Can Chung Spy Rice?

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Can Chung handle spying Rice one-on-one this game?

Do people feel he's capable of that assignment?

And does that philosophy pose problems from an X's and O's standpoint, say with regard to TE's and WR slants?

Love to hear from some of the true X and O experts.

Yeah, you AWTE.:coffee:

Mayo on rice sound right to me !
Posted via Mobile Device

And does that philosophy pose problems from an X's and O's standpoint, say with regard to TE's and WR slants?

Love to hear from some of the true X and O experts.

Yeah, you AWTE.:coffee:

鍾家庭 is a natural for covering the slants. On any dog-leg routes, he'll eat em alive. 鍾家庭 will be all over Rice like a pair of chopsticks.
The result will be many poor drives.

Spikes and Mayo or any other LB not named Gary Guyton would be fine on Ray Rice. Unless Chung is playing LB in a certain package where he would shadow Rice you probably will not see it. As a S, if Chung is shadowing Ray Rice we're going to get beat deep quite a few times.

Spikes and Mayo or any other LB not named Gary Guyton would be fine on Ray Rice. Unless Chung is playing LB in a certain package where he would shadow Rice you probably will not see it. As a S, if Chung is shadowing Ray Rice we're going to get beat deep quite a few times.

I was thinking Fletcher. Not as fast as Guyton but a sure tackler.

Receiving he went 38 for 8 catches.

Thanks for clarifying, Os. I did mean receiving but I didn't realize Fletcher did that well covering Rice. I'd expect Spikes/Mayo to split as the run spy, wouldn't you?

Chung would be more than capable but so would Mayo and a few of the other backers. I'd rather use Chung in pass coverage against their TE's and a backer against Rice because it's stringer all around. Against the run, I think they are better off focusing on their fundamentals all around rather than making drastic changes to their run defense that will compromise their coverages. They can certainly drop Chung into the box as another second level defender in the box on certain D&D and formations. I think some mixture of that and the Pats base dual coverage looks would be more effective in controlling Rice.

However the Pats do it, containing Rice is one key - not only his rushing, but also catching passes out of the backfield. Rice is the Ravens 3rd leading receiver and virtually tied with Boldin as Flacco's favorite target (Boldin = 105 tgts, Rice = 104 tgts). Rice has a 73% catch rate and has, by a huge margin, the greatest amount of YAC with 666yds (Boldin, Smith and Dickson have 643 YAC combined).

Rice's avg per game contribution is about 130 yds (85 rush, 45 receiving). The Pats D needs to cut that by at least 50% without devoting extraordinary resources to doing so (and without letting up when Ricky Williams or Vonta Leach are subbing in).

Rice seems to get the bulk of his rushing yards on breakaway long runs while getting stuffed more than half the time - very similar to McGahee, and in contrast to BGE, who rarely gets stuffed but rarely breaks long runs.

BTW, according to FO, the Ravens are #1 in rushing yards around (offensive) left end, though they've only gone that way about 4% of the time. They're #8 rushing over RG/RT (Yanda/Oher) and they go THAT way about 75% of the time.

So, the Pats DBs are going to have to be on their game, but Boldin and Smith sport catch rates of under 55%. Even Dickson only catches at about a 60% rate (fairly poor by league avgs for a TE). Pitta, though, has a catch rate over 70% and his targets are typically not much further downfield than Rice's. Along with Rice's catch rate and running, clearly the pressure is going to be on the front seven as much as (if not more than) on the deeper secondary.

Maine Man, they said a few minutes ago on NFLN that the Ravens plan to use Rice possibly more as a pass catcher than even a ballcarrier. We'll see if that's accurate or subterfuge.

Back