Can Someone Explain This to Me?

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
I know players restructure contracts. I understand that a lot of players ask for renegotiations of a contract if they have maybe a year left. And I understand that some players will hold themselves out of camp, but usually it's if they have a year left and are looking for an extension. But this one gets me.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress is refusing to practice because the Super Bowl champions haven't renegotiated his contract.

Burress reported to Giants Stadium for a mandatory minicamp Wednesday, but said he told the coaching staff he won't workout without a new deal.

The wide receiver says he has three years left on his current deal.

Burress, who battled through an injury-hampered season last year, caught the game-winning touchdown in the Giants' stunning 17-14 victory over the previously unbeaten New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

He has three years left on his contract. He signed the damn thing knowing how long he was gonna play for. I don't get how he can demand a new contract. And will the Giants give in to him? I guess in the football world a contract doesn't really mean the same thing as in the real world.

Any insight?

I would be fine with that if the Owners could restructure players contracts for less money when they under perform~

I was pissed when Branch did it this is just ridiculous

I would be fine with that if the Owners could restructure players contracts for less money when they under perform~

Yeah the players union would sure go along with that.

...ah, and so the season of discontent for the midgets begins...ROFL!

Exactly!!!!!!!

I will have no problems whatsoever with a player asking for more money when they have a season or two better than was expected, as soon as the first player who doesn't live up to his expectations offers to give back a portion of his contract. Until then..... SHUT THE F*CK UP and deal with the contract you agreed to and signed until it's up or it's extended or get a new deal by the team.

I know players restructure contracts. I understand that a lot of players ask for renegotiations of a contract if they have maybe a year left. And I understand that some players will hold themselves out of camp, but usually it's if they have a year left and are looking for an extension. But this one gets me.

He has three years left on his contract. He signed the damn thing knowing how long he was gonna play for. I don't get how he can demand a new contract. And will the Giants give in to him? I guess in the football world a contract doesn't really mean the same thing as in the real world.

Any insight?

Football is different than most sports in that, a career ending injury could happen on any given play. Also, teams can terminate contracts whenever they want, only having to basically pay the signing bonus money even if there are multiple years left on the contract. Players need to strike it rich whenever they feel they can. That why I never blamed Asante for leaving - I just wish we paid him.

Football is different than most sports in that, a career ending injury could happen on any given play. Also, teams can terminate contracts whenever they want, only having to basically pay the signing bonus money even if there are multiple years left on the contract. Players need to strike it rich whenever they feel they can. That why I never blamed Asante for leaving - I just wish we paid him.

I agree but maybe they should only sign 1 year deals..

they can cut players whenever they want to...

I agree but maybe they should only sign 1 year deals..

Or do a combination, have an arbitrator(dont ask how the hell it would work) go over it with each player.

Point is I can tear my acl walking to use the bathroom. I dont think my company will give me a raise knowing that it could happen. The majority of these guys got free rides throughout college so they should have something to fall back on.

They cant/should not be allowed to do business like this, if I was an owner it would be a major major point I would be arguing in the CBA.

Or do a combination, have an arbitrator(dont ask how the hell it would work) go over it with each player.

Point is I can tear my acl walking to use the bathroom. I dont think my company will give me a raise knowing that it could happen. The majority of these guys got free rides throughout college so they should have something to fall back on.

They cant/should not be allowed to do business like this, if I was an owner it would be a major major point I would be arguing in the CBA.

there is a difference between falling down on the way to the bathroom and being run over by a 255lb wrecking ball of a human 35 times on sunday and hundreds of other times in practice...

there is a difference between falling down on the way to the bathroom and being run over by a 255lb wrecking ball of a human 35 times on sunday and hundreds of other times in practice...

also a reason why they are being compensated at a league mininum of what is it now 500K+ or 12.5 years of my current salary. I am fighting back the tears for them as I type this.

also a reason why they are being compensated at a league mininum of what is it now 500K+ or 12.5 years of my current salary. I am fighting back the tears for them as I type this.

Ever see what Earl Campbell looks like now? They DESERVE evey penny they can get. Also, I dont see anyone collecting cans for the poor owners, they are doing just fine.

Ever see what Earl Campbell looks like now? They DESERVE evey penny they can get. Also, I dont see anyone collecting cans for the poor owners, they are doing just fine.

Whoa whoa whoa. We are talking about todays athletes. The older athletes are getting raped, there is no argument from me. I saw how f'ed up Mike Webster was. The league turned their back on them. I dont see how you can compare Campbell with Plexico "I already have made atleast 20million in my career" Burress to Earl. I may be reaching here, but Plex probably made more money last year than Earl did in his career.

Whoa whoa whoa. We are talking about todays athletes. The older athletes are getting raped, there is no argument from me. I saw how f'ed up Mike Webster was. The league turned their back on them. I dont see how you can compare Campbell with Plexico "I already have made atleast 20million in my career" Burress to Earl. I may be reaching here, but Plex probably made more money last year than Earl did in his career.

I see your point ... I guess I just think that when there is so much money being made and you are literally putting your health on the line to play - you should "get paid" if you can. If we were talking baseball, basketball, etc, I would agree with you - I just think football is different.

Back