BB (The GM) Failed This Year...

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
BB is the GOAT...He will always be my favorite coach ever. No disputing it. FACT.

But, BB the GM didn't do his job this year. The results of tonight's playoff game vs the Tits speaks volumes.

Yes, injuries happen (obviously). How many olinemen did he draft this year that basically redshirted?

But, he never even drafted one TE this year. Maybe Harry is the future TE? I dunno... Pizza Paddles is toast. It's pretty sad when a linebacker has to be your fullback.

The Sanu trade REALLY bothers me the most. What a waste of a pick. I actually get the AB free agency sign. He didn't know all of AB's baggage (lawsuits, etc.). Dorsett...is a ghost. He gone. Meyers is a rookie, but, eh. Gordon wasn't anything special.

Michel was good last year. Not very good this year. He doesn't fight for yards much. He was drafted way too high. White was the second option for Brady other than Edelman. I can't complain much about White. He good. Burkhead tries hard, but, seems like a little short of a homerun...and he's injury and fumble prone. I do like him overall though.

The defense isn't very good. The secondary is, in my opinion, the best in the NFL...but, the front seven are mostly, below average. Van Noy can get his money somewhere else.

Folk was a surprise. He's actually pretty good. He might be better than Ghost. Bailey isn't Kern (holy shit that guy is amazing!!!!), but, one of the better punters in the NFL already.

There are lots of upgrades needed for the Pats going forward...I'm sure that most of us knew this going in that they weren't going to win it all in 2019.

/rant

Thinking back at the start of the season we were looking at a lineup with Gordon, Brown and Jules and a hope of Gronk returning. And we had a 1st round rookie reciever. Brady had never seen such a talented cast... That went downhill fast and never stopped.

The O never got an identity. Couldnt run and couldnt throw.

Thinking back at the start of the season we were looking at a lineup with Gordon, Brown and Jules and a hope of Gronk returning. And we had a 1st round rookie reciever. Brady had never seen such a talented cast... That went downhill fast and never stopped.

Yes...I agree with everything that you've said. It just unravel-led.

The whole offense never synched up. Andrews with the blood clot issue. AB. Gordon. Gronk not coming back. Jared Cook said no thanks, went to the Saints.

I bet Brady is dealing with an injury that he won't surface...

The Titans game would have ended differently if AB were on the roster

Hell, the Pats never would have played in the wild card if AB were on the roster

So it wasn't only BB who messed up...

with that said, it was like everything the team tried to address in the off season ... TE they brought in ASJ and Watson ... one head case, one old guy ... brought in numerous free agents for line depth, all retired or left ... brought in demarius thomas, anotonio brown and mohamed cement hands to address the wide receiver position ...

just didnt work out this year ... too much attrition

My understanding was that it was Gronk delaying his retirement announcement that screwed up royally our move for Cook. The team were all in on this, totally committed to getting him but Gronk delayed and Cook said he was not going to NE if Gronk was still here. The Saints then made their play and got him.

The offense was an abject disaster this season and BB must take his share of the blame. But there was insane bad luck as well. Harry being injured for so long as a rookie, Develin going down was huge, Andrews with a freak health issue, Gordon regressing in lighting fast style to his old ways, the AB situation which I firmly believe Kraft's hand was forced because of Happyending-gate, Jules being really badly banged up for a lot of games, Brady as well getting pummelled every single game...

A load of things just went wrong. I thought the defense would carry us to a SB, I really did. Around Halloween they looked unstoppable. Bur the front 7 regressed and the last month they've been declining. Jamie Collins to me looks like he loses interest toward the end of seasons. He clearly annoyed BB yesterday or maybe the week before as well as he spent time on the sideline.

A ton of work will be needed to shore things up on offense especially. Thuney is due a huge payday and I think we will need to keep him, he's a superb interior lineman.

We need to get some serious ball players at TE and WR and the run game needs to be looked at as well.

My understanding was that it was Gronk delaying his retirement announcement that screwed up royally our move for Cook. The team were all in on this, totally committed to getting him but Gronk delayed and Cook said he was not going to NE if Gronk was still here. The Saints then made their play and got him.

The offense was an abject disaster this season and BB must take his share of the blame. But there was insane bad luck as well. Harry being injured for so long as a rookie, Develin going down was huge, Andrews with a freak health issue, Gordon regressing in lighting fast style to his old ways, the AB situation which I firmly believe Kraft's hand was forced because of Happyending-gate, Jules being really badly banged up for a lot of games, Brady as well getting pummelled every single game...

