you have people in suits who have never played the game at this level dictating the schedule. I’d like to put Roger Goodell in pads for a late game on a Sunday, in December, in Green Bay, on the frozen tundra — then see what time he gets to the office on Monday morning, knowing that he would have to suit up again on Thursday."

Talk about a money-maker--highest-rated football game, ever popcorn

Tough one. I (sort of) like the NFL for its Americana and novelty. It loses something when you only have to travel across town to see a game. I'm going to guess, as well, that a team based over here won't do so well, unless they are a) any good b) play games at 1pm local time* and c) drop the ticket prices significantly.

The NFL has a good following over here, and it's getting better, but they need to be really careful about fleecing the fans. I'd also like to see them help develop the game in the UK. It's currently all amateur and the administration reflects that (he says with some understatement).

*to make travelling easier. Driving to games is a non-starter in London.

@Gomezcat
wouldn't you say that most overseas fans already have their favorite teams;hence, a team there drawing a lot of people could be a novelty only and merely a short term money thing? that's my biggest concern, why disrupt people's lives so much for something inherently short term and avoidable that may contribute to the erosion of game quality? i have nothing against overseas fans' love of the sport or wanting to see it live, just that concern. i know the pats would be my team regardless of geography. i mean, it is now and I'm nowhere near them geographically. but that doesn't mean mine is a majority mindset.

As an owner, I'd fire my shit tier commissioner and hire a replacement who understands that Thursday night games and games in ****ing London are stupid.

Boom. Owneringest.

@Gomezcat
wouldn't you say that most overseas fans already have their favorite teams;hence, a team there drawing a lot of people could be a novelty only and merely a short term money thing? that's my biggest concern, why disrupt people's lives so much for something inherently short term and avoidable that may contribute to the erosion of game quality? i have nothing against overseas fans' love of the sport or wanting to see it live, just that concern. i know the pats would be my team regardless of geography. i mean, it is now and I'm nowhere near them geographically. but that doesn't mean mine is a majority mindset.

You're absolutely right. I've been a Pats fan since 1986-87 and am hardly about to root for another NFL team now. I don't see a London team as sustainable, particularly if it's not backed up by a Europe division.

@Gomezcat

Exactly this. As an overseas fan, I'd have zero interest in the fortunes of a London team, apart from in their games against the Patriots when I would be rooting against them.

I'm not in favour of a franchise here and I'm not in favour of more European games. To me 4 is the absolute max that we should have here and personally I think that may be one or two too many. Also, IMO the games are too focussed on London. How about games in other European cities?

Also completely agree with Gomez when he says there is no significant base for participation in American Football in the UK. There are some amateur teams and some universities play, but the NFL should focus on growing that grassroots element if it's really serious about developing the game overseas. The reality of course is that the NFL is not serious about developing American Football overseas, its serious about selling the NFL as widely as possible.

Thank you, Gomezcat and Smudger.
Were I in charge, I would focus on making the live games more easily accessible/cheaper to overseas fans, stuff like that. Overseas fans go through some serious sleep issues to see their teams. It's pretty impressive, actually. It's one reason why I don't bitch about night games, lol.

Back