Caserio to Stay Put!

Per various news outlets .
A multi year deal; haven’t seen the specifics yet.

That’s great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great news indeed!

Cheers, BostonTim

article-0-192F26E2000005DC-603_306x423.jpg

IDK. Between BB and Caserio, someone has to begin doing a better job with high draft picks. How many years in a row has our draft class not added enough to game day? Too many for my liking.

IDK. Between BB and Caserio, someone has to begin doing a better job with high draft picks. How many years in a row has our draft class not added enough to game day? Too many for my liking.

Exactly. The only good thing about missing on every 1st round pick of the past ten years is that the team doesn’t have to pay out a bloated overpaid second contract.
I’d call a first round pick good if they are worthy of a second contract. By that standard Hightower is the only good first round pick of the past ten years, and that was 8 years ago.
Maybe Harry becomes a decent second option one day, (I doubt it) but this offense needed a playmaker THIS season.
The second rounder for Sanu is really going to hamstring this years draft.

Does Caserio mostly do evaluations? How much is he actually involved in pulling the trigger on these decisions?

Brady’s play has covered up a decade of failed personal decisions, Yet he is not signed and this guy is..........

Exactly. The only good thing about missing on every 1st round pick of the past ten years is that the team doesn’t have to pay out a bloated overpaid second contract.
I’d call a first round pick good if they are worthy of a second contract. By that standard Hightower is the only good first round pick of the past ten years, and that was 8 years ago.
Maybe Harry becomes a decent second option one day, (I doubt it) but this offense needed a playmaker THIS season.

Does Caserio mostly do evaluations? How much is he actually involved in pulling the trigger on these decisions?

Brady’s play has covered up a decade of failed personal decisions, Yet he is not signed and this guy is..........

He's the Head of Player Personnel. As such, he's responsible for the scouting department for all players, both pro and college. I don't have any way to know if there's a scouting issue (garbage in-garbage out) or if it's their decisions on whom to bring in which goes awry.

Note to BB and Caserio: no more gambles on players with a long injury history. No more 2nd round gambles at all. There's nothing wrong with speed at the skill positions on O and D. Learn from past mistakes.

Kinda WTFish that BB visited Deebo last year...and was reportedly VERY interested in drafting him...and, Harry instead gets picked. :coffee:

Even if Deebo shot his wad via social media, BB should have still drafted him.

I’m always on board with keeping talent in the organization.

But the pessimist in me cannot keep its head down.

If we take a good look at the tea leaves, on the surface, everything looks great. Coach is here. De facto GM. OC. DC. Perfect.

But.....

It’s well known Bill has his sights on passing Don Shitpants. That’s a 3-4 years. Minimum. The GM and OC have been pretty up front about wanting their own thing for a while now.

What if this is Kraft? Insulating himself. In case TB is pressuring him to stay and Bill wants to move on. Bill walks. Everything is in place for a front end transition.

I hope it doesn’t happen...

But I’ve seen a resignation on a cocktail napkin.

Kinda WTFish that BB visited Deebo last year...and was reportedly VERY interested in drafting him...and, Harry instead gets picked. :coffee:

Even if Deebo shot his wad via social media, BB should have still drafted him.

Yep. I liked Deebo an awful lot for the Pats last year. I had him penciled in to take over for Edelman in a year but I thought he could take over for Hogan pretty quickly.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I’m always on board with keeping talent in the organization.

But the pessimist in me cannot keep its head down.

If we take a good look at the tea leaves, on the surface, everything looks great. Coach is here. De facto GM. OC. DC. Perfect.

But.....

It’s well known Bill has his sights on passing Don Shitpants. That’s a 3-4 years. Minimum. The GM and OC have been pretty up front about wanting their own thing for a while now.

What if this is Kraft? Insulating himself. In case TB is pressuring him to stay and Bill wants to move on. Bill walks. Everything is in place for a front end transition.

I hope it doesn’t happen...

But I’ve seen a resignation on a cocktail napkin.

It's crossed my mind. Kraft isn't nearly so short-sighted as that in my mind. 1-2 years of Brady over 4-5 years of BB with smooth transitioning into whoever is next? Kraft isn't impish.

Yep. I liked Deebo an awful lot for the Pats last year. I had him penciled in to take over for Edelman in a year but I thought he could take over for Hogan pretty quickly.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

It's crossed my mind. Kraft isn't nearly so short-sighted as that in my mind. 1-2 years of Brady over 4-5 years of BB with smooth transitioning into whoever is next? Kraft isn't impish.

You’re making the point of it being Krafts decision. I’m looking at it as Bill potentially slamming the table and storming off to the Giants.

You’re making the point of it being Krafts decision. I’m looking at it as Bill potentially slamming the table and storming off to the Giants.

I don't think Kraft will interfere with BB's decision.

