Comic Book Movie Trailer Thread

anderson

Awfully Cavalier
Reaction score
Since there's a lot of interest in comic book movies and we've recently seen new Avengers trailers, etc. I thought it would make sense to have a thread dedicated to new stuff.

Here's another trailer that I assume people will want to watch:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xe1LrMqURuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DC better hope that this movie hits it out of the park because if it doesn't it could set them back ten years and they really can't afford that because they're at least that far behind Marvel in their cinematic universe already. Everything is riding on this one for them.

I'm hopeful, but not confident.

Ben-friggin-Affleck. Dude is already hated by Marvel fans. If he ruins Batman comic fans everywhere will be calling for a Blood Eagle.

I hope they pull off a good movie though because good competition with marvel benefits all comic fans.

The Director for Wonder Woman has backed out due to creative differences and that's a big blow to their slate of upcoming movies. I think ultimately they want to do a Justice League movie.

The Flash and Arrow (the Green Arrow) are surprisingly good on the CW but after seeing what Netflix has done with Daredevil... They could be great.

Ben Affleck seems to have figured his shit out in recent years. He was superb in The Town, Argo and Gone Girl. Seems to be better at picking decent scripts, unlike the Ben Affleck of the early 2000s who gave us dumpster fires like Gigli, Paycheck, Daredevil, etc.

Not sure how this movie will do, but I'm pretty confident if it fails it won't be his fault.

DC better hope that this movie hits it out of the park because if it doesn't it could set them back ten years and they really can't afford that because they're at least that far behind Marvel in their cinematic universe already. Everything is riding on this one for them.

I'm hopeful, but not confident.

Ugh. **** that movie. Such a bad idea

So just to sum up the insanity we're going to pit Superman, who in the last movie was thrown through multiple skyscrapers, causing the deaths of millions of civilians, without even messing up his hair, against Batman who in his last movie broke his back after falling maybe 3 feet onto a guy's knee.

Oh, and Batman will be played by Ben Afflack. What could go wrong?

I'd also like to point out that were mixing two characters whose worlds have very different rules.

In Batman's world, there are no immortal space aliens who can fly, shoot lasers out of their eyes and pick up skyscrapers with their bare hands. That's why Batman works in his world, because super powers don't exist.

So just to sum up the insanity we're going to pit Superman, who in the last movie was thrown through multiple skyscrapers, causing the deaths of millions of civilians, without even messing up his hair, against Batman who in his last movie broke his back after falling maybe 3 feet onto a guy's knee.

Oh, and Batman will be played by Ben Afflack. What could go wrong?

You have apparently never read the most successful graphic novel of ALL TIMEZ (Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns) if you don't know how that matchup can be even remotely competitive. I think this is the vibe they are going for (but lord knows, because it's DC and their track record in films mostly sucks).

But yeah, I am with you in the 'what could go wrong' territory.

I have not. Does it explain how Batman (a mortal) is going to take down Superman (an all powerful demigod)?

I mean seriously. In his last movie, Superman is thrown through entire buildings and is completely unscathed. Like, thrown through high rise skyscrapers with enough force that the impact between Superman and building caused the entire ****ing building to collapse. Millions of innocent civilians are dying all around him. His hair doesn't even appear out of place.

Why is he fighting Batman? Batman fights homicidal maniacs. Not extra terrestrial immortals.

Oh spoiler alert, I bet he uses Kryptonite. **** this movie.

I have not. Does it explain how Batman (a mortal) is going to take down Superman (an all powerful demigod)?

I mean seriously. In his last movie, Superman is thrown through entire buildings and is completely unscathed. Like, thrown thrown high rise skyscrapers with enough force that the impact between Superman and building caused the entire ****ing building to collapse. Millions of innocent civilians are dying all around him. His hair doesn't even appear out of place.

Why is he fighting Batman? Batman fights homicidal maniacs. Not extra terrestrial immortals.

Oh spoiler alert, I bet he uses Kryptonite. **** this movie.

Yep, it explains everything and a few things that you didn't ask. It's an awesome read, actually.

Additionally, Batman and Superman DO exist in the same world in the comics and have teamed up/battled hundreds of times over the years.

If your biggest problem with a movie that is about a man from another planet with super powers battling a human to a standstill that it is not 'realistic' then you have more problems than your bong can solve :high:

But again, I'm not disagreeing with you in principle. This movie has every opportunity to suck, starting with Ben Affleck.

If your biggest problem with a movie that is about a man from another planet with super powers battling a human to a standstill that it is not 'realistic' then you have more problems than your bong can solve :high:

But again, I'm not disagreeing with you in principle. This movie has every opportunity to suck, starting with Ben Affleck.
My issue isn't that it's not "realistic." It's that it doesn't match up. I'd have the same reaction if Superman was fighting Harry Potter. Except Potter might have a realistic chance of killing Superman, if he's willing to use the Avada Kadavra curse of course.

