Baron's Book Club...est January 1, 2023.

One thing I've learned from my book club is that many people, myself included, have certain types of books that they tend to read, but it is always
a treat when you are dreading a book somebody else suggests and it turns out to be really excellent.

This month's selection was Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard and
I've never been much for American History and didn't know much of anything about James Garfield. Nor did I want to. In fact, I had to force
myself to read it and figured it would be tedious.

Well, it turned out that it was not that. I couldn't put it down and I learned that Garfield was one of the more accomplished, eloquent
and intriguing guys to ever serve as President

So, there are many great books out there and it's always nice when somebody drops one in your reluctant lap and it opens your eyes. Sometimes it's nice
to get out of your comfort zone.

As an aside, I downloaded the book through an app called "Libby" which requires only a library card to have instant access to the SAILS library network. I
don't use a lot of apps, but this one is completely free and doesn't even force you to watch ads or give up your e-mail.

I can find almost anything I need using the search filter and books download with a dizzying speed using a simple, easy-to-use interface. If you are still buying books
then you might want to check Libby out. Did I mention it's free? So I did. Your tax dollars at work to actually provide something useful.

I like to listen to audiobooks while driving or working around the house and have probably listened to 20 or so over the last few months.

As an aside, I downloaded the book through an app called "Libby" which requires only a library card to have instant access to the SAILS library network. I
don't use a lot of apps, but this one is completely free and doesn't even force you to watch ads or give up your e-mail.

I can find almost anything I need using the search filter and books download with a dizzying speed using a simple, easy-to-use interface. If you are still buying books
then you might want to check Libby out. Did I mention it's free? So I did. Your tax dollars at work to actually provide something useful.

I like to listen to audiobooks while driving or working around the house and have probably listened to 20 or so over the last few months.
My wife and sister are both ardent advocates for Libby.

@Hawg73
i use libby also,plus my local library app
as for books i'd never think of reading,you gave me that hint with the one about the world's fair. i also then read the one about marconi and another murderer. very cool books i never would have picked up otherwise.

My wife and sister are both ardent advocates for Libby.

They are correct.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Flip Z phone and have listened to audiobooks through Libby for hours and it seems to use very little battery power and
works seamlessly while on long drives. Neither of which I expected would be the case. Having access to wi-fi is always better, but I've downloaded new books over
the air while on the road and it still works pretty quickly. With Wi-fi it takes less than 10 seconds to download and start listening.

These are the same books which can cost around 15 bucks on Audible, which used to be my go-to source for audiobooks. I actually
prefer the interface on Libby which is quite easy to "rewind" with precision when you miss something.

I was reluctant to try it initially, figuring it was just another digital scam, but am glad my sister-in-law kept after me to try it.

One down side is that you only have 7 days to listen or read before it reclaims your download and there are limited copies available, so I have sometimes had to wait to
download a 2nd time and finish one. However, it remembers where you left off and cues you up there, which impressed me.

I could quibble about other small things, but there isn't a lot to bitch about instant free books wherever you have a cell signal. Just like
physical books, new releases that are in demand can be tough to get, but I understand there is a way to add other library systems besides
SAILS and increase your odds of finding a particular title. I haven't got around to figuring that out yet because with tens of thousands of titles I
can always find something that appeals to me.

I'm at the library a lot. One time I was asked what time did I come in. Them thinking I was staff. I use to schedule rooms for meetings, at one point they saw me and handed me the keys to open the room up.

Such a great resource to have.

#AvidReader

@Hawg73
i use libby also,plus my local library app
as for books i'd never think of reading,you gave me that hint with the one about the world's fair. i also then read the one about marconi and another murderer. very cool books i never would have picked up otherwise.
just finished reading Thuderstruck. Erik Larson is one of my favorite authors. If you haven’t already, check out Dead Wake. It’s the story of the sinking of the Lusitani.

just finished reading Thuderstruck. Erik Larson is one of my favorite authors. If you haven’t already, check out Dead Wake. It’s the story of the sinking of the Lusitani.
got a run of a thriller author i just ran across,then i will. thanks!

As always, Big stack of Books for Christmas. Always some good biographies Have read John Thaw the Biography. Not a great book but a good read on the very focused life of a fine actor. My sports gambling days sre done and gone. But the great Billy Walters autobiography Gambler, Secrets from a Life at Risk, is a hoot. Two thumbs up. Mel Brooks Autobiography All About Me is for sure all about him. And as always lots of fun. 2 more thumbs up., and 1/3 through David Meyers Bio on Gram Parsons, Twenty Thousand Roads. Sad ending on its way for sure, but loved Gram and the Burrito Bros. Excellent read so far.

Last edited:
I am reading Empire of the Summer Moon by S C Gwynne. It is a historical book about the Comanche nation, from their first encounters with Texicans to their eventual defeat by the US Calvary and Texas Rangers.
It was the longest war, over 40 years, that the US had with any of the Western native nations.
I had not heard of the book until I read that Taylor Sheridan, who produced Yellowstone, 1883, and 1923, was going to make a series based on the book. It peak my interest, so I decided to read the book before the series is made.

The book is well written and well researched.

Back