:spock:

2010: Devin McCourty
2011: Nate Solder
2012: Chandler Jones, D'onta Hightower
2013: No pick (traded to Minnesota)
2016: No pick (lost due to Deflategate)
2017: No pick (traded to the Saints)
2018: Isaiah Wynn, Sony Michel
2019: Harry

McCourty already got a second contract and has been a key player in the secondary his whole career.

Solder played very well while here and the NYG tossed stupid money at him, so he was clearly thought to be good enough for that contract, simply that BB wasn't going to match it.

Chandler Jones was traded because BB didn't think he would match what he'd get in FA, and he did get his second contract. Also he was voted second as DPOY in 2019, I'd say that make him pretty good.

What did we get for the 2013 trade?

#52, Jamie Collins
#83, Logan Ryan
#91, Duron Harmon

All three got their second contracts, and all three have contributed significantly here and on other teams (Collins, Ryan)

The 2017 trade got them Brandon Cooks. They kept him for one year, where he produced quite well and then traded him for the pick that became Wynn.

Wynn has had injury issues but still has contributed when there. It's too soon to say if he's a bust, a star, or something in between.

The job Michel did in the playoffs as a rookie is a major reason we won our 6th SB trophy. This year's performance isn't necessarily his fault due to the injuries at FB and OL and virtually no TE's. Let's see how he does next year when hopefully those issues will be addressed.

So that's 7 out of 10 years where either a 1st round pick was pretty damn good, we traded it and got good value in return, or the NFL took it away for bullshit reasons.

One year is too early to tell (Harry)

Only two years can be said to be complete "misses" Dominique Easley in 2014 and Malcolm Brown in 2015.

So how the frack can you say we "missed out on every 1st round pick" over the last 10 years?

I was going to say this, but I'm glad you did instead.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I'm not so sure, it is really down to that. I think if BB wanted rid of Brady so bad, he would have been gone by now, and from what I have seen it probably would not have been a good decision. I have to assume that everyone is working together, and there is not this standoff with Brady and Belichick at the front door being the first to want to leave. I have seen zero indication of that.

I don't think Kraft will interfere with BB's decision.

Krafty can’t handle negative press.

Toms camp leaks that he wants back by approaching 2nd dad Bob but mean Bill says no and the public pressure will mount on him. I have my doubts he can handle it well.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I was going to say this, but I'm glad you did instead.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I'm not so sure, it is really down to that. I think if BB wanted rid of Brady so bad, he would have been gone by now, and from what I have seen it probably would not have been a good decision. I have to assume that everyone is working together, and there is not this standoff with Brady and Belichick at the front door being the first to want to leave. I have seen zero indication of that.

Really? Well Bill & Co have this valuable exclusive negotiating window and they haven’t had contact yet. That’s certainly a sign. Top level FAs are sought. Courted.

:spock:

2010: Devin McCourty
2011: Nate Solder
2012: Chandler Jones, D'onta Hightower
2013: No pick (traded to Minnesota)
2016: No pick (lost due to Deflategate)
2017: No pick (traded to the Saints)
2018: Isaiah Wynn, Sony Michel
2019: Harry

McCourty already got a second contract and has been a key player in the secondary his whole career.

Solder played very well while here and the NYG tossed stupid money at him, so he was clearly thought to be good enough for that contract, simply that BB wasn't going to match it.

Chandler Jones was traded because BB didn't think he would match what he'd get in FA, and he did get his second contract. Also he was voted second as DPOY in 2019, I'd say that make him pretty good.

What did we get for the 2013 trade?

#52, Jamie Collins
#83, Logan Ryan
#91, Duron Harmon

All three got their second contracts, and all three have contributed significantly here and on other teams (Collins, Ryan)

The 2017 trade got them Brandon Cooks. They kept him for one year, where he produced quite well and then traded him for the pick that became Wynn.

Wynn has had injury issues but still has contributed when there. It's too soon to say if he's a bust, a star, or something in between.

The job Michel did in the playoffs as a rookie is a major reason we won our 6th SB trophy. This year's performance isn't necessarily his fault due to the injuries at FB and OL and virtually no TE's. Let's see how he does next year when hopefully those issues will be addressed.

So that's 7 out of 10 years where either a 1st round pick was pretty damn good, we traded it and got good value in return, or the NFL took it away for bullshit reasons.

One year is too early to tell (Harry)

Only two years can be said to be complete "misses" Dominique Easley in 2014 and Malcolm Brown in 2015.

So how the frack can you say we "missed out on every 1st round pick" over the last 10 years?

I’d say you’ve proved my point. Solder has proved he isn’t worth starting money, Sony ran great when he had a line opening up truck sized holes, but can’t get a thing on his own, chandler jones was smoking spice and wandered into a police station. The night before a playoff game. I’m pretty sure that’s why he’s gone. The line improved when Wynn came back, but to say he’s gonna be a steady LT for the next five years is a major stretch. I’m all for trading down. Always. But those guys weren’t first round picks. Looking back, I don’t see many standout starters that have been had in the first. Actually I don’t see any other than McCourty and he was a decade ago. Teams can’t be this bad in the draft for this long without things catching up. Brady covered things for a long time. Gilmore was a great free agent signing, but bad draft class after bad draft class will catch up to a team. These guys aren’t getting redshirted. They just can’t make it on the field.

