Boston Sports Thoughts for a Thursday Afternoon

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
Hello, all.

I've been away for a while and have oddly had a difficult time even accessing this site; very slow getting on and moving between threads, etc.

I think this will be more of a cameo appearance than anything else but a few of my friends here have PM'd or e-mailed that they liked my Boston Sports Thoughts threads and given that I have a bunch of them today, I thought I'd share them.

Here you go:

1. Does any team deserve to be summarily booted from the playoffs more than the Canadiens? I mean, OK, I admit it, the Habs are in my pantheon of most disliked teams in sports so I'm hardly objective about them. But what a bunch of divers and cheats. What do they do, have an acting instructor?

2. Tim Thomas, I love you. I do. But you need, and we Bs fans need, you to stand on your head tonight and carry this team. That's the kind of playoff performance that Cup Champions get in game 4s on the road when they're down 2-1 in games.

3. Milan Lucic, you are easy to choose as favorite Bs player. Your game reminds me a bit of Cam Neely's. Who didn't love Cam Neely? Ulf, please run into traffic right now. But Milan, I'm begging you, wake up and be you. Now!

4. Did anyone see the end of the Rangers game last night? I root against all NY teams on principle but talk about a horrendous way to lose a playoff game? Coughing up a 3-0 lead and losing on a shot like that? Goodness.

5. Nice to see a Pats schedule. In general, I liked the lay out and I'm good with 4:15 games. If I am coming up from the NY area, it's nice not to have to rush up early in the morning. And I enjoy tailgating and watching the early games before the Pats game.

6. That said, there's a 4-week period when 3 games are after 8. Sucks for the kids in the crowd. My son doesn't approve.

7. That said, getting pumped and jacked about the Pats -- or anything about the Pats -- is tough right now. This lock out crap is just brutal.

8. It's nice to see the Red Sox looking like a baseball team once again. What a horrific start.

9. Terry: Great that you finally figured out that Jed Lowrie needs to play every day. Most of us Sox fans knew that before the season started but better late than never in your case. Kisses.

10. Jason Varitek? Toast though strangely loved by some of the pitchers, apparently. Salty? Vastly overrated by Theo and the baseball operations guys. Theo? Deal with this. The problem isn't going to go away.

11. Carl Crawford? Take a pill, son. But he'll be just fine.

12. On the one hand, the Cs had to scrape and claw to win two games against a weakened Knicks team. On the other hand, they did win those games and they did it with moxie, veteran cool and superior coaching. That alley-oop to KG off a time out in game one...tingles. And letting KG post Jeffres in game two...brilliant. I loved the various mental mistakes of the Knicks. Letting Delonte go; shooting with too much time on the clock in game one; others. D'Antoni has his players believing in him and themselves but they make too many mental mistakes for him to be considered a strong NBA head man.

13. Please win game 3 and then bring Shaq back in the next series. These Cs can probably get by the Knicks without both O'Neals but no way they beat Miami (or Chicago) without the Big Fella.

14. Disconcerting that the Boston Marathon winner of yesteryear, Grete Waitz, died at 57?

15. I was OK with Brady crying in that documentary. I thought it was a bit weird but he loves his parents and it was a tough day for the family. Not that Tom needs my approval.

16. Very very very nice to see all five of the Sox starters pitch well in a row. That's what they need to get out of this hole.

17. More and more, Jerry and Don are getting unlistenable for me. Such homers and so little real analysis.

18. My prediction: The Cs will win big on Friday night. The big stage of the MSG will motivate them. Billups wont likely play. Amare will be somewhat limited. And Carmelo could be great again but I think game 2 was his best. And the Cs are due for an all around good performance. The Knicks will likely avoid a sweep in game 4 but the Cs will finish them off in game 5. But give the Knicks credit. They've competed.

19. My prediction: The Bs will win tonight. Karma, she be an angry bitch, and she doesn't like it when players try to fake out the Refs for penalties.

20. I'm supposed to hate NY teams but I can't hate Amare and with the Habs so utterly hateful, the Knicks don't look nearly as bad in contrast.

21. I'm absolutely loving even the possibility that Josh Beckett is back. It is early. He was utterly craptastic last year. But those were two totally dominant performances. Josh being back is great on so many levels, if he is. One, he has the potential to be off the charts good. 2007 was a crazy great year. Two, he tends to piss off the opposition; I like that. Three, MFY Fans HATE him. Having seen him lead the Marlins to the 2003 WS and the Sox to the 2007 WS will do that.

22. Great that Pedroia is showing no ill affects from his injury. Let's not take that for granted, please.

23. Okajima, thanks for the 07 memories. Now scat. You are not good any more.

24. Lackey, when you next pitch on the east coast, adjust your watch to west coast time or something.

25. I'm not even that Pete Carroll'd for the NFL Draft. Lock-out, die.

That's all, folks. Hope everyone who posts here is doing well and only good things are happening to them. Cheers.

Great to see you back Darryl. I always enjoy these threads, and your passion.

8. It's nice to see the Red Sox looking like a baseball team once again. What a horrific start.

10. Jason Varitek? Toast though strangely loved by some of the pitchers, apparently. Salty? Vastly overrated by Theo and the baseball operations guys. Theo? Deal with this. The problem isn't going to go away.

First of all great to hear from DS. One of the posters I used to love at this place.

8. Hold on to your hat because the Sox aren't out of the woods yet. This season could still go either way.

10. Tek and Salty-it doesn't matter. Catching may be the most difficult thing to find in Baseball right now. I don't know how the Sox solve this issue. There literally is nobody available that I know of.

kramer3hh.gif

I have a new computer. For the first time in years, I'm flying around the planet on the wings of bird.

Sorry you're having difficulties and am really sorry a) that we see so little of you these days and b) that this is likely a mere cameo.

Know that you are missed.

Cheers, BostonTim

Great to see you back, DS.

It's no coincidence that my posts here have been minimal to zero since you left. I hope you stick around.

Back