Baron's Book Club...est January 1, 2023.

Do you all prefer print books or ebooks?
I do both... print and an iPad.
I'm liking the iPad more because I can read quietly in bed without a lamp and it does not keep the Mrs. awake.
Overall, I prefer print, there’s just something about having an actual book but 90% of my reading is on the iPad. It’s just so convenient.

I'm liking the iPad more because I can read quietly in bed without a lamp and it does not keep the Mrs. awake.
I have a Kindle, which is a tremendous convenience when traveling, as I can load up a few books and not have to sacrifice packing space.

I also agree with those that prefer the old-school book manifestations, and I really enjoy going to libraries and wandering the stacks. The serendipitous discoveries one can make at a library or book store (new or used) have no equivalent in the digital realm.

"yes" on the "actual book in hand" thoughts. I agree too. Maybe it's just me /we are too "old school" LOL.
I do however find that e-books are more expensive sometimes.

I guess it extends to newspapers too. Just something I like about sitting on a Sunday morning with a cuppa and the paper in hand.

I would humbly recommend either The Splendid & The Vile or Devil In The White City to start. The former is about Winston Churchill at the start of WWll and the latter is deals with the Chicago World’s Fair and the serial killer H.H. Holmes.
not a big nonfiction reader but i am going to check that one out about h.h. holmes, thanks!

I have a Kindle, which is a tremendous convenience when traveling, as I can load up a few books and not have to sacrifice packing space.

I also agree with those that prefer the old-school book manifestations, and I really enjoy going to libraries and wandering the stacks. The serendipitous discoveries one can make at a library or book store (new or used) have no equivalent in the digital realm.
I have never read an e book. When browsing I am seldom looking for anything in particular. I will pick up a book, by a certain color, word or artwork that appealed to me in that moment. That is where I begin my search. I rarely read the reviews and open the book to a random page and start reading. If it piques my interest enough to read a page or two, I will select it.

Print 99 to 1.

The "1" being for travelling or for reference materials. I keep a lot of things like religious scriptures, poetry collections, gardening tips, cookbooks, things like that on my Kindle.

For actual reading, it has to be paper in hand. That's part of the joy.

"yes" on the "actual book in hand" thoughts. I agree too. Maybe it's just me /we are too "old school" LOL.
I do however find that e-books are more expensive sometimes.

I guess it extends to newspapers too. Just something I like about sitting on a Sunday morning with a cuppa and the paper in hand.

I used to do that.

These days, I'm just not interested in paying $5 for news that I knew yesterday.

I have a Kindle, which is a

I'm at the library so often. One day I was asked what did my week schedule look like. I laughed and told them I didn't work here.

But want to add on to used bookstores. My family can be in one for hours on the floor obvious to anything around us. They are a dying breed unfortunately around me.

Let me add this. I'm a member of Paperbackswap.com. You get to trade books with other members. The way it works is simple. I put on my list books I'm willing to swap. If someone wants one I send it, using media rate , to them. I get a credit. If I see a book I want I use a credit. It has opened me up to books I would never buy or could buy and it helps with space. They charge 12 bucks a year. But it's a nice way to recycle books to another user apart from donating to libraries and elsewhere.

I have given books away using my credits as just because as a reason.

Hope this post is OK to include this. I've seen people throw books away and it angers and saddens me.

Let me add this. I'm a member of Paperbackswap.com. You get to trade books with other members. The way it works is simple. I put on my list books I'm willing to swap. If someone wants one I send it, using media rate , to them. I get a credit. If I see a book I want I use a credit. It has opened me up to books I would never buy or could buy and it helps with space. They charge 12 bucks a year. But it's a nice way to recycle books to another user apart from donating to libraries and elsewhere.

I have given books away using my credits as just because as a reason.

Hope this post is OK to include this. I've seen people throw books away and it angers and saddens me.

You would love living in Adelaide in South Australia. On many streets, there are street libraries where you can just grab a free book, or leave one.

mrs-harris-3-small.JPG

And it's not just Adelaide, there are other cities in Australia that also have these little treasure islands.

You would love living in Adelaide in South Australia. On many streets, there are street libraries where you can just grab a free book, or leave one.

mrs-harris-3-small.JPG

And it's not just Adelaide, there are other cities in Australia that also have these little treasure islands.
This is done in NH as well.

mrs-harris-3-small.JPG

I been wanting to make a free little library in my area. These are big in the state.

I would absolutely love it over there.

not a big nonfiction reader but i am going to check that one out about h.h. holmes, thanks!

The Devil in the White City was a tremendous read, although Holmes was one of the most disturbing characters you
will ever read about. Those that are squeamish should just skip this book because he was truly evil and diabolical. Your
heart will ache for the unspeakable horrors he inflicted on his innocent victims. Strap yourself in.

What I found most surprising about the book was the concurrent story of the Chicago World's Fair and how amazing that
event was. I had never heard of it and ended up wishing I could have seen it myself or that there were at least more
photos or films (very little survived) that could have helped to really grasp the brilliance and enormity of it. Larson's lyrical
descriptions of the whole thing were like the brush strokes of a master.

Erik Larson is one hell of a writer. He is a human time machine. It's one of the better books I've ever read.

I understand that Hulu is supposed to be filming a series of it but it won't be released until 2024.

I'm at the library so often. One day I was asked what did my week schedule look like. I laughed and told them I didn't work here.

But want to add on to used bookstores. My family can be in one for hours on the floor obvious to anything around us. They are a dying breed unfortunately around me.
I am fortunate. There is a Used Book Superstore that is biggest in Mass. It's in Burlington MA, and less than 10 minutes from me.
Nice piece about it was published this month:

I am fortunate. There is a Used Book Superstore that is biggest in Mass. It's in Burlington MA, and less than 10 minutes from me.
Nice piece about it was published this month:
Thanks for posting that. I'll be back in the Burlington area for a few days in the middle of January, and I plan to stop in.

Prefer books but on a tablet or whatnot I love the highlight, anotate, dictionary, copy and other features.

mrs-harris-3-small.JPG

They're all over Cedar Rapids, IA, as well.

Back