Colts-Texans: One PI call per game?

Can of worms.

There are calls that are black and white (was the guy out of bounds or not?) and then there are "gray area" calls like PI. If you allow review of PI calls, you have to also make it OK to review holding calls, personal foul calls, etc-etc. Plus the NFL doesn't want to take any power or legitimacy away from their officiating crews or put them in those situations.

No way in hell is a PI a gray area. Nor is personal foul. Holding, yes. If the holding has nothing to do with the play, let it go man.

And your last sentence sounds pretty spot on.

Can of worms.

There are calls that are black and white (was the guy out of bounds or not?) and then there are "gray area" calls like PI. If you allow review of PI calls, you have to also make it OK to review holding calls, personal foul calls, etc-etc. Plus the NFL doesn't want to take any power or legitimacy away from their officiating crews or put them in those situations.

The thing they need to do, is make it a 15 yard penalty. The fact that you can rip a guys helmet off and beat him with it is a smaller foul than two players hand fighting on an overthrown ball, is very telling.

Problem with making PI into a static yard penalty is that you're going to see blatant abuse from defenders who are beat.

If they know they are beat and can't prevent a TD, they'll take the PI call for a 15 yarder instead of the TD. Moss would likely never see another 30+ yard TD.

Please someone inform me.

One of the most crucial calls in a game is defensive PI. Why can't it be reviewed?!!!!!!!

It wouldn't matter even if it was reviewable. Who wants to bet that Baghdad Perriera says was a good call?

That's funny since your idol has his own rule named after him.

Thats funny, I have an adobe copy of the rule book and bradys name is nowhere in there.

and I thought the Colts were going to win at the half when they were losing by 13 points

Problem with making PI into a static yard penalty is that you're going to see blatant abuse from defenders who are beat.

If they know they are beat and can't prevent a TD, they'll take the PI call for a 15 yarder instead of the TD. Moss would likely never see another 30+ yard TD.

Than have it both, if its blatant than call it the big one, if its the player is slightly touching him or its not blatant, than its 15. Its just too much to give a team 50 yards on what may or may not be a foul, because they are horribly inconsistant on it.

The thing they need to do, is make it a 15 yard penalty. The fact that you can rip a guys helmet off and beat him with it is a smaller foul than two players hand fighting on an overthrown ball, is very telling.
see below

Pretty much what offensive PI's are, you know?

No way in hell is a PI a gray area. Nor is personal foul. Holding, yes. If the holding has nothing to do with the play, let it go man.

And your last sentence sounds pretty spot on.

Well, it seems like it should be black and white, but it's not as easy as that. You may see contact, but some contact is legal, and how much did that contact impede the receiver? There are just a lot of variables.

I agree with what you're saying in spirit, but I don't think there's a practical way to introduce replay on penalties. Plus the NFL is huge on keeping games moving along. Maybe I'm wrong... who knows? I never thought the continuation of play on a fumble thing would ever come about, but lo and behold, we're living it...

Doesn't college ball play that way with the PI's? 15 yard penalties?

PI's make me ****ing crazy.

see below

Pretty much what offensive PI's are, you know?

Its just too game changing, hell if you need a quick score, just throw it long and have your receiver body up the defender.

That's funny since your idol has his own rule named after him.

Really. You want to point out in what page of the rulebook is this rule that is specifically called by this players name? Pics of said page with the rule highligthted would be nice. How about just telling us exactly what this rule, named after a player, says?

Well, it seems like it should be black and white, but it's not as easy as that. You may see contact, but some contact is legal, and how much did that contact impede the receiver? There are just a lot of variables.

I agree with what you're saying in spirit, but I don't think there's a practical way to introduce replay on penalties. Plus the NFL is huge on keeping games moving along. Maybe I'm wrong... who knows? I never thought the continuation of play on a fumble thing would ever come about, but lo and behold, we're living it...

Well damnit, put it in super slow-mo, then. :shrug:

I think the spot foul system is right...

... if called correctly.

This wouldn't be a problem if the Houston defender had done anything to Garcon besides run alongside him step for step.

LOL, I know I know... and like I said, part of me agrees with you and would love to see all plays review-able.

I just cannot understand why a paid ref cannot see what the entire world see's. These guys are like those wrestling refs that turn their back when the hero is getting hit with the chair only to turn around when the chair is gone and the guy is getting pinned.

Back