Brady is Gone

So I just read that Tampa Tickets are 4000 deep already and he is not even signed yet....yep 30 mil well spent I guess.

I like Thuney A LOT, but that $15 mil will do a lot more good someplace other than OG, especially if Andrews comes back at C.

I'd be fine just revoking the franchise tag and collecting a third round compensatory pick in 2021, though it'd be nice to get another draft pick this year.

I’d hang on to Thuney and move Mason if I were in charge.

At least Thuney earned his.

come on guys, let's get behind whoever takes the shnap from unda center....d(r)ooling dalton, camilo pasquale 'isaac the fig' newton, or Jameis 'I'll throw 50 tds, 40 to my guys' marlboros are better than a" Winston

blablabla bla

I believe I read that Miguel (pats cap on Twitter) tweet that releasing mason would clear like $12,000 in cap room that’s “Twelve Thousand”

I believe I read that Miguel (pats cap on Twitter) tweet that releasing mason would clear like $12,000 in cap room that’s “Twelve Thousand”

Yeah that is not going to help much. Will have to maybe rework a couple contracts. Not sure what players are willing to do.

I peaked over at the Tampa Bay message board ( yes one exists). Its damn weird listening to other fans talk about your former QB as theirs now. Its like watching your ex-wife date. It is amazing how Brady the system Qb cheater became so great to Tampa bay fans though.

Mason is being paid $6M in 2020 but he has a $13.6M cap hit in dead money so that's a non starter.

I'd keep Thuney and Mason. Cannon is being paid $6.3M in '20 and has a $3.7M cap hit. Picking up $2.6M in cap by moving him hardly seems worth the effort. Both Mason and Cannon restructured in early 2019 converting salary to bonus to give the Pats cap room. There's not a lot left on that bone.

By contrast David Andrews earns $3.4M in '20 (his last year) with only $400K in dead money. He signed a VERY team friendly extension in May, '17 for 4yrs/$9M. (his agent should have been shot). If he can't play this year the Pats would pick up $3M for the cap. He says he is playing and his $3M is a bargain for the Pats.

Bottom line: We'll have to look somewhere other than the OLine to pick up significant cap space.

How did the cap situation get this bad without paying real QB money to anyone? Most teams that are paying a big QB contract have a pretty good team. Really there is no one on offense getting big money.

How did the cap situation get this bad without paying real QB money to anyone? Most teams that are paying a big QB contract have a pretty good team. Really there is no one on offense getting big money.

Current cap space is $3.2M.

I think all NFL GMs expected the 2020 cap to be higher than $198M.

Howe's tagline in the links above is probably the most accurate, it's complicated because it was always a complicated relationship between Bill and Tom. The end coming is not down to one side, or one man. it's probably been coming for a few years since Tim wanted a long term contract in 2018 and wasn't given it or maybe further back than that when DG hit and the Alex Guerrero feud was happening.

I think Tom was the one who changed. He wanted to see a shift in how BB was treating him, he was looking for more from BB and not just money. BB did not and will not change his philosophy, he won't go all in one player to the probable detriment of the wider team. And we know Bill is right in that regard, the Championships show that. We also know that Tom's willingness to agree to far lower contracts than his peers was also a big contributor to success.

Tom wanted more, Bill couldn't give it and that's that. Tom always knew it could end this way, he saw enough marquee players leave without ceremony over the years. Bill has a winning way and he was never going to change that, even for someone like Tom Brady.

I think both men will be breathing sighs of relief this morning. All that pressure is now gone and they can both move forward.

Oh I’m on it. I’ll always be a Patriots fan first. My angry towards BB is on an epic level though. Brady should have retired a Pat. I truly believe BB is about to get exposed, and when it happens I can live with it. I want the pats to win, but as long as BB is here it’s gonna bother me. I can’t wait for him to retire.

And those free agents vets taking a discount to play for NE...... kiss that good bye. No one wants to play for a washed up ass of a head coach.

Please explain to us how BB screwed this up.

Winning 3 SBs recently is screwing up ?

We are financially in the position we are because of the moves he made to lead us to those wins.

Your hatred is truly irrational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Howe's tagline in the links above is probably the most accurate, it's complicated because it was always a complicated relationship between Bill and Tom. The end coming is not down to one side, or one man. it's probably been coming for a few years since Tim wanted a long term contract in 2018 and wasn't given it or maybe further back than that when DG hit and the Alex Guerrero feud was happening.

I think Tom was the one who changed. He wanted to see a shift in how BB was treating him, he was looking for more from BB and not just money. BB did not and will not change his philosophy, he won't go all in one player to the probable detriment of the wider team. And we know Bill is right in that regard, the Championships show that. We also know that Tom's willingness to agree to far lower contracts than his peers was also a big contributor to success.

Tom wanted more, Bill couldn't give it and that's that. Tom always knew it could end this way, he saw enough marquee players leave without ceremony over the years. Bill has a winning way and he was never going to change that, even for someone like Tom Brady.

I think both men will be breathing sighs of relief this morning. All that pressure is now gone and they can both move forward.

