Goodell Giving Up Power?

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
The NFLPA and NFL have been negotiating changes to the CBA to change the commissioner's power to discipline players:

NFL, NFLPA making progress toward deal on reducing Commissioner power, maybe

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2016, 5:29 AM EDT

In September, Steelers owner Art Rooney II threw water on the notion that the Commissioner’s role in connection with meting out discipline under the Personal Conduct Policy and for conduct detrimental to the game would be limited, saying that adjustments would come not in months but years.

Six months later, some progress perhaps is being made toward an agreement. The headline from Monday night’s item written by Matthew Futterman of the Wall Street Journal declares that the two sides are “closer”to a deal “stripping” Goodell of his disciplinary power. The textmakes it less clear whether the two sides are actually any closer to a deal — and whether any deal is coming sooner than later.

“We’ve been talking about changes to the personal conduct policy since October and have traded proposals,” NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith told Futterman. “We looked at the league’s proposal for neutral arbitration. There is a common ground for us to get something done.”

Said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy to Futterman: “This is an important area that deserves to be addressed thoughtfully and with full consideration for everyone’s interests — players, clubs and fans. We are addressing the subject in a serious way and will continue to discuss this directly with the union and not in the media.”

Smith said that the players would not likely agree to extend the Collective Bargaining Agreement in exchange for a consensus on this issue. But the reality is that the NFL most likely will want something in exchange for sacrificing one of its current rights under the labor deal; that’s one of the basic elements of the collective bargaining process that flows from employees unionizing.

One possible exchange would be the NFL agreeing to defer appeals of discipline for Personal Conduct Policy violations and conduct detrimental to the game to neutral arbitration in exchange for granting the league the power to impose suspensions on players who have failed to cooperate with or affirmatively obstructed NFL investigations.

“That’s a possible deal,” Smith said on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk on the day of the 2015 regular-season opener. “We believe that every player, just like every employee, has a duty to reasonably cooperate with an investigation. If that’s something that wants to come out of the league office, and they think that’s good grounds for us to make a deal, then I’ll come back and shake your hand on live TV if we get it done.”

The final outcome may hinge on whether the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit affirms or reverses the decision to scrap the four-game suspension of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, which happened in part due to the unprecedented nature of the imposition of a suspension for failure to cooperate with an investigation. If Judge Richard Berman’s decision is upheld, then the NFL would need to secure the power to suspend players for lying to the NFL or refusing to produce cell phones or other evidence, and that could be the swap the union makes in order to secure arbitration on the last remaining areas where the Commissioner has judge/jury/executioner powers.

That’s the one point to remember as the two sides work toward a possible deal. On all other matters of player discipline — on-field infractions, violations of the substance-abuse policy, and PED use — the NFLPA already has secured neutral arbitration. The protracted litigation arising from suspensions imposed on players like Brady and Adrian Peterson shows that it’s in the NFL’s best interests to develop a procedure that allows a swift, efficient, and certain outcome.

this is going to open up a new can of worms - what is cooperating with the league and what is not.

So not turning over your phone will be a violation, no way Tom should have turned over his phone.

Player will now have two phones, a NFL League phone and a Personal use phone that will never be turned over - could the league demand Tom to turn over his personal, Giselle only phone?

Too much BS in this

trust no one

this is going to open up a new can of worms - what is cooperating with the league and what is not.

So not turning over your phone will be a violation, no way Tom should have turned over his phone.

Player will now have two phones, a NFL League phone and a Personal use phone that will never be turned over - could the league demand Tom to turn over his personal, Giselle only phone?

Too much BS in this

trust no one

I'm concerned about the lying too. First who determines who's lying. Goodell has been adamant that Brady wasn't honest and was "lying". If you don't answer the way they want and its the truth to them it's still a lie.

~Dee~

:coffee:

I read this as a proactive attempt to avoid labor issues because it is crystal-clear now (even if it wasn't when the players signed off on it) that Goodell thinks he has infinite power and that power is totally corrupt.

