Franchising Cassel now is practically inevitable

luso2kx

Antes morrer livre que em paz sujeitos
Reaction score
Website
lusolair.blogspot.com
I mean, tag him and a team signs him, we get 2 1st round picks.

Tag him, sign him then trade him, we get a package of picks/players

Worst case, tag him and sign him and have the "burden" of having a 1-year insurance policy just in case Jesus gets injured again, or even "platoon" the QB spot.

Pats have to retain Cassel at the very least until they know if Brady is fully recovered or anywhere close to it.

So, 14 million for a back up?

nobody is going to trade 2 1st rounders for cassel

most likely scenario, team doesn't tag him

Pats have to retain Cassel at the very least until they know if Brady is fully recovered or anywhere close to it.
Plus it seems that Favre is talking retirement again. Tagging or extending Cassel keeps him away from the Jesters' grubby paws(or make them pay a very heavy price if they did get him).

I have been saying this for months now and the :shitfan: the fan :shrug:

So, 14 million for a back up?

nobody is going to trade 2 1st rounders for cassel

most likely scenario, team doesn't tag him
With Favre talking retirement again?

The hell the Pats FO does nothing. If anything, they will want to keep him away from the Jets.

Has no one ever taught you about installing rotary, oscillating devices under the outhouse seat? :blink::shake:

You know box if you were around just a little more here it would be a much better place…:thumb::patriots!:patriots!

I think will let him walk paying 14 million for a backup is way to much. I could see the pats doing what they did with tebucky Jones after the 2001 season tag and trade. Would be the only way we would get compensation for him.

You know box if you were around just a little more here it would be a much better place…:thumb::patriots!:patriots!
I'm slowly getting a handle on the new home and living with elderly parents where you need to be sensitive to how you guide them to making good decisions without stepping on their independence - with a bit of luck I'll be able to live on the forum more often in a few more months. :arrr:

One thing is for certain, Brady getting hurt and missing the season was the best thing that possibly could have happened for both Matt Cassel and the Patriots in a weird sort of way.....

I am very happy for Matt now. He'll have many teams willing to trade for him now or sign him when/if he is available.......:coffee:

I think it was inevitable that the Pats are gonna tag MC as of about 4 weeks ago. Can't let him just walk away and get nothing much.

Franchise him, trade him and get some value.

I will miss him but hey, we have one of the best ever coming back next year.

One thing is for certain, Brady getting hurt and missing the season was the best thing that possibly could have happened for both Matt Cassel and the Patriots in a weird sort of way.....

I am very happy for Matt now. He'll have many teams willing to trade for him now or sign him when/if he is available.......:coffee:

How in any way was TFB being out for the season in one of the prime years of his career a good thing for the Pats in any way? Character and moral victories SUCK.

How in any way was TFB being out for the season in one of the prime years of his career a good thing for the Pats in any way? Character and moral victories SUCK.

agreed.

It's cool seeing Matt do well and to have exciting games sometimes...but I love Tom Brady and still wish he would have never gotten hurt.

S hit I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this. Losing Brady good .....Geee....

I don't think the Patriots are going to franchise Cassel. I'm not going to change my opinion, which I formed the right after he threw for 400 yards two weeks in a row. Don't think they will franchise him.

I don't think they will tie up 14 million.....

Really, who cares. There's another week of football to ahead. I'd rather think about that (and pretty woman of course......) than care about whether or not the Pats will franchise Cassel.

But I have to give you credit, luso. You predicted the Cardinals would not even come Close to bringing whatever "a" game they have. You were right on target. In fact, the talking heads on postgame shows were totally ragging on the Cardinals, wondering how any team could give such little effort, and how it was an embarrasment. Good call! (although, the Pats really played good, and the snow and weather in general might have been a factor, plus the fact that it was in Foxboro, not Arizona). Good call nonetheless.

Pats would be crazy not to tag Cassel. With the dearth of QB talent in the NFL, several teams will be fighting for the chance to give us a 1st round pick for the rights to his services.

I don't get why is it so difficult for people to grasp the concept of Tag and trade.
1) You can trade a franchised player for almost anything you want. Probably even a bag of balls. Teams don't have to give up 2 first rounders to obtain him. That would be the case only if they signed him to an offer sheet and the Pats declined to match it. Nobody is going to do that. Instead teams will try and offer a second rounder for the rights to Matt Cassels franchise tag. The Pats are probably going to ask for a first.
2)You wouldn't be paying a backup 14 mill because He won't be on the Pats roster next year.
3) The 14 million will count against the cap for as long as he is a Patriot. If he is traded, the moment the trade is aproved by the league that cap number comes off the Pats salary cap and goes to the team who he gets traded to.
So please, next time we have this conversation (which I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it will be a lot in the next 2 months) lets keep the above reasons out of it because they hold no watter.

Back