Bobby Orr

CleatMarks

Reaction score
I was feeling nostalgic today because of the game tonight and started watching some Bobby Orr clips. I remember watching the games or listening to them on the radio when they weren't on tv and how good he was. I started tearing up while I was watching those clips as I often do. Although I've never been a hockey die hard, I don't think I'll ever see anyone so perfect play any sport for the rest of my life. Highlight clips don't do him justice and fall short my memories of what he did on the ice. He was the perfect blend of talent, will, and mental toughness.

He's one of those athletes that drew you into a sport that you might not otherwise be interested in because you knew you were witnessing something pure and something that you had to witness for yourself.

Thank you Bobby Orr.

He's also a tremendous person, very humble. Bobby Orr is what every superstar should be, not a douche like Labaron, Favre and other A-holes.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D1fMcTq8Esk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MSDw3tMa7ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sGoGEjvvWrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was feeling nostalgic today because of the game tonight and started watching some Bobby Orr clips. I remember watching the games or listening to them on the radio when they weren't on tv and how good he was. I started tearing up while I was watching those clips as I often do. Although I've never been a hockey die hard, I don't think I'll ever see anyone so perfect play any sport for the rest of my life. Highlight clips don't do him justice and fall short my memories of what he did on the ice. He was the perfect blend of talent, will, and mental toughness.

He's one of those athletes that drew you into a sport that you might not otherwise be interested in because you knew you were witnessing something pure and something that you had to witness for yourself.

Thank you Bobby Orr.

GREAT post and yeah I was incredibly lucky that I got to him live a lot as a girl THANKS DAD! What you say in your last sentence goes for Tom Brady too..no joke. :thumb:

I wish I had been alive when he was playing. My Dad's been watching Boston sports for 60+ years and Orr has always been his favorite athlete. It was really cool to see him at Game 4 waving the Horton flag:

OrrHorton.jpg

I wish I had been alive when he was playing. My Dad's been watching Boston sports for 60+ years and Orr has always been his favorite athlete. It was really cool to see him at Game 4 waving the Horton flag:

OrrHorton.jpg

MOST excellet photo.:)

I recall an interview with Gretzky where he said that any time someone would challenge him on being the Greatest Of All Time, he would respond, "Okay, so you're from Boston".

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D1fMcTq8Esk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, this brought tears to me eyes.

For those who did not see Orr play, it's near impossible to describe it. There has never been a bigger sports God in this region. Everyone wanted to wear #4 no matter the sport you were playing. He is responsible for much of youth hockey in New England today. Rinks were put up in great numbers because every kid wanted to play.

Take Tom Brady and multiply by three. That's how big he was.

And I agree with therick, he was/is the consumate superstar.

I was in the garden with my dad & uncle when they retired #4, I'll never forget it.

He was unstoppable and it was like watching something out of this world. THanks for the vid piggie poo.

"he was better on one leg than the rest of us on two"

I remember his literally skating circles around people to kill the power play and watching people's skates come out from under them trying to take an angle away from him. He would skate with the puck in a circle from blue line to blue line and if someone messed up, he'd pounce on the mistake for the break away.

He made great players look like keystone cops at times. The thing that distinguishes him from other greats from town though is that you knew that he was above and beyond all the talent in the league.

Bird had Magic
Russell had Wilt
Brady has Manning

Who was Orr's peer? It wasn't even close. He had no equal when he played.

PatrietteAz, I love Brady and think he's one of the greats but he's a product of hard work as much as anything else. I just think that Orr was something else. He was as complete as they come. He had everything that Brady has but Orr also possessed an unworldly talent that he was born with. It was something to watch that talent play to it's potential. In some ways, I think Brady is the ultimate over-achiever. Orr was the rare achievement of a God given talent realized.

Orr was anointed from the start. The thing is, that kind of pressure rarely yields that promise. It's too daunting and too many things have to fall into place. Orr was one of the rare ones that transcended that promise.

I remember his literally skating circles around people to kill the power play and watching people's skates come out from under them trying to take an angle away from him. He would skate with the puck in a circle from blue line to blue line and if someone messed up, he'd pounce on the mistake for the break away.

He made great players look like keystone cops at times. The thing that distinguishes him from other greats from town though is that you knew that he was above and beyond all the talent in the league.

Bird had Magic
Russell had Wilt
Brady has Manning

Who was Orr's peer? It wasn't even close. He had no equal when he played.

PatrietteAz, I love Brady and think he's one of the greats but he's a product of hard work as much as anything else. I just think that Orr was something else. He was as complete as they come. He had everything that Brady has but Orr also possessed an unworldly talent that he was born with. It was something to watch that talent play to it's potential. In some ways, I think Brady is the ultimate over-achiever. Orr was the rare achievement of a God given talent realized.

Orr was anointed from the start. The thing is, that kind of pressure rarely yields that promise. It's too daunting and too many things have to fall into place. Orr was one of the rare ones that transcended that promise.

I agree with you and Bid on this I just meant as a fan you SHOULD see Brady live at some point because in HIS sport and for us Pats fans it is ULTRA special..historic even. I just hope the window hasn't close..

As I said Orr WAS an athlete with other worldly talent a true once in a lifetime or two lifetimes player and person. :heart:

I agree with you and Bid on this I just meant as a fan you SHOULD see Brady live at some point because in HIS sport and for us Pats fans it is ULTRA special..historic even. I just hope the window hasn't close..

As I said Orr WAS an athlete with other worldly talent a true once in a lifetime or two lifetimes player and person. :heart:

When I was 12 Orr was at a charity softball game. I asked him for his autograph (still have it) and after he signed, he thanked me.

When I was 12 Orr was at a charity softball game. I asked him for his autograph (still have it) and after he signed, he thanked me.

Das ist beyond cool.:) He is true mensch and the B's should invoke him tonight and KICK SOME MAJOR NUCKS ASS>:)

I was born in 1967 and the number one reason I got into hockey was hanging with my family watching Bobby Orr in his prime. I don't remember much until 1973.I never saw the Cup wins,but I do remember sitting on the couch with my older cousins watching with amazement the Greatest Hockey Player ever. I also remember watching on TV the night #4 was retired.Tehrick you are so luck,but at the same time we are so unlucky because I bet you and I and many others would donate our right nut to be ten years older so we can truly remember watching those Cup victories...

As a kid, the only athletes I admired (of my era) were Bobby Orr and Carl Yastrzemski.

I stopped watching hockey when Orr retired, and baseball just isn't the same without Yaz in the lineup. To me, those guys were magical.

Back