Goodell Giving Up Power?

By Michael Hurley, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — After spending more than a year on the offensive against Tom Brady, might Roger Goodell and the NFL actually be willing to drop the charges, so to speak?

That’s apparently a very real possibility, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The WSJ’s Matthew Futterman reported that the NFL and NFLPA are closing on an agreement which would strip Goodell of his power to enforce discipline. Though such an agreement may not be something that will come together quickly, NFLPA director DeMaurice Smith told the paper that any such deal would very likely require the NFL to settle its ongoing litigation against players. That would, of course, include Tom Brady.

“I can’t imagine there is any appetite [from the players] to agree with any proposal that doesn’t wrap up all the litigation,” Smith told the WSJ. “We can either continue to litigate or reach a collectively bargained conclusion.”

The WSJ report comes roughly a month after The Washington Post’s Mark Maske reported that the NFLPA and NFL were working toward an agreement that would guarantee neutral arbitration for disciplinary appeals on issues relating to the personal conduct policy or integrity-of-the-game violations. Goodell’s serving as the “neutral” arbitrator in Brady’s appeal has been a central problem for the NFLPA for the past year.

The NFL and NFLPA were in court earlier this month, after the NFL appealed federal judge Richard Berman’s decision to vacate the four-game suspension issued by Goodell on Brady. It was just one of many high-profile losses for the commissioner, who is not an attorney and has no legal background. Penalties issued on Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson were likewise overturned in court. Goodell’s 10-game suspension to Greg Hardy was reduced by 60 percent by Goodell’s hand-picked arbitrator, Harold Henderson.

While Smith’s tenor with the reporter seemed to be positive, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy did not seem entirely thrilled to be discussing the negotiations publicly.
“We are addressing the subject in a serious way,” McCarthy told the paper, “and will continue to discuss this directly with the union and not in the media.”
Also of note on Monday, the NFL for the first time admitted that a link exists between playing football and the development of CTE. With such a larger issue being discussed in Congress, perhaps the NFL seeks to limit the dedication of resources to frivolous fights such as the one with Brady. ESPN reported several weeks ago that the NFL has spent roughly $12.5 million in its quest to take down Brady and the Patriots over footballs which have not even been illegally deflated.

The three judges tasked with fielding Brady’s appeal could take months to decide. Though it’s far from a sure thing, the NFL and NFLPA seem capable of reaching a potential settlement before that official ruling ever gets finalized in writing.

I don't trust either side. The NFLPA might offer Brady up as a sacrifice, and the NFL? Who can trust them to tell us if the sun is coming up in the morning?

I <i>do</i> hope something can be worked out. While I would love to see Tom win yet again in court, it's too iffy for my taste. If the deal can be worked out without him on the sidelines for ANY games, we could finally be done with all this nonsense.

As for Kraft not negotiating another CBA, are you kidding? He clearly chose his side and he'll do whatever the owners think is best. He will continue to support Goodell (for some reason, Kraft can't see Goodell for what he really is) and pretend to care about his fanbase.

Hollywood should make a movie about a witch hunt that uses absolutely no proof at all to railroad someone and use this mess as their template.

Forbes: Alex Reimer

Roger Goodell May Soon Lose His Two Biggest Fights

Over the last year, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has fought tirelessly to retain his disciplinary powers and downplay the connection between playing football and long-term mental health risks. But both of those dubious efforts are now being undermined.

In addition to the concussion suit, the NFL is also mired in appeal cases involving Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson. In both instances, the NFL Players’ Association is challenging the league’s assertion that the collective bargaining agreement grants Goodell unilateral disciplinary powers. A federal judge overturned Peterson’s suspension last year for allegedly abusing his child and Brady’s four-game ban for purportedly deflating footballs was vacated last fall.

But as it turns out, all of this litigation may be for naught. The Wall Street Journal reports the NFL and NFLPA are moving closer towards a deal that would strip Goodell of his disciplinary power and hand it over to neutral arbitrators. Any agreement would likely come with the precondition that the league settle its ongoing cases against Brady and Peterson.

“It’s a player decision with what they want to do, but I can’t imagine there is any appetite to agree with any proposal that doesn’t wrap up all the litigation,” NFL Players’ Association head DeMaurice Smith told the WSJ. “We can either continue to litigate or reach a collectively bargained conclusion.”

There are still several obstacles that stand in the way of a potential deal. Most importantly, if the league surrenders its ultimate disciplinary control, it will almost certainly ask for a major concession from the players. Considering the NFLPA is likely to ask for a larger share of revenue during the next round of CBA negotiations in 2020, it may want to pick its battles.
<!-- ngIf: initialized && active -->

But ultimately, Goodell answers to the owners, and momentum has been building over the last several months for him to give up his role as the judge, jury and executioner. Last August, the MMQB’s Peter King reported several owners have encouraged Goodell to look into altering the way he handles discipline. In an interview with ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike last fall, Goodell himself acknowledged there may be a need to overhaul the league’s system, calling the current configuration “extremely time-consuming.”

