Duron Esposito

Shmessy

Reaction score
Any old Bruins fan gets the reference.

I love the kid, but let's be honest, more than 50% of his INTs that he gets so much credit for are the result of great breakups by CBs. Harmon's great skill is that he's better than other Safeties around the league at doing the Esposito.

JC Jackson (as Eric Rowe did last year in Pittsburgh) truly deserves the accolades for the game sealing INT last night.

I understand the reference but Harmon had to hold on to it. I am pretty sure at least one time this year we lost a game because a linebacker couldn't hold on to it. That is why JCJ will get the PD and DH will get the int.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

There was a cartoon in the 70s with Espo sitting in front of the net in a rocking chair just swatting them in while reading the newspaper.

It was a pretty athletic pick. The ball is bouncing and it’s all happening fast. I give him a lot of credit. Having a nose for / being around the ball is something BB loves.

It was a pretty athletic pick. The ball is bouncing and it’s all happening fast. I give him a lot of credit. Having a nose for / being around the ball is something BB loves.
truth and if he caught that ball against the seahawks in the Superbowl Butler would have never got the free truck from Tommy for his INT.

Why question it? It's a team effort.

Any old Bruins fan gets the reference.

I love the kid, but let's be honest, more than 50% of his INTs that he gets so much credit for are the result of great breakups by CBs. Harmon's great skill is that he's better than other Safeties around the league at doing the Esposito.

JC Jackson (as Eric Rowe did last year in Pittsburgh) truly deserves the accolades for the game sealing INT last night.

So what?

I'm not putting down what Duron Harmon does - - I love that he has great hands. But, let's face it, JC made that play happen and many commentators are talking about the Harmon INT to seal the game - - just like last year in Pittsburgh when Rowe made an unelievable play and the ball fell into Harmon's hands.

Not a crusade - - just an observation.

Also, Esposito was doing what he was coached to do.

Stand in front of the net, let Cashman and Hodge dig for the puck in the corner, and feed it to him.

One could say something similar for Harmon.

He's the deep safety, his job is to rotate to the deep receiver and get in on the play.

That means you're going to have an opportunity to get picks on any tipped ball.

I'm not sure what the controversy is. Jackson broke up a pass in the end zone, which was great, but there was no way he was going to grab that ball after he hit it away. A pass break up doesn't seal the game. It was a good play of Jackson's part. I'm not complaining, I loved the play.

Harmon, on the other hand, made a fantastic play to hit the ball back up and the then pluck it out of the air as he was rolling over. And in doing so, he did seal the game.

Without going back and looking at the game, with all the blitzing we were doing, it is likely a DE or LB hurried Cousins and forced a bad throw. Doesn't matter. Jackson still broke up the pass and Harmon still sealed the game with the pick.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Also, Esposito was doing what he was coached to do.

Stand in front of the net, let Cashman and Hodge dig for the puck in the corner, and feed it to him.

One could say something similar for Harmon.

He's the deep safety, his job is to rotate to the deep receiver and get in on the play.

That means you're going to have an opportunity to get picks on any tipped ball.
There's an example I can think of even better than Esposito. Bob Stanley. The Vulture. How many times did he allow inherited runners to score to tie the game and then grab the win when the Sox came back?

I'm not sure what the controversy is. Jackson broke up a pass in the end zone, which was great, but there was no way he was going to grab that ball after he hit it away. A pass break up doesn't seal the game. It was a good play of Jackson's part. I'm not complaining, I loved the play.

Harmon, on the other hand, made a fantastic play to hit the ball back up and the then pluck it out of the air as he was rolling over. And in doing so, he did seal the game.

Without going back and looking at the game, with all the blitzing we were doing, it is likely a DE or LB hurried Cousins and forced a bad throw. Doesn't matter. Jackson still broke up the pass and Harmon still sealed the game with the pick.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

There's an example I can think of even better than Esposito. Bob Stanley. The Vulture. How many times did he allow inherited runners to score to tie the game and then grab the win when the Sox came back?

I like the Esposito analogy much better.

What you (correctly) point out about Stanley was his screwups padded his stats. Esposito, on the other hand was not screwing up and and benefiting his stats by negative performance. Espo was superlative at being in the right place at the right time and tipping in the fruits of others' labors. Similarly, Harmon is doing a great job of jumping on the (Cashman/Pie/Marcotte) work of the CB's who are tipping the balls to him. It IS a worthwhile talent. I'm not saying otherwise.

I'm complimenting Harmon, but putting it in perspective - - it's not like he saved the game by some great individual play. Jackson was the guy who was on the "Island" on that play.

Espo was a beast. The premise implies that anyone could park themselves in front of the net and do what he did. The reality is that a decent percentage NHL goals are scored on tip ins and not everyone can do it at will. He had to absorb a beating in those days, needed incredible hand-eye coordination and stick skills that are not obvious to the casual observer.

I'm not liking the analogy at all :shrug:

Espo was a beast. The premise implies that anyone could park themselves in front of the net and do what he did. The reality is that a decent percentage NHL goals are scored on tip ins and not everyone can do it at will. He had to absorb a beating in those days, needed incredible hand-eye coordination and stick skills that are not obvious to the casual observer.

I'm not liking the analogy at all :shrug:

Reread the post previous to yours. S-L-O-W-L-Y.

espo.jpg

This thread is making me want to dust off my Summit Series DVD set

Back