BB Press Conferences

HartLee

Reaction score
I was just on "another patriots fan site" and see that the mods immediately locked the thread started by the post below. Too controversial and upsetting for them, I guess. Figured I would post it here to see if anyone had any perspectives. Mods - please feel free to lock if this post is too sensitive or otherwise offends community norms.

BB's curt, condescending, shtick in his post game pressers was entertaining when the team was winning, but now it does not come across well at all.

For example, take the following exchanges from yesterday's presser:

Example 1:

Reporter: Why have the opportunities for Kendrick Bourne to be a regular target in the offense been so few and far between this year?
Answer: No particular reason.

Actual Reporter Follow Up: [Silence]
Proposed Follow Up: So, with the team having one of the league's most anemic offenses, your decision not to regularly use one of your most dynamic offensive players has been entirely random?

Example 2:

Reporter: Bill, how do you make sure that the players stay together the final two weeks of the season here?
Answer: Do what we have been doing.

Proposed Follow Up: So that would be playing undisciplined football, making boneheaded mistakes, and losing games?

Under these circumstances, why do reporters continue to walk on egg shells around him in his press conferences? What would be the repercussions of proposed follow-ups along the lines of the above?

Every single week a reporter should ask about the league-worst red zone offense and how to fix it. That and 29th on 3rd downs. BB on top of needing a new offensive staff really misses Ernie Adams

I was just on "another patriots fan site" and see that the mods immediately locked the thread started by the post below. Too controversial and upsetting for them, I guess. Figured I would post it here to see if anyone had any perspectives. Mods - please feel free to lock if this post is too sensitive or otherwise offends community norms.

BB's curt, condescending, shtick in his post game pressers was entertaining when the team was winning, but now it does not come across well at all.

Example 1:

Reporter: Why have the opportunities for Kendrick Bourne to be a regular target in the offense been so few and far between this year?

Proposed Follow Up: So, with the team having one of the league's most anemic offenses, your decision not to regularly use one of your most dynamic offensive players has been entirely random?

Example 2:

Reporter: Bill, how do you make sure that the players stay together the final two weeks of the season here?

Proposed Follow Up: So that would be playing undisciplined football, making boneheaded mistakes, and losing games?

Under these circumstances, why do reporters continue to walk on egg shells around him in his press conferences? What would be the repercussions of proposed follow-ups along the lines of the above?
I don't think there's anything in that post that is post lock worthy. But I might not be the best judge of that around these parts.

Example 1:

Example 2:

I'm not a mod here. However, I see clearly and understand the nature this message board.

The only thing this may violate here are some sensibilities, and that's to be embraced and encouraged. One of the very best things about this message board.

Hurt feelings? Pfft. Get over it and learn from it. :)

There is pretty much only 1 hard, full stop rule here and it's great which is rarely violated. No personal attacks or threats are permitted, just about everything else is a full green light go.

This is hands down the best online community I've experienced and why I've called this little corner of the internet my home since 2008.

Wonderful people here.

Even the dickheads and assholes here are unique and good human beings. :hello:

Outstanding controversial first post. Something like this typically brings a great deal of interest, discussion, disagreements and bickering and rarely delivers consensus agreement.

That's the beauty of it.

Well done.

:)

Merry Christmas.

:smilies-11117:

There are no issues with the thread premise as far as board rules. It's welcome.

I don't personally agree with the sentiment expressed, but that is pretty irrelevant. There is no reason to lock the thread based on the OP.

But it's future also depends on how people responding to it behave.

I don't think that you can be too curt or condescending to the press. The press will cut someone up, fabricate, create controversy where there is none, then expect to be treated with respect.
So in my opinion this thread is just turd stirring.