My issue isn't that it's not "realistic." It's that it doesn't match up. I'd have the same reaction if Superman was fighting Harry Potter. Except Potter might have a realistic chance of killing Superman, if he's willing to use the Avada Kadavra curse of course.

Again, read The Dark Knight Returns. It will answer all of your questions in a satisfactory manner and provide a possible explanation for why they are fighting in the first place. Plus, it's a kick ass piece of art in its entirety.

Of course this story may be different, but it is one possible explanation.

I honestly feel like this movie blows, it won't be because of Affleck (exclusively).

I'd also like to point out that were mixing two characters whose worlds have very different rules.

In Batman's world, there are no immortal space aliens who can fly, shoot lasers out of their eyes and pick up skyscrapers with their bare hands. That's why Batman works in his world, because super powers don't exist.

What the living shit are you talking about? Did you hit the cornpipe a bit early today?

Edit: I should probably put in an edit since it doesn't seem you've read the DC universe all that much, but basically Batman and Superman has fought many times in the comics over the years. There's been a number of reasons why this is (most of the time it's mind control of one party or whatever similar shit would pit them against eachother).

Also, Batman almost never wins (but has on a few occasions)

Jaric, is the obvious comparison of Batman to Lex Luthor, also a techologically driven mortal without any super powers (and even fewer combat skills than Batman), who happens to be, ironically, Superman's traditional nemesis, lost on you?

Meh to Lex Luther. Zod is a much better choice for nemesis (despite what the comics may posit) because he's actually on a level playing field with Superman.

On a side note, I am 100% on board for an evil Superman. I just don't think Batman is the guy to fight against him. My expectations for this movie will be something along the line of Superman 3 but without the unintentional hilarity. (I actually think Superman 3 may be one of the best comedies of all time.)

Also, no I've barely read any of the comic books. I should also confess that simply because Batman and Superman fight in the comic books doesn't make it a compelling movie to me because of the absurdity I see in the match up.

Also, Ben Afflack.

Meh to Lex Luther. Zod is a much better choice for nemesis (despite what the comics may posit) because he's actually on a level playing field with Superman.

On a side note, I am 100% on board for an evil Superman. I just don't think Batman is the guy to fight against him. My expectations for this movie will be something along the line of Superman 3 but without the unintentional hilarity. (I actually think Superman 3 may be one of the best comedies of all time.)

I still put "The Day After Tomorrow" at the all time #1 unintended comedy.

I still put "The Day After Tomorrow" at the all time #1 unintended comedy.

I don't know. When Richard Pryor skied off that 45 story building and landed on the street unharmed I laughed for a good 15 minutes.

Then there's the scene where Superman gets a blowjob on the Statue of Liberty which is a defining moment is US cinema.

Then of course, we have the "evil sister turns into a robot" scene.

I don't know. When Richard Pryor skied off that 45 story building and landed on the street unharmed I laughed for a good 15 minutes.

Then there's the scene where Superman gets a blowjob on the Statue of Liberty which is a defining moment is US cinema.

Then of course, we have the "evil sister turns into a robot" scene.

Really?

Then how about these gems.

The helicopters crash because their fuel froze. They sit on the ground for a bit with the crew fine. As soon as they open the door, they instantly freeze solid. Yeah, those single skin aluminum helicopter doors are sooooooo insulated.

Their driving in a blizzard, when they smash into a snow drift. They turn on all the lights on the light bar, and low and behold, now they can see what they hit. Gee, too bad they didn't think of turning them on before.

You’re stuck in a library having to maintain a fire in the fireplace to keep from freezing to death. Do you pull wooden shelves down? Do you break up those big wooden tables in the reading room? No, you burn books. :doh:

The whole twisters in LA bit. Yup, the weatherman was having teh sexs in the office so they have to die like anyone else having sex in a teenage slasher movie. meanwhile the janitor in the hallway doesn't realize the side of the building has been sheared off until he sees light shining under the door.

Oh, three separate buoys, separated by thousands of miles all show the exact same temperature drop, meanwhile, none of the other buoys in between show any change.

The ocean inundating NYC from a storm surge, and then not receding when the storm abates.

The Russian freighter pulling a Willie Mosconi trick shot to sail right up the street, missing everything, to run a ground on the bus right in front of the elevator. :spock:

The wolves not drowning or freezing to death.

The "explanation" for the super cold air being that it was pulled down so fast from the stratosphere that it didn't have any time to warm up. OK, well as all Patriots fans are now aware, there is a relationship between pressure and temperature, so it's impossible for that air to go from the air pressure that high, to normal sea level air pressure and not heat up. Time has nothing to do with it. If they were gasping for breath, OK, then this would fly, otherwise it's a ROFL

Oh and it's even better how this cold air "chases" both the dad and the kid. This cold doesn't just spread in any old direction, no siree. It doesn't come in through any other possible pathway that our brave heroes are running along but trails behind them freezing stuff in a suitably menacing fashion, only to be stopped at the last moment by those darn doors. Apparently the doors at the NY library are just as good as doors on RAF helicopters.

Back