They'll try to change some of the language as Pertains to Roger and give equally strong power to some sort of council which won't really change the fundamental flaws in any substantive way.

Still, it is interesting that Rooney is involved. He knows there is a problem here that could become massive if it isn't modified.

I find it impossible to trust Goodell in anything.
So no I don't believe this will be anything more than another way for the NFL to dictate what the players have the right to do and say.

I read this as a proactive attempt to avoid labor issues because it is crystal-clear now (even if it wasn't when the players signed off on it) that Goodell thinks he has infinite power and that power is totally corrupt.

They'll try to change some of the language as Pertains to Roger and give equally strong power to some sort of council which won't really change the fundamental flaws in any substantive way.

Still, it is interesting that Rooney is involved. He knows there is a problem here that could become massive if it isn't modified.

I would think that the owners are tired of paying millions for Goodell screw ups. The biggest reason these cases end up in court is because of the vague CBA language. Clause 46 opens itself up to wide interpretation. If they clarify the process and penalties, less cases will be drawn out.

The only way the NFLPA is taking ANY power away from Goodell is by force. The next CBA is going to get EXTREMELY ugly. Worse than the last time, and next time Kraft might not be willing to bail Roger out.

The only way the NFLPA is taking ANY power away from Goodell is by force. The next CBA is going to get EXTREMELY ugly. Worse than the last time, and next time Kraft might not be willing to bail Roger out.

He's not going to do it on his own, but if the top owners tell Goodell to negotiate, then he will. It would be similar to changes that were renegotiated with the domestic violence issue.

I do agree that the next CBA will likely be ugly, but the NFLPA is the weakest union of all the major sports because the players typically have no back bone.

I see this as potentially great news for Brady. This may end DG once and for all and also the Peterson case as well. This isn't about Goodell but about the owners not wanting to look like idiots as federal judge after federal judge calls Goodell a nit wit.

I think we also have to believe Robert and Jonathan have been leading this charge so for those of us that believe the Pats were working behind the scenes on this, I think we have been validated. I do hope this gets done before the season starts. Sounds like it will.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

This sounds a lot like the NFL/Goodell may be willing to settle deflategate out of court to me. :shrug_n:

That is how I read it too. Let's hope so.

This sounds a lot like the NFL/Goodell may be willing to settle deflategate out of court to me. :shrug_n:

I'm thinking the NFL is pondering the notion that the itch in their underwear isn't coming from their usual sleazy activities, but the gnawing feeling that the appeal judges are either gonna rule in Brady's favor or send it back to Berman.

I'm thinking the NFL is pondering the notion that the itch in their underwear isn't coming from their usual sleazy activities, but the gnawing feeling that the appeal judges are either gonna rule in Brady's favor or send it back to Berman.

Going back to Berman would be the league's worst nightmare as he already gave them a swift kick to the groin the first time and would like nothing better than to it again. Nutkick

I see this as potentially great news for Brady. This may end DG once and for all and also the Peterson case as well. This isn't about Goodell but about the owners not wanting to look like idiots as federal judge after federal judge calls Goodell a nit wit.

I think we also have to believe Robert and Jonathan have been leading this charge so for those of us that believe the Pats were working behind the scenes on this, I think we have been validated. I do hope this gets done before the season starts. Sounds like it will.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

That is how I read it too. Let's hope so.

Nah, Kraft is probably getting ready to post a YouTube of himself crying, mascara running, saying "Leave Goodell alone. LEAVE HIM ALONE! You're lucky he even runs the NFL for you! Leave him alo-ho-hone... *sobs*"

Nah, Kraft is probably getting ready to post a YouTube of himself crying, mascara running, saying "Leave Goodell alone. LEAVE HIM ALONE! You're lucky he even runs the NFL for you! Leave him alo-ho-hone... *sobs*"

tumblr_nolqg2phZn1qjhttjo1_1280.jpg

Like the TO press conference, defending Romo...

That's my commissioner!

Back