My immediate response:

If the Raiders TD had been correctly ruled out of bounds, and Rhamondre's forward progress had been ruled stopped, this team would very likely be 9-6, sole possession of 2nd in the division, holding the tiebreaker with the Chargers to be in the 6th seed, winners of 3 straight and 6 of the last 8. [Edit: and I think they would be a lock for a wildcard because they own tiebreakers with all the 8-loss teams]

Weirdly, I agree that the optics of his press conferences would be different. Yet, optics aren't reality. Would the answers be different?

Last edited:
My immediate response:

If the Raiders TD had been correctly ruled out of bounds, and Rhamondre's forward progress had been ruled stopped, this team would very likely be 9-6, sole possession of 2nd in the division, holding the tiebreaker with the Chargers to be in the 6th seed, winners of 3 straight and 6 of the last 8. Weirdly, I agree that the optics of his press conferences would be different. Yet, optics aren't reality. Would the answers be different?

I saw it live. BB was definitely short and I thought it was obvious he was pissed after arguing with the refs all game long with good reason. They gave no favors.

I saw it live. BB was definitely short and I thought it was obvious he was pissed after arguing with the refs all game long with good reason. They gave no favors.
I’d be happy with no favors and just adequate officiating. Flag nailed it.

I don't think that you can be too curt or condescending to the press. The press will cut someone up, fabricate, create controversy where there is none, then expect to be treated with respect.
So in my opinion this thread is just turd stirring.

That's exactly the point. If you are a reporter and:

1. The HC of the team you are covering is already treating you with contempt;
2. A discernible portion of the team's fanbase (i.e. your readership) is frustrated with the team's performance on the field; and
3. The Q&A coming out of the press conferences with the HC are useless (from a content perspective);

then why wouldn't you be more provocative/antagonistic? Is the HC going to treat you with MORE contempt? Exclude you from future useless press conferences where you will be continue to be treated with contempt? What do you have to lose?

That's exactly the point. If you are a reporter and:

1. The HC of the team you are covering is already treating you with contempt;
2. A discernible portion of the team's fanbase (i.e. your readership) is frustrated with the team's performance on the field; and
3. The Q&A coming out of the press conferences with the HC are useless (from a content perspective);

then why wouldn't you be more provocative/antagonistic? Is the HC going to treat you with MORE contempt? Exclude you from future useless press conferences where you will be continue to be treated with contempt? What do you have to lose?
Press conferences are useless anyway. The Boston sports media has just been pissed off for the last 20 years because they finally ran across someone they couldn't bully to get clicks.

Not that it stopped folks like yourself from clicking and feeding the monster.

Press conferences are useless anyway. The Boston sports media has just been pissed off for the last 20 years because they finally ran across someone they couldn't bully to get clicks.

Not that it stopped folks like yourself from clicking and feeding the monster.

Who are you, Mark Zuckerberg? You have no idea what my online habits are.

Uh huh.

Most of us know who Hart Lee Dykes is, and that your intentions here are less than pure.
You are a 47-year old from Worcester. Of course you know who Hart Lee Dykes is.

"Intentions are less than pure", LOL. I am posting on a message board, not trying to get the Ajanti Dagger from the mountains of Tibet.

I think the post is not moderator-worthy at all, but, sure, sort of aggressive towards Bill who entertains many of us with his unique
way of answering/dodging media questions.

You never know what you're going to get out of Bill except it won't be him dancing like a monkey boy for the media's favor, like, say,
Sean McVay.

Somebody has to win the press conference game and I like the way Bill handles it.

Sounded to me like Bill is pissed off and didn't feel like playing. So what else is new?

No adverse post history, Undertaker. I think just more of a pearl-clutching culture and longer list of forbidden topics/points of view on other sites.

If the topic here can be boiled down to "BB is no longer immune from harsh criticism given how this season has gone" (although that is truly a broader reading than I had intended), then I can see that that might be very upsetting to some groups of fans.

Even though the personal attacks from others started here fairly quickly (which I will normally respond to - that may be what you meant by "beginning to suspect" - but note that I will never initiate), I think it is obvious that this is a community that is much more tolerant of different viewpoints and personalities than other sites. Thank you for that.

Back