Goodell Giving Up Power?

I think that would pretty much be the end of the union if they pulled a horseshit move like that. If anything, when the next CBA is negotiated I expect to see their power increase. I doubt they'll be as powerful as the MLB player's union, but I think they'll be significantly more than this weak, shell organization they currently are now. This thing with Brady has given them new life.

I have always felt DG was going to be a watershed case once it went to court with a player of Brady's caliber and integrity. It would appear that IF Roger's power is taken this year than the PA will for the first time have been able to take something huge away from the league before the CBA is up. The issue here though is the owners actually agree with the PA that Goodell handling player discipline is bad for business. Losing fed case after fed case in humiliation fashion will do that.

You know the stuff that I find really amazing when it comes to the Ginger Jackass? The whole "Goodell makes the owners money" argument. For as long as I've been watching football (40+ years now), the NFL has been the most popular professional sport in this country. Sunday afternoons were always spent around the TV watching games on both networks. MNF was on a 3rd network. ESPN handled the Sunday night games from their inception. Then, along came the NFL network. The game was everywhere, all the time. ALL of this predates Goodell's tenure as commissioner. Are people REALLY that stupid that they either don't know this or have forgotten it?

Goodell's presence adds NOTHING to the popularity equation. If anything, it actually detracts from it.

I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly.
BUT...the reason I think they say he "makes the NFL money" is that his function as the middleman taking the pie in the face allows the owners to have "plausible deniability" and not have their $$$ suffer as much via angry fans when they THROUGH HIM make idiotic quests/vendettas (like stoning BB/TB/Payton, etc in the name of "parity").

Do you think the judges have tipped their hand to the league that they will uphold Berman or kick it back to Berman? The timing of this story/deal between PA/NFL is curious as well as it being the WSJ that is reporting it.

I think the timing is self evident.

From the Hurley article.

Also of note on Monday, the NFL for the first time admitted that a link exists between playing football and the development of CTE.​

How much of a ripple did that make in the 24/7 news cycle?

I'm of the opinion that one of the reasons the NFL won't let the TFB+ issue drop is that it obfuscates the CTE and concussion issue.

This is just more of the same, IMHO.

From the Hurley article.

Also of note on Monday, the NFL for the first time admitted that a link exists between playing football and the development of CTE.​

I'm of the opinion that one of the reasons the NFL won't let the TFB+ issue drop is that it obfuscates the CTE and concussion issue.

I tend to agree but The CTE suits are a much more costly endeavor for the NFL. Do they the owners/NFL want to put all their eggs in one basket and enough of these million dollar plus investigations for petty crap, and lets fight the CTE which could end up to be mega millions? (billions)

~Dee~

From the Hurley article.

Also of note on Monday, the NFL for the first time admitted that a link exists between playing football and the development of CTE.

I would agree IF the Brady case was a positive for the league but it is not. It just as much a black eye as the CTE stuff because Berman kicked their butts and now they have spent $20 mil on this stupidest case in NFL history and the national media is calling them out every chance it gets on all its lies. I think that is why Rooney and some of the other owners are on board with settling these ongoing litigations of Brady/Peterson (especially Brady) and getting the independent arbitration board set up for this season.

Back