A load of things just went wrong. I thought the defense would carry us to a SB, I really did. Around Halloween they looked unstoppable. Bur the front 7 regressed and the last month they've been declining. Jamie Collins to me looks like he loses interest toward the end of seasons. He clearly annoyed BB yesterday or maybe the week before as well as he spent time on the sideline.

A ton of work will be needed to shore things up on offense especially. Thuney is due a huge payday and I think we will need to keep him, he's a superb interior lineman.

We need to get some serious ball players at TE and WR and the run game needs to be looked at as well.

I agree with most of the speculative conjecture wrt what Pats need to get allot better to compete with the new big boys again.

The real questions are how does Brady take this total humiliation by Belichick. I still cannot fathom WHY BB would allow Brady to get BASHED EVERY SINGLE GAME THIS YEAR WHEN WE ALL KNOW HE COULD HAVE FIXED THAT PROBLEM DURING THE BYE WEEK FOR SURE. WHY DID HE NOT AND PLEASE SPARE ME WYNN COMING BACK INJURED WAS A GOOD MOVE!?!

So BB will now have no OC if, McD takes a HC job, or DC only a LC/Asst HC and I believe all coaching staff will leave Pats because of BB and I cannot blame any of them. I would like to see Tom Brady play one more year with a GURRANTEED and MASSIVE OLINE fix WITHOUT BB. IF HE GOES THEN TAKE HIS SON STEVE TOO BECAUSE MAYO SHOUKD BE RUNNING THAT D, NOT LITTLE BOY BLUE!

Yah, yah, BB is one of the best HCs ever for MANY REASONS, but this YEAR really showed BB end of the end, imho. Let's see if Tom Brady was the actual glue to make the Pats Dynasty really happen or not. Tom should sign a 1 year contract with specific sipulations that if team doesn't meet he is gone ! :stirpot:

If Develin and Andrews are able to come back, I'd like to think the run game will be a lot better. Harry and Sanu are solid run blockers. I think people expect too much out of Michel. If he has the space he will make a good gain, but he neither has top end speed nor he is a Derick Henry type player that will have tacklers bounce off him. Maybe Harris will prove his worth next year.

The problem definitely has to be with both tackles. Cannon didn't look good most of the year. Wynn looked solid, but can't pin all hopes on him since injuries have been the most consistent part of him so far. Both Mason and Thuney are good. Thuney needs to stay.

There needs to be a good TE acquisition in order to get the ball rolling. The fact that Ben Watson was the best available option speaks volumes of how unprepared they were waiting for Gronk to make up his mind. I would think a trade and maybe a free agent signing - maybe Eifert, OJ Howard... someone like that would work out.

The jury is still out on the rookies. Harry showed flashes, but he was too inconsistent. Meyers is a nice underdog story, but Brady didn't seem to trust him enough although he did seem more consistent than Harry. Both of them would really need to turn the corner in order to not need upgrades at WR. I definitely think Dorsett played his way out of the team. He was horrible all season, especially when they needed another player to step up when Edelman was being doubled.

I'd be okay with Sanu given another shot, but if he continues to be mediocre I'd expect him to be traded for a bag of peanuts a la D. Thomas. Jules still looks like he can play at least a couple more seasons. Hopefully injuries don't shorten it as he was the only seemingly consistent receiver in the whole roster, but he couldn't do it alone.

Defensively I think it's a matter of retaining the players that can be kept and upgrading the ones that can't. I feel like Shelton fell off at the end of the year. Guy tries hard, but against physical teams he gets pushed back. A big guy to plug the middle would be great. I think Pats need to re-sign KVN if he's willing to take a fair deal. Collins looked terrible down the stretch especially considering how well he started out. Chung is toast. He needs to be replaced. DMac will hopefully still have a year more in him.

The corners have all played really well. I think JC Jackson is due a big paycheck, but probably elsewhere once his deal runs out. Hopefully he doesn't hold out, because he's really been outperforming that contract.

Should be a very interesting offseason.

A lot will be solved just with OLine & TE positions addressed.

Good blocking TEs aren’t exactly leprechauns riding unicorns. They tend to be readily available. It’s doubtful we’ll ever land the next Gronk, but we have to do better than Watson at the end of the road and Hot Tub LaCosse. I’d be more inclined to just go T eligible, and we’d at least have OLine depth.

A lot will be solved just with OLine & TE positions addressed.

Good blocking TEs aren’t exactly leprechauns riding unicorns. They tend to be readily available. It’s doubtful we’ll ever land the next Gronk, but we have to do better than Watson at the end of the road and Hot Tub LaCosse. I’d be more inclined to just go T eligible, and we’d at least have OLine depth.

