Eli Benched

I don't think he was scared or lacked confidence. Do you remember how dysfunctional the Chargers were back then with the AJ Smith and Dean Spanos soap opera?

Anyway, Rich Gannon did the same thing to the Pats, forcing a trade from the Pats who wanted him to be a DB.

Another fine QB decision by Coach Berry. :coffee:

Seriously, 30 years in retrospect, what was his thought process when it came to QB? "None of them are Johnny U so who the **** cares?"

The biggest myth you hear is that the Patriots always sucked prior to Parcells/Bledsoe.

There were a lot of very good, winning, competitive teams here over the various eras that didn't win a Super Bowl so get swept under the rug. The Rust/McPherson era seemed to be the measuring stick for all of this, but that was a relatively short stretch of ineptitude.

Lots of good players, teams and memories for those of us that were there for it. Just nothing like we're seeing lately.

Yeah, that aggravates me as much as 'all Pats fans are bandwagon-jumpers'. Really? Plenty of us were here pre-BB/TB. Just because we refused to fill the stadium on a regular basis shelling out for overpriced concessions and parking while our team suffered from managerial/ownership ineptitude makes us smart, not disloyal or bandwagoners.

The teams of the '60s weren't bad. People key in on the early '70s and that stretch of time in the late '80s/early '90s for 'The Pats always sucked.'

I think shuffling around like vagabonds from stadium-to-stadium and the circus atmosphere surrounding the team contributes to the image of losers. How many teams can say a guy goes to a Pats game with his buddy and leaves the stands to get beers. His buddy wonders what's taking so long then hears his buddy's name announced over the P.A. system for making a tackle on the kick-off! Those are stories that are gold, Jerry, gold! popcorn

The teams of the '60s weren't bad. People key in on the early '70s and that stretch of time in the late '80s/early '90s for 'The Pats always sucked.'

Nailed it. Ownership often made bad decisions and didn't have unlimited money like some other owners. That didn't mean the team was bad. They were often very good.

That would imply he had ideas to begin with, wouldn't it? I liked him saying he was confident he could put together a game plan that would have Geno being successful. Really? If he couldn't put together a game plan that would have Eli be successful, how's he going to do one for Geno...unless, maybe he seriously thinks Geno is the better QB?
I lolled.

Horrible ideas are still ideas though, so I'll stand by my post, but your point is well taken.

I think you are young.

The 76 team was hosed. The 85 team was lighting in a bottle, think the cardiac Colts from 95 with Harbagh at QB.

These were blips, the overall performance other than this was mediocre.

We were the Jets, we sucked most of the time and were good for little stretches before going back to the outhouse.

The Sullivan's were in way, way over their heads.

Agreed, (and mediocre would be kind).

Going back in history, while Fairbanks did take the Patriots from a laughing stock, to a team with hope, he never won a playoff game here. IMO, he was a great GM, and maybe the best that the Patriots ever had. However, if those teams actually were as talented as people used to say, then he was (at best) a mediocre coach.

Raymond Berry (years later) was a much better coach, but some of his player personnel decisions were "suspect", (*cough* Tony Eason *cough*). Also (during that time), Victor Kiam getting Doug Flutie to cross the picket line and play for the Pats during the strike, turned out to be a disaster.

Back