Well we will have to see if the winning way continues to work after Brady. Brady was a pretty big contributor to the teams success besides taking pay cuts. Bill is the best coach ever, but you need players to execute, if they dont, then coaching gets lost. I am not sure Brady was trying to get Bill to change anything, Brady played for 19 years with Bill, he knew what he was. I think it came down to a few more things, and maybe it was just simple as, he wanted to maybe go have fun and not have the weight of the world on his every move for once.

Brady earned the right to retire here on his terms. If ever a player did it was him. I don’t see this team going much above .500 that’s not gonna get them in the playoffs. Unless the pats had a guy in the wings who could get them to the super bowl, Brady should have retired a patriot.

HE WASN’T COMING BACK!

Understand?
The Patriots didn’t have the money. It’s that friggin’ simple.

HE WASN’T COMING BACK!

Understand?
The Patriots didn’t have the money. It’s that friggin’ simple.

It really is that simple. The pats at this point do not have the cap space to sign a big price QB or even a medium priced QB. They said they could have made it work if Brady really wanted to come back, but at what cost to everything else? The pats are sitting at 3.2 mil in cap space right now, that would not be enough to sign draft picks. They have some work to do.

Well we will have to see if the winning way continues to work after Brady. Brady was a pretty big contributor to the teams success besides taking pay cuts. Bill is the best coach ever, but you need players to execute, if they dont, then coaching gets lost. I am not sure Brady was trying to get Bill to change anything, Brady played for 19 years with Bill, he knew what he was. I think it came down to a few more things, and maybe it was just simple as, he wanted to maybe go have fun and not have the weight of the world on his every move for once.

As PatsFan09 says below, we can say this with the benefit of hindsight now, he really was never coming back. The signs were there during the season, he had threatened to walk in TC and as Mike Giardi said yesterday, he did play in a bit of a mood last season. He wasn't happy, even when we were winning and the defense looked outstanding, he was unsmiling and down.

He was never coming back and as pointed out, BB certainly did not have the money to meet his demands. The only way it could have worked was getting rid of the McCourtys, Slater, Thuney while also allowing KVN and Collins to walk. It would be insane for BB to even agree to a $20M contract for a 43 yo QB on a decline.

This is best for all concerned. Tom will get a chance to prove himself elsewhere with good weapons and a different environment, the Bucs season ticket sales are already going through the roof, the TV figures for NFCS games will be huge and the Patriots have not had to compromise in shelling out for a big contract and not being able to get more firepower. And both men will be relieved when the dust settles.

And when Tom decides to go, he'll return to NE for a ceremonial resigning and a heroes farewell.

As PatsFan09 says below, we can say this with the benefit of hindsight now, he really was never coming back. The signs were there during the season, he had threatened to walk in TC and as Mike Giardi said yesterday, he did play in a bit of a mood last season. He wasn't happy, even when we were winning and the defense looked outstanding, he was unsmiling and down.

He was never coming back and as pointed out, BB certainly did not have the money to meet his demands. The only way it could have worked was getting rid of the McCourtys, Slater, Thuney while also allowing KVN and Collins to walk. It would be insane for BB to even agree to a $20M contract for a 43 yo QB on a decline.

This is best for all concerned. Tom will get a chance to prove himself elsewhere with good weapons and a different environment, the Bucs season ticket sales are already going through the roof, the TV figures for NFCS games will be huge and the Patriots have not had to compromise in shelling out for a big contract and not being able to get more firepower. And both men will be relieved when the dust settles.

And when Tom decides to go, he'll return to NE for a ceremonial resigning and a heroes farewell.

True, although I dont think Brady needs to prove himself. We are past that point. Again though if everyone just had a major want to of Brady playing 1 more year, they could have moved money around. I think he would take a bit less to stay, but probably not 20 mil less. I think this decision was Brady's to make and I think there were more reasons than money for him, but for the pats, yeah with our cap, it would have been tough.

True, although I dont think Brady needs to prove himself. We are past that point. Again though if everyone just had a major want to of Brady playing 1 more year, they could have moved money around. I think he would take a bit less to stay, but probably not 20 mil less. I think this decision was Brady's to make and I think there were more reasons than money for him, but for the pats, yeah with our cap, it would have been tough.

He'll always be a Patriot. You know that. Doesn't matter what he does in Tampa, when his HOF moment comes it's what he did as a Patriot that cemented his greatness and he knows that. And so do we.

He'll always be a Patriot. You know that. Doesn't matter what he does in Tampa, when his HOF moment comes it's what he did as a Patriot that cemented his greatness and he knows that. And so do we.

I know this is probably wrong, but I said a few years ago that I almost felt like it was hard to be a Patriots fan, and what I meant was, that every year was Superbowl or utter failure. When your team is on the top for that long anything less is looked at as a major disappointment that takes us weeks to get over. The horrible days leading up to superbowls and nervous games over and over. I even said once that I was actually happier as a pats fan when they were on the climb because the expectations were low, but anything good was a parade. Maybe after 19 years, Brady felt some of that. Maybe he wanted to spend his last year or two having a bit of fun without the overwelming pressure. Maybe he didnt like what he had become and getting that upset because the team didnt win. Yeah that would probably not put him in a great light, but we are all humans, sometimes fans forget that.

On a lighter note, if Brady can play 283 more games and lose all of them, he would equal Tampa Bays franchise winning pct.

Back