Doug Gabriel traded from Oakland to Pats for undisclosed draft pick

JohnAdams said:
Great get for the Pats. DG has great upside potential and should flourish as a Patsy....damnit :mad: .

Congrats
anything of note shakin over at <strike>Pro Bowl Central</strike> the Colts Organization?

trades? cuts? seppuku?

chef said:
this guy is better than i thought.
look

Doug Gabriel

Gee, I didn't know that Tony Orlando and Dawn still performed....

All I care about is that he has "good hands" at the receiver position....

Any of you Raider's fans know what he's getting paid ? If he was a 5th round pick and is still in his rookie contract I can't imagine its that much :D

I just picked him up when I ehard this.

He COULD (keyword: could) put up big numbers. Love the pickup, ecspecially for the small price we paid.

Also, I don't remmeber his exact salary, but I'm sure he's still on his rookie contract, which is below a million. Very small contract right now, btw he should be under contract for another year.

Thought for sure we'd see all those Raiders fans posting pissed-off threads aobut the FIFTH (5th) round pick! Nice score for the Pats. Deion, enjoy warming the bench for a few months.

I like doug. Had him on my fantasy team last year. He did better near the end of the seaon but i like this guy. Best off we can finally move on fom the Dion soup opera.

Some pros and cons on Gabriel:

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060903_03pats.32575af.html
Listed at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds, Gabriel becomes the biggest receiver on New England's roster. At the time he was drafted, Gabriel's scouting report listed him as a good worker in the weight room with good acceleration on deep routes and excellent jumping ability.

Among his negatives: he was not a sharp route-runner and had a tendency to fumble.

--------------------------------------------------

Also, supposedly Clayton over at ESPN has confirmed that the Pats indeed gave up a 5th-rounder in 2007 for Gabriel. If so, I can't see how this cannot be viewed as a steal.

Assuming the Patriots did not work a new deal with Gabriel, his salary is cheap for the next 2 years:

Salary History

2003 225000.00
2004 305000.00
2005 380000.00
2006 800000.00
2007 545000.00

I like this pickup. Especially when you look at what we've got.

At least now we can start two WRs who actually have NFL experience (any combination of Caldwell, Gabriel, and Troy Brown). Bam Childress shows promise as a 4th WR, and if Chad Jackson can ever get off the pussy list and on the field and run a route he might prove useful.

If Gabriel can even maintain his past production, it might be enough to push the WR unit over the hump enough to allow them to at least keep the DBs honest and create some running room for Dillon, Maroney, and Faulk (and some short passing room for the four TEs).

I wouldn't mind seeing yet another body join the club, especially if they trade Deion. I don't know who, mind you, but I'm sure there's some club out there who can be persuaded to part with a decent #2 or #3 WR for a 3rd-to-5th round draft pick, and if we get pick(s) for Deion it's still an improvement (say, a 2 and a 3 for Deion, and then we send that 3 somewhere for another WR, and we still end up with a 2 out of the deal).

Ah always nice to see the natives in Raider Nation calm and happy ROFL :arrr: ROFL

Undertaker #59 said:
This looks like a good trade purely for the fact that most Raider fans hate it ROFL.

Here is a 21 page thread on the trade.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79294

I managed to get through the first five pages of this thread and I have a few observations:

1) Some of the avatars over there are disturbing.

2) They over value their players (but I guess everyone does)

3) The Tuck references are hysterical.

4) They have some pretty cool smilies (Raider hats and pirate garb)

5) I feel like I need to take a shower after being over there.

Sounds like a great deal. They have a little bit of depth at WR, and some insurance incase Deion doesn't come back. Once again, BB and Pioli come through.

Funny Stuff! They sit there for 5 pages talking about what they should get for compensation then the news comes that it's a fifth rounder and the place goes absolutely apeshit! ROFL

It's turning into another L.A. Riot! :D

gotta finish the thread......

Alcoholic9 said:
Funny Stuff! They sit there for 5 pages talking about what they should get for compensation then the news comes that it's a fifth rounder and the place goes absolutely apeshit! ROFL

It's turning into another L.A. Riot! :D

gotta finish the thread......

Yeah, you could see it coming too, because in the first few pages they were guessing what they were going to get, and it was always "I'll be pissed if it's any less than a 2nd rounder".

ROFL

Back