Do you believe in miracles....

tehrick67

Reaction score
36 Years ago. IMO the greatest moment in American sports history.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qYscemhnf88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agree on it being the single greatest moment in Sports History. American or other.

And Eruzione hasn't had to work a day in his life since.

After The Butler pick in XLIX I was waiting for Michaels to reprise it... "Do you believe in miracles....?"

It might have made me like him again, just a little, for just a moment. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

After The Butler pick in XLIX I was waiting for Michaels to reprise it... "Do you believe in miracles....?"

It might have made me like him again, just a little, for just a moment. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

he didnt have hours to come up with the line this time...

how many here watched it live on tv...raises hand, the local cable company carried french tv out of Quebec and they had it on live

how many here watched it live on tv...raises hand, the local cable company carried french tv out of Quebec and they had it on live

You're one of the lucky ones.

I knew the game was going to be on in prime time, but I had no idea it was actually being played in the late afternoon. I was at work in a pharmacy when the store radio announced the US had beaten the Soviets. I was convinced I had not heard it correctly since I didn't know the game had been played. Of course, years before the internet and social media, word spread very, very slowly. It wasn't until I got home and realized the game was on tape delay that I believed what I had heard.

Of course, contrary to what many believe, the USA did not win the gold medal that day. They had to beat the Finns 2 days later and if they lost, there was a good chance they wouldn't get a medal at all (the format was different back then).

I was thinking this was going to be a song post, but at last I wasn't alive for either the song when it was released or the game.

I was in high school coming back from a church ski trip that day. We heard the result on the radio and knew it was on TV on a delayed basis. We got back to the church and I called my mother for a ride home. She said she was watching the game and the third period was about to start (thinking it was live) and I said, "come get me I want to see the end." I told her it was on delay and that I knew the ending.

I asked if she wanted to know the result and she said yes, and I screamed into the phone "WE WON. WE WON. Come get me quick". We live a little more than a mile from the church. 28 seconds later she pulled up to the curb and I piled in as we scurried home. I got to see the third period along with everyone else watching on delay, knowing that I was watching history.

:wave:

I was a student at UCONN then.

I was playing intramural volleyball when someone came into the gym to ask us if we had heard about the game.

We all shouted NO! SHUT UP!!

As Bid said, back then it wasn't all that hard to avoid knowing what happened, compared to today.

I watched it on a crappy 12" B&W TV in a dorm room.

When they scored the goal to go ahead, the campus went nuts. The roar was so loud you could feel it more than you could hear it.

When the game was over, I swear geologists would figure there was an earthquake in Storrs.

If you weren't alive back then, the movie Miracle does a good job explaining just why it meant so much to so many people.

The 1980 economy was pretty bad.

Unemployment was north of 7% and inflation was north of 13%.

On the international front, Iran was holding the hostages and the USSR had invaded Afghanistan.

The latter made this game even more sweet than it otherwise would have been.

The 'loss' to Russia in the Olympic basketball finals in '72 made this win extra special.

The 'loss' to Russia in the Olympic basketball finals in '72 made this win extra special.

I love how the Silver medals are still in a vault somewhere over there, not to be issued.

I saw an interview with those guys recently and they were asked, what if the Olympics issued you gold medals, in essence calling those games a tie, to which the team responded, "But we didn't tie." Basically saying they don't want A Gold medal, they want THE Gold medal.

Props to them all.

:wave:

I was a student at UCONN then.

I was playing intramural volleyball when someone came into the gym to ask us if we had heard about the game.

We all shouted NO! SHUT UP!!

As Bid said, back then it wasn't all that hard to avoid knowing what happened, compared to today.

I watched it on a crappy 12" B&W TV in a dorm room.

When they scored the goal to go ahead, the campus went nuts. The roar was so loud you could feel it more than you could hear it.

When the game was over, I swear geologists would figure there was an earthquake in Storrs.

If you weren't alive back then, the movie Miracle does a good job explaining just why it meant so much to so many people.

The 1980 economy was pretty bad.

Unemployment was north of 7% and inflation was north of 13%.

On the international front, Iran was holding the hostages and the USSR had invaded Afghanistan.

The latter made this game even more sweet than it otherwise would have been.
yeah, that win started to give the USofA their Swag back

The hair on the back of my neck still stands up, every time I hear Al Michael's and Ken Dryden's voice - especially on the Eruzione goal.

Back