I’d say you’ve proved my point. Solder has proved he isn’t worth starting money, Sony ran great when he had a line opening up truck sized holes, but can’t get a thing on his own, chandler jones was smoking spice and wandered into a police station. The night before a playoff game. I’m pretty sure that’s why he’s gone. The line improved when Wynn came back, but to say he’s gonna be a steady LT for the next five years is a major stretch. I’m all for trading down. Always. But those guys weren’t first round picks. Looking back, I don’t see many standout starters that have been had in the first. Actually I don’t see any other than McCourty and he was a decade ago. Teams can’t be this bad in the draft for this long without things catching up. Brady covered things for a long time. Gilmore was a great free agent signing, but bad draft class after bad draft class will catch up to a team. These guys aren’t getting redshirted. They just can’t make it on the field.
This is a bit lame. They all made it on the field except Easley.

You say Jones wasn't a good pick?????? He layed outstanding for his time here, was traded for a what? second round pick, and was DPOY? How is a DPOY a bust???????

Saying they blew their 2013 pick because they only got Jamie Collins and Logan Ryan with it?????

Goodell and Wells approve your logic.

This is a bit lame. They all made it on the field except Easley.

You say Jones wasn't a good pick?????? He layed outstanding for his time here, was traded for a what? second round pick, and was DPOY? How is a DPOY a bust???????

Saying they blew their 2013 pick because they only got Jamie Collins and Logan Ryan with it?????

Goodell and Wells approve your logic.

I’m saying that jones was smoking spice the day before a playoff game and was hallucinating so badly he turned himself into a police station then got traded. Thus he’s not on the roster contributing like Hightower still is.
Yeah not every pick has been a bust. I’m not saying that. I’m saying that generally it’s been underwhelming under achieving draft class after another for ten years. There’s a reason only three guys from the team made the pro bowl.
And yes there are a ton of guys who don’t or barely make it on the field. This season it was Harris and Harry. Last year it was duke Dawson they took him in the second. Jeez let’s look at all the failed second round picks of the last decade. The blown picks on safeties corners and WRs.
From the 17 draft rivers has missed two of three seasons, and Garcia is playing for the jets. Those were the top two picks in the third.
The year before 2016 the only guys who stuck were Thuney and Karras. Decent players, thuney has been good, but no they alone don’t make a good draft class.
2015 - malcome brown isn’t here, Richards was another wasted second round pick, Grissom wasn’t anything. Flowers was a good pick, ok we found one.
2014- Easley, bust, Jimmy G wasted second round pick, and in my opinion a good game manager who is prone to injury. White was a great pick. But hardly a great draft class.
Jamie Collins flashes but he’s hardly consistent. The past drafts have produced very few conerstones for the team to build around.
It goes on and on and on.......... if Brady leaves and Belichick and whoever else is making decisions has another five years of drafting like this then the patriots are going to be bottom feeders in the AFC east.

I’m saying that jones was smoking spice the day before a playoff game and was hallucinating so badly he turned himself into a police station then got traded. Thus he’s not on the roster contributing like Hightower still is.
Yeah not every pick has been a bust. I’m not saying that. I’m saying that generally it’s been underwhelming under achieving draft class after another for ten years. There’s a reason only three guys from the team made the pro bowl.
And yes there are a ton of guys who don’t or barely make it on the field. This season it was Harris and Harry. Last year it was duke Dawson they took him in the second. Jeez let’s look at all the failed second round picks of the last decade. The blown picks on safeties corners and WRs.
From the 17 draft rivers has missed two of three seasons, and Garcia is playing for the jets. Those were the top two picks in the third.
The year before 2016 the only guys who stuck were Thuney and Karras. Decent players, thuney has been good, but no they alone don’t make a good draft class.
2015 - malcome brown isn’t here, Richards was another wasted second round pick, Grissom wasn’t anything. Flowers was a good pick, ok we found one.
2014- Easley, bust, Jimmy G wasted second round pick, and in my opinion a good game manager who is prone to injury. White was a great pick. But hardly a great draft class.
Jamie Collins flashes but he’s hardly consistent. The past drafts have produced very few conerstones for the team to build around.
It goes on and on and on.......... if Brady leaves and Belichick and whoever else is making decisions has another five years of drafting like this then the patriots are going to be bottom feeders in the AFC east.

Read an article during the season that the Pats are near the top in the league in homegrown players.

If this is the case, your arguments don't pass muster.

The fact that you think Belichick is a problem for this organization almost invalidates and other opinions you have on this team.

Back