Best Boston Sports Trade of All Time

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
This morning on my ride into work, the Mad Dog Sports radio guys were discussing best duos in the NBA. The conversation soon turned to trios/super teams. The 80's Lakers and Celtics were mentioned but the Celtics were discounted by one of the guys because Parrish and McHale came to Boston via trade while the Lakers were built from within (with the exception of Jabaar.)

Got me thinking that the trade for Parrish/McHale might have been one of the best in Boston until I found this article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/590676-top-ten-trades-that-changed-boston-sports-history#slide12

While I agree with most of these on this list, how is Heathcliff Slocumb for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek not in the top three?

This morning on my ride into work, the Mad Dog Sports radio guys were discussing best duos in the NBA. The conversation soon turned to trios/super teams. The 80's Lakers and Celtics were mentioned but the Celtics were discounted by one of the guys because Parrish and McHale came to Boston via trade while the Lakers were built from within (with the exception of Jabaar.)

Got me thinking that the trade for Parrish/McHale might have been one of the best in Boston until I found this article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/590676-top-ten-trades-that-changed-boston-sports-history#slide12

While I agree with most of these on this list, how is Heathcliff Slocumb for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek not in the top three?
the best part was teh Celtics were taking McHale at No.1 if they didn't trade the pick but ended up with Parrish to and allowed , From memory Golden State to take Joe Barry Carroll and Utah to take Dr. Dunkenstien. What I freaking deal that was.

the best part was teh Celtics were taking McHale at No.1 if they didn't trade the pick but ended up with Parrish to and allowed , From memory Golden State to take Joe Barry Carroll and Utah to take Dr. Dunkenstien. What I freaking deal that was.

One of the comments this morning was that they were surprised there wasn't any outrage that Boston had just pulled this off.

Kind of like trading the first overall pick to Philly and getting Tatum at 3. Now if only Danny can turn these picks into something, it might be just like the 80's all over again. :shrug_n:

One of the comments this morning was that they were surprised there wasn't any outrage that Boston had just pulled this off.

Kind of like trading the first overall pick to Philly and getting Tatum at 3. Now if only Danny can turn these picks into something, it might be just like the 80's all over again. :shrug_n:
sadly Kyrie arrived with promise but soon his flat earth beliefs allowed all the plans to roll off the edge into the abyss

Fond memory, Joe Barely Cares. :coffee:

Cheers, :toast:

thank god we kept Ken Ryan

I was an avid Globe reader back in the late 80's early 90's.

I seem to recall a potential trade discussed which would have sent Jeff Sellers and Mike Greenwell to Atlanta for Tom Glavine and AAA OF named David Justice.

Maybe I'm misremembering but that would have been a hell of a trade.

I was an avid Globe reader back in the late 80's early 90's.

I seem to recall a potential trade discussed which would have sent Jeff Sellers and Mike Greenwell to Atlanta for Tom Glavine and AAA OF named David Justice.

Maybe I'm misremembering but that would have been a hell of a trade.
Thatwould have been a nice deal for the Sox.

I was told Glavine never wanted to come back to Boston.

I actually went to camp with him, he was a freaking stud athlete in many sports.

Thatwould have been a nice deal for the Sox.

I was told Glavine never wanted to come back to Boston.

I actually went to camp with him, he was a freaking stud athlete in many sports.

I checked it out and the years work. This would have been in 1988 or 1989. Greenwell was already ROY and an All Star. Sellers would have been a back end of the rotation guy. Glavine would have been the centerpiece and Justice the unproven OF "replacement" for Greenwell.

Hated guys like Glavine growing up. Cuz I was always lilke three notches below those guys athletically.

Back