Branch takes a 2011 pay cut

You are both wrong. Contract are not based on past performance. Which I agree that Wes' has been spectacular. They are based on future performance. To give him a fat contract with an equally fat signing bonus before he can prove he's overcome his injury and can play at the pre-injury level is crazy talk.

That is ALL you can base anything on unless you are saying that BB is in fact a witch with a crystal ball and he can see Wes's future performances?:)

That is ALL you can base anything on unless you are saying that BB is in fact a witch with a crystal ball and he can see Wes's future performances?:)
Then why didn't they give troy brown a big fat contract and Bonus??? His past performance was the best ever or as Dwight said "The pure embodiement of the Patriot way."

I know it's not our money so we throw it around willynilly but the dudes knee was shredded and he hasn't proved he can stay healthy yet.

When we sign free agents and re-up contracts for players we DONT base it on past performance. We base it on what they can deliver in the future. Tom Brady didn't get 100 million for winning 3 SB's. he got 100 million to put up numbers LIKE those when winning 3 SB's.

If they waited to redo Brady's contract after he played a full year without a problem why would they sign Wes until he shows he can play a full year without a problem?

Then why didn't they give troy brown a big fat contract and Bonus??? His past performance was the best ever or as Dwight said "The pure embodiement of the Patriot way."

I know it's not our money so we throw it around willynilly but the dudes knee was shredded and he hasn't proved he can stay healthy yet.

When we sign free agents and re-up contracts for players we DONT base it on past performance. We base it on what they can deliver in the future. Tom Brady didn't get 100 million for winning 3 SB's. he got 100 million to put up numbers LIKE those when winning 3 SB's.

If they waited to redo Brady's contract after he played a full year without a problem why would they sign Wes until he shows he can play a full year without a problem?

Unlike the other sports, the NFL contract isn't guaranteed.

Pay him. He can always be released if it's not holding up.

Meanwhile, Wes makes 2.5 mil in 2011... :)

Pro Football Weekly looks at the Branch contract restructure in terms of a Welker extension:

Patriots WR Deion Branch has agreed to adjust the final year of his contract a couple days after rejoining the Pats, according to a story by Ron Borges in the Boston Herald. Branch agreed to bring down the $5.95 million he was supposed to earn in his final year significantly, but with incentives he could still net around $4 million, based on his production.

Borges wrote that the request for the cut in base pay for 2011 wasn't a surprise to Branch because the Patriots will be trying to extend WR Wes Welker's contract. Welker is making $1.9 million this year and set for $2.15 million in 2011.

The way we see it

With Randy Moss gone and lots of youth at the position below Welker, it's crucial for the Patriots to have everything they need when negotiating a long-term deal with one of the top receivers in the game. If Branch made $5.5 million in 2011 with Welker making just over $2 million, that would not help the Patriots in negotiations with Welker. It should be easier now to extend Welker's contract while still keeping Branch happy.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/10/14/report-patriots-readjust-wr-branchs-contract-with

Personally, I'd try to find some way of channeling that $1.5M or so saved to WWW now, just to keep things copacetic. Our entire WR and TE group would end up costing around $12.5M ($4M each to Branch and Welker, $2M for Alge Crumpler, and about $2.5M for Edelman, Tate, Price, Gronkowski and Hernandez combined). Pretty reasonable.

Personally, I'd try to find some way of channeling that $1.5M or so saved to WWW now, just to keep things copacetic. Our entire WR and TE group would end up costing around $12.5M ($4M each to Branch and Welker, $2M for Alge Crumpler, and about $2.5M for Edelman, Tate, Price, Gronkowski and Hernandez combined). Pretty reasonable.

This, while plausible, could present problems as well. Something in the language about not being able to redo a deal twice in a calendar year.

Thats the least of the concerns. Cap hits and signing bonuses are the major concerns. Sometimes the bonuses are almost as much as the contracts.

You are both wrong. Contract are not based on past performance. Which I agree that Wes' has been spectacular. They are based on future performance. To give him a fat contract with an equally fat signing bonus before he can prove he's overcome his injury and can play at the pre-injury level is crazy talk.

He's leading the team in catches by a fair margin, most people think WW isn't back to his pre-injury self when in fact he has been back to it since game 1, it's just that we have this guy named Hernandez who has been taking some of the load off WW.

Exactly. If contracts were based on past performance, then Moss would have gotten the new deal he wanted. They are based on the perceived future performance.

Typically, parts of the contract (like the signing bonus) is guaranteed, but typically, most of the salary portion is not guaranteed. Assuming the cap in the new CBA will be similar to the prior cap rules, there can be significant cap hits for cutting a player too soon after paying him a big signing bonus (which Welker certainly will get in a new deal).

Typically, parts of the contract (like the signing bonus) is guaranteed, but typically, most of the salary portion is not guaranteed. Assuming the cap in the new CBA will be similar to the prior cap rules, there can be significant cap hits for cutting a player too soon after paying him a big signing bonus (which Welker certainly will get in a new deal).

I don't know squat about how the salary cap works, but I'm going to take a guess anyway.

Are you saying that if Player X signs a deal for 2011 through 2013 with a $6M signing bonus, that bonus gets divided out a $2M a year if he plays out the contract, but if he's cut in 2011, all $6M counts toward that year's cap?

Meanwhile, Wes makes 2.5 mil in 2011... :)

That is what I love about Welker. He not sitting at home Complaining he wants more Money Like mankins. Welker led the league in catches the last two years. Did he once asked for a new contact or want More Money NO. He is playing with the contact he signed. I sure the pats will reward him with a new Contract.

Not for long.

RapSheet Borges also reports that the Patriots are "trying to extend the contract of Wes Welker" who is now set to make just $2.5 million in 2011

$2.2 mil base for Branch.

"make" and "just" in context of 2.5 mill ROFL life sucks all around..........:jester:

That is what I love about Welker. He not sitting at home Complaining he wants more Money Like mankins. Welker led the league in catches the last two years. Did he once asked for a new contact or want More Money NO. He is playing with the contact he signed. I sure the pats will reward him with a new Contract.
To be fair, you don't have much leverage to demand more money when coming off a major injury like he did. Let's revisit this next year if the Pats don't have him signed to at least an extension before the start of the season. I don't think it will come down to that though

Back