Breaking? Three NFL'ers missing in boat off Florida

All I know is that the ocean is a might bitch and I'd only want to brave it in a huge mutha-effing craft.

I hope there is some good news out of this.
Same here, Jh. I have a 21-footer, and I would never take it out that far. I don't care if it's a center console, double-hulled fishing boat. The sea is way too big for that speck in the vast ocean.

Same here, Jh. I have a 21-footer, and I would never take it out that far. I don't care if it's a center console, double-hulled fishing boat. The sea is way too big for that speck in the vast ocean.

4 realz. Nothing you could do if it went wrong. I mean, look at the vessels they use on Deadliest Catch. Those go down all de time.

The media is reporting they have found a capsized? boat in the area where they were searching for the missing NFL players. One survivor found.

This just broke, and is very preliminary from what I can tell. No report on whether this is indeed THE boat, or just a boat.
Confirmed that it's THE boat. They found one of the friends of one of the NFLers. Three missing in the water with life vests.

The clock is ticking here....not good.

prayers are still with them and their families

Confirmed that it's THE boat. They found one of the friends of one of the NFLers. Three missing in the water with life vests.

The clock is ticking here....not good.

Well, on the bright side, they've found 1 survivor, and we know the other 3 have life vests on.

Keep praying!

Nothing new as of 11 news. They did say that they had been in the water since Saturday, and that a wave or something came at around 2 am saturday and separated them. Very sad, and its really cold here, so that could make things harder for them

In this day and age, why aren't all life vests required to have some sort of GPS chip, or Lojack type devise that allows the Coast Guard to locate the survivors? Surely there is something that could be developed that would allow the Coast Guard to find them.

There's a concept for some out of work, electrical engineer to start working on in his basement. You can send me half of the profits.

Thats a very good idea, wonder why no one has thought about it

Rather than a wave swamping them, my first thought would be they were going too fast and launched themselves into the air, where gravity/weight distribution took over...

As for the 'lojack' chip idea: saltwater corrodes, batteries have limited shelf life, and people forget to inspect and replace problem parts all the time. There are radio transponder devices available now which can be carried with the boat, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar for personal use, it's a matter of cost and maintenance...and people drive with bald or under-inflated tires all the time. 'We has met the enemy, and they is us.'

4 realz. Nothing you could do if it went wrong. I mean, look at the vessels they use on Deadliest Catch. Those go down all de time.

Yes but generally they have had either pump failure, over loaded the boat or ice build up.
They dont go down nearly as often as they used to either, not since the "A" boats.
To really shorten a story
The "A" boats were all re-fitted and they re-painted the bottom paint line on the boat. The boats sat different in the water and were much less sea-worthy.

http://www.skagitpublishing.com/ourcentury/1980-1989.html

In this day and age, why aren't all life vests required to have some sort of GPS chip, or Lojack type devise that allows the Coast Guard to locate the survivors? Surely there is something that could be developed that would allow the Coast Guard to find them.

There's a concept for some out of work, electrical engineer to start working on in his basement. You can send me half of the profits.

Money
Besides, kayakers went missing over the weekend in New Hampshire............ wheres the thread?

Rather than a wave swamping them, my first thought would be they were going too fast and launched themselves into the air, where gravity/weight distribution took over...

As for the 'lojack' chip idea: saltwater corrodes, batteries have limited shelf life, and people forget to inspect and replace problem parts all the time. There are radio transponder devices available now which can be carried with the boat, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar for personal use, it's a matter of cost and maintenance...and people drive with bald or under-inflated tires all the time. 'We has met the enemy, and they is us.'

+1
There are personal EPIRB units as well as automatically deployed EPIRB units required for commercial and charter fisheries but nothing is required for personal/pleasure boating.................. yet.

I'm not sure how it affects the water, but air temps dipped into the low 40s/high 30s here last night.

Well it is Tuesday, they went missing a few days ago, my prayers go to the families still

I'm not really 100% up to date on all of the new technology, but can't you now locate a chip without it being powered? The concept is that the powered device would be on the Coast Guard boat or helicoptor. It would send out a signal that would bounce back off of a chip in the life vest. Kind of like a scan card or electronic passport.

As far as the cost, I'm sure that the Coast Guard could pay for several of these transmitting devices with what they've spent on fuel and man power for this search. The chips would probably add a minimal increase to the cost of the vest.

As I said, I'm far from an expert on this type of technology, but I bet that something along these lines could be developed by someone who's a lot smarter than me.

'We has met the enemy, and they is us.'

pogo.jpg

Cheers, BostonTim

This is really sad. I grew up in a different era in Glouceser back when their were two large and vigourous fishing fleets (the Portugese fleet and the Italian fleet.

The history of Gloucester is the history of courageous men who die at sea.

gloucester.jpg

I was probably four or five when this guy Tony across the street from us was lost. I remember the strange quiet in the neiggborhood, people whispering, a couple of black cars and not much more. I never developed a huge phobia about boats or the ocean but there is a nervousness that goes back to this I think.

Anyway, I always think of this with sea deaths. It was the same with Marquis.

BostonTim

This is really sad. I grew up in a different era in Glouceser back when their were two large and vigourous fishing fleets (the Portugese fleet and the Italian fleet.

The history of Gloucester is the history of courageous men who die at sea.

gloucester.jpg

I was probably four or five when this guy Tony across the street from us was lost. I remember the strange quiet in the neiggborhood, people whispering, a couple of black cars and not much more. I never developed a huge phobia about boats or the ocean but there is a nervousness that goes back to this I think.

Anyway, I always think of this with sea deaths. It was the same with Marquis.

BostonTim

Tough way to make a living thats for sure.

Back