Ball Spotting?

MontanaBrady

Reaction score
How come it always seems like the refs set the ball back a foot or two from where it looks like the runner actually landed? I realize sometimes they go off where the knee lands, but a perfect example is Fitzgerald.... he leapt straight out horizontal, the ball comes down and lands at a certain spot and does not move at all after landing, then the ref comes up, grabs the ball and moves it back 6-9 inches. :rolleyes:

It seems like a rarity when the refs actually leave a ball where it sits. WTF?

Seriously do you gave anything better. to do then bitch & mourn . all the time about the refs.

Seriously do you gave anything better. to do then bitch & mourn . all the time about the refs.

You drunk?

For real, do you have anything better to do than follow me around and bitch at my posts? You seem to have already made up your mind about how you're going to respond before you even enter the thread. Get a life.

As for this thread, clearly, it's not about bitching at the refs. It was asking a question about something I didn't understand. If you don't like it, then don't respond. #NotThatHard

Kensil

This isn't a knock on you, but ...

... I think all of us who are not real-time referees are spoiled by technology. We see exactly where the ball was, in high-definition super slow-motion, when the tip of the ball carrier's elbow hit the ground. The officials on the field simply don't have that luxury.

It makes sense to me that those on the field are used to players trying to squeeze another few feet out of each carry and/or catch by stretching out the ball after they are down. So, what do you do in that case? You average things out by halving the distance between where the player landed, and where he stretched the ball out to after he landed there.

In other words, given that the average man's arm is, what, about thirty inches from shoulder to fingertip, if you assume the ball should be placed at where his elbow landed, the most you will be off is plus or minus fifteen inches. And if the call of first down or not is closer than that, then somebody will throw a challenge flag, in which case, most of the time, the head referee will place it closer to correct than you did.

It sounds like a well-engineered system to me. :coffee:

You drunk?

For real, do you have anything better to do than follow me around and bitch at my posts? You seem to have already made up your mind about how you're going to respond before you even enter the thread. Get a life.

As for this thread, clearly, it's not about bitching at the refs. It was asking a question about something I didn't understand. If you don't like it, then don't respond. #NotThatHard

Kensil
I'm not PATHETIC crying little baby. Who keeps complaining about the refs. Every single time . I'm sick of this blame the refs shit . I have to hear about all the time . It's as bad as pats cheat to win.

I'm not PATHETIC crying little baby. Who keeps complaining about the refs. Every single time . I'm sick of this blame the refs shit . I have to hear about all the time . It's as bad as pats cheat to win.

I think this one was a legit question, sure history is ref bashing but I took this as a real question. I notice certain crews are more apt to take a conservative spot approach.

Again we at home have HD replay to make a call in slow motion. Try doing it in realtime while fearful of getting laid out. Refs do their job better than I would.

I spot the ball every play in my head and wait to see where the refs place it and the announcer calls it. Sometimes I am right. Sometimes I am wrong. Sometimes I agree with the call. Sometimes I don't. In the end, a few inches or a foot or two aren't going to matter all that much. I only really care when it is an obvious mistake of significance. I expect my definition of significance differs from others.

How come it always seems like the refs set the ball back a foot or two from where it looks like the runner actually landed? I realize sometimes they go off where the knee lands, but a perfect example is Fitzgerald.... he leapt straight out horizontal, the ball comes down and lands at a certain spot and does not move at all after landing, then the ref comes up, grabs the ball and moves it back 6-9 inches. :rolleyes:

If you're talking about the play I think you're talking about, his knee was down a bit before he fully outstretched his arm.

I spot the ball every play in my head and wait to see where the refs place it and the announcer calls it. Sometimes I am right. Sometimes I am wrong. Sometimes I agree with the call. Sometimes I don't. In the end, a few inches or a foot or two aren't going to matter all that much. I only really care when it is an obvious mistake of significance. I expect my definition of significance differs from others.
Do Not make me post the game of inches clip from any given Sunday!!

As for this thread, clearly, it's not about bitching at the refs.
Kensil

A new thread questioning the Refs constant incorrect spotting by one known to bitch about the referees is hardly clear about anything.

And in defense of a SOBER mensch and mainstay who needs no defending, it seems to me he has every right to have an opinion on and to comment on (whenever he wants) something like bitching about the officials. CLEARLY fair game.

And it's CLEARLY (if you want somethings actually clear) not about you, it's about your content.

Cheers, BostonTim

Lighten up Francis. No one is forcing you to participate in this specific thread. Just find one that is more to your liking.

I've always thought that bringing out the be all and end all chains for a measurement is meaningless on 3rd down if the 1st or 2nd spot was inaccurate.

There is a fine line between bitching about every call and accepting everything that is given to you...this is a legit topic.

There is a fine line between bitching about every call and accepting everything that is given to you...this is a legit topic.

Yes, but honestly, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought the topic under discussion was "diseases that Piggie has suffered from in the past." :coffee:

Back