Austin Collie signed today....

I apologize if someone has already posted this but I just seen it. I knew he had tried out for the Pats during the off season. This could be a good signing if he can keep from a concussion.. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9763203/new-england-patriots-sign-veteran-austin-collie

Well, it's already been beaten on in a couple megathreads without much actual analysis, so a separate thread is probably appropriate.

Anyway, Collie was a very good possession receiver for Peypey and lined up everywhere, not just in the slot. In his second season, he was on pace for over 100 catches, 1000+ yds and 10+ TDs before suffering his first concussion in week-9.

He was one of my binkies for the Pats in the 2009 draft out of BYU. He was a very productive receiver at BYU for a couple years, then went on his two-year Mormon mission. Came back to a new QB and picked up right where he left off. He went to the Colts at #127 after the Pats took Rich Ohrnberger (guard) at #123.

Anyway, the Colts under Peypey ran some similar option/adjustment routes with a somewhat similar play-calling scheme, so it shouldn't take him much practice with Brady to be effective in a couple of plays.

Assuming that he's now 100%, I'm not really concerned with his injury proclivities over the long term (other than I don't want to see him concussed again for his own sake) because I'm pretty sure he's a "temp" signing to provide perhaps a more viable target than Suds was or Boyce has been so far.

NFL needs to stop players like collin from keep

Well, it's already been beaten on in a couple megathreads without much actual analysis, so a separate thread is probably appropriate.

Anyway, Collie was a very good possession receiver for Peypey and lined up everywhere, not just in the slot. In his second season, he was on pace for over 100 catches, 1000+ yds and 10+ TDs before suffering his first concussion in week-9.

He was one of my binkies for the Pats in the 2009 draft out of BYU. He was a very productive receiver at BYU for a couple years, then went on his two-year Mormon mission. Came back to a new QB and picked up right where he left off. He went to the Colts at #127 after the Pats took Rich Ohrnberger (guard) at #123.

Anyway, the Colts under Peypey ran some similar option/adjustment routes with a somewhat similar play-calling scheme, so it shouldn't take him much practice with Brady to be effective in a couple of plays.

Assuming that he's now 100%, I'm not really concerned with his injury proclivities over the long term (other than I don't want to see him concussed again for his own sake) because I'm pretty sure he's a "temp" signing to provide perhaps a more viable target than Suds was or Boyce has been so far.

On his concussions, and I know this sounds stupid, but he was getting hit in the head on all of them. Meaning, its not as though he is falling down and getting a concussion. He was getting nailed on passes that kind of left him out to dry. So unless he is diving head first into the defense, I think he will be fine, especially with the way the rules are.

NFL needs to stop players like collin from keep playing. He had a long history of concussions . Missed a lot of time due to the after effects.

NFL needs to stop players like collin from keep playing. He had a long history of concussions . Missed a lot of time due to the after effects.

Well see you can't. If he is cleared to play and a team is willing to sign him, the NFL just can't say, no you cannot be in the league unless he gets in trouble and things like that. If he is medically cleared and a team gets him, not much you can do to stop it.

Austin Collie's contract: 1 year, minimum base salary $715k, with split salary if he lands on reserve list. Includes injury waiver. No bonus.

Per Reiss

Is Collie supposed to play this Sunday?

I hope they had him sign a waiver. Where he cany sue the NFL or pats if he suffers another concussion that ends his career.

Damn. I thought the Pats signed a collie. Maybe they can't catch as good as a lab, but they can block better than a shepherd.

Then he fit in fine with dobson & Boyce. Still learning the playbook ;).

Like I wrote above, Collie had three seasons of pretty good success running sophisticated option/adjustment routes for Manning - the primary thing that the Pats' rookies are just becoming accustomed to. The Pats' play-calling verbiage differs from what the Colts used (Collie noted this himself) but some of the actual plays are very similar and, with his experience and a couple practices, he may be able to pick up enough to be included in a couple of packages on Sunday. As BB noted yesterday, it depends on how much he was able to retain from his first practice.

I hope and pray he stays safe. If he does you should be pleasantly surprised.

Damn. I thought the Pats signed a collie. Maybe they can't catch as good as a lab, but they can block better than a shepherd.

Our Cocker Spaniel high-points thrown treats very well and out-physicals the larger terrier every time. She also makes great over-the-shoulder grabs without breaking stride and is so shifty she simply can NOT be be touched on returns no matter how well you square up (4.52 3-cone).

But...

Our Cocker Spaniel high-points thrown treats very well and out-physicals the larger terrier every time. She also makes great over-the-shoulder grabs without breaking stride and is so shifty she simply can NOT be be touched on returns no matter how well you square up (4.52 3-cone).

But is she willing to block?

But is she willing to block?

Oh yeah. Especially when I'm trying to get past the treat jar to my coffee first thing in the morning. Cut blocks are her specialty.

But . . . can she rush the passer?

:pat:

Back