I still think we need some speed, watching these other games and how wide freaking open these guys are is unreal. Just someone who can get open.

Honestly, I cannot believe BB went into this season with no plan for a real TE, a real PR and a real KR and ..... a real outside WR. That would be like me hiring an engineer who is unable to design a properly working power supply; I'd be fired in a millisecond.

Belichick this season decided to:
  • Bring back an old team and several of those aging veterans suffered injuries at one point or another that affected the team, or simply ran out of gas by the end of the season;
  • Go thin with big bodies on the defensive line and they got run through in several games, including the playoff loss; since August, Deatrich Wise wasn’t a fit for this defense, but there he was in the first half, playing 3-4 end and getting pushed back 7 yards on every snap while Henry made roadkill of the Patriots.
  • Not draft any tight ends to help replace Rob Gronkowski even though that worked well in 2010;
  • Have a 42-year-old quarterback but not give him any speed at the receiver position, and not make one meaningful (sorry, first-round receivers are not meaningful here) veteran acquisition at the position in the offseason, leading to the failed Antonio Brown foray (he’s still Tweeting);
  • Trade a second-round pick for a receiver (Mohamed Sanu) who was average in a good offense with a good quarterback and weapons around him, and he continued to be average — at best — after his trade here with a lesser supporting cast; who among N’Keal Harry, Mohamed Sanu, Matt LaCosse, Ben Watson, Phillip Dorsett or Sony Michel would start right now on any passable NFL offense?
  • Not try for points with 1:45 left and all of his timeouts against the Dolphins in the Two Minute Surrender;
  • Put all his hopes for this team in an aging defense that couldn’t stop Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Ryan Tannehill when the game was on the line;
  • Have a largely green assistant coaching staff.
And we wonder why the Patriots will be watching football on divisional weekend for the first time in a decade?
Belchick is brilliant and he’s earned the right many times over to be wrong on occasion.
But this season was one big miss, and that was apparent in August.

(From Bedard, BSJ. https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com...aid-plans-go-bust-patriots-season-melts-away/)

I still think we need some speed, watching these other games and how wide freaking open these guys are is unreal. Just someone who can get open.

Yeah, you can so envious when you watch the other offenses at work over the past weekend. Cousins had a stud runner in Dalvin Cook who terrified he Saints D allowing him to freely6 find his explosive weapons in Diggs, Samuel and Rudolph. And he had eons of time in the pocket to boot. Imagine Brady with a supporting cast like that?

And then you look at Brees, he had Michael Thomas, Cook, Kamara at RB and Ted Gin Jr and an O Line that saw Brees sacked just 12 times the whole regular season, (though he got pummelled at times by Zim's defense).

We'll see more of it next weekend with the weapons Jimmy G has, Rodgers etc.

Bill really was taking the p**s this season with the personnel he surrounded Brady with.

Harry or Brown? Samuel? Metcalf?

Questionable draft pick there...

Agree. Especially when Josh used Harry so often on the outside. That's the worst starting position for Harry as a receiver. Nevertheless, Harry did step down vs the Titans when we needed him to step up.

With 20 FAs coming up this offseason, let's hope BB picks those to keep wisely and chooses even more wisely the replacements for those he lets go.

Belichick has always been a great evaluator of talent when it comes to picking guys up from other teams. He's great at taking lesser guys and bringing them up to their potential by putting them in positions to succeed. From Troy Brown to Mike Vrabel to Tedy Bruschi to Kevin Faulk to Kyle Van Noy to Wes Welker to Julian Edelman to... well, you get the point.

But one thing Belichick has NOT been is a great drafter. So many misses. His 2nd round issues are legendary. And until now, Brady has been so good that he's been able to work around these things by uplifting mediocre receivers with a quick release and accurate passing. But the 42-year-old Brady can't do that, and it showed.

So I give blame this season to Belichick (for what's mentioned in this thread), Brady (for falling off the cliff a la Peyton Manning), and the injury gods (who really screwed them by losing their C and FB), as well as just some weird shit (Brown, Gordon).

Just remember the Patriots had 245 man games lost to injury this year and still had 12 wins. No other AFC team came close to that number of man games lost with that many wins. Only SF did better with 248 man games lost & 13 wins. It all matters when planning for next year.

I think Gronk's retirement surprised them and the Antonio Brown foolishness haunted this team for the year. David Andrews' injury disrupted the entire offensive line for the whole season.

They need to make an internal decision on Brady asap. If he wants to come back, they need to decide one way or the other and move on if they don't want him. The need to not have the Brady issue hanging over them heading into the draft.

Back