In an ironic twist, the courts may not ultimately undercut Goodell’s disciplinary authorities. He may opt to do it himself.

Full article here: [url]http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2016/03/15/roger-goodell-disciplinary-power-may-be-undermined/#4e67a0d549b8[/URL]

BOSTON (CBS) — After spending more than a year on the offensive against Tom Brady, might Roger Goodell and the NFL actually be willing to drop the charges, so to speak?

That’s apparently a very real possibility, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The WSJ’s Matthew Futterman reported that the NFL and NFLPA are closing on an agreement which would strip Goodell of his power to enforce discipline. Though such an agreement may not be something that will come together quickly, NFLPA director DeMaurice Smith told the paper that any such deal would very likely require the NFL to settle its ongoing litigation against players. That would, of course, include Tom Brady.

“I can’t imagine there is any appetite [from the players] to agree with any proposal that doesn’t wrap up all the litigation,” Smith told the WSJ. “We can either continue to litigate or reach a collectively bargained conclusion.”

The WSJ report comes roughly a month after The Washington Post’s Mark Maske reported that the NFLPA and NFL were working toward an agreement that would guarantee neutral arbitration for disciplinary appeals on issues relating to the personal conduct policy or integrity-of-the-game violations. Goodell’s serving as the “neutral” arbitrator in Brady’s appeal has been a central problem for the NFLPA for the past year.

The NFL and NFLPA were in court earlier this month, after the NFL appealed federal judge Richard Berman’s decision to vacate the four-game suspension issued by Goodell on Brady. It was just one of many high-profile losses for the commissioner, who is not an attorney and has no legal background. Penalties issued on Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson were likewise overturned in court. Goodell’s 10-game suspension to Greg Hardy was reduced by 60 percent by Goodell’s hand-picked arbitrator, Harold Henderson.

While Smith’s tenor with the reporter seemed to be positive, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy did not seem entirely thrilled to be discussing the negotiations publicly.
“We are addressing the subject in a serious way,” McCarthy told the paper, “and will continue to discuss this directly with the union and not in the media.”
Also of note on Monday, the NFL for the first time admitted that a link exists between playing football and the development of CTE. With such a larger issue being discussed in Congress, perhaps the NFL seeks to limit the dedication of resources to frivolous fights such as the one with Brady. ESPN reported several weeks ago that the NFL has spent roughly $12.5 million in its quest to take down Brady and the Patriots over footballs which have not even been illegally deflated.

The three judges tasked with fielding Brady’s appeal could take months to decide. Though it’s far from a sure thing, the NFL and NFLPA seem capable of reaching a potential settlement before that official ruling ever gets finalized in writing.

Could you imagine the howling and screaming from the knuckle-dragging fan bases around the league if this were to happen? I would never stop laughing.

I don't trust either side. The NFLPA might offer Brady up as a sacrifice, and the NFL? Who can trust them to tell us if the sun is coming up in the morning?

I <i>do</i> hope something can be worked out. While I would love to see Tom win yet again in court, it's too iffy for my taste. If the deal can be worked out without him on the sidelines for ANY games, we could finally be done with all this nonsense.

As for Kraft not negotiating another CBA, are you kidding? He clearly chose his side and he'll do whatever the owners think is best. He will continue to support Goodell (for some reason, Kraft can't see Goodell for what he really is) and pretend to care about his fanbase.

Hollywood should make a movie about a witch hunt that uses absolutely no proof at all to railroad someone and use this mess as their template.

I'm not clear on why folks think that the NFLPA will "sacrifice" Brady. Any settlement of litigation will likely result in the NFL dropping their appeals in both the Brady case and the Peterson case. I'm not a lawyer of any kind, but I would think that the NFLPA would be obligated to see this through as long as Brady insists on it. He's certainly not going to settle for anything less than no suspension and he certainly won't admit to any guilt.

Brady might be willing to give up 1 or 2 game checks under his new contract for not cooperating.

I'm not clear on why folks think that the NFLPA will "sacrifice" Brady. Any settlement of litigation will likely result in the NFL dropping their appeals in both the Brady case and the Peterson case. I'm not a lawyer of any kind, but I would think that the NFLPA would be obligated to see this through as long as Brady insists on it. He's certainly not going to settle for anything less than no suspension and he certainly won't admit to any guilt.

Yep. It is actually the Brady case that is spurring this forward given the high profile nature of it and the frivolous nature of the infraction.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Brady might be willing to give up 1 or 2 game checks under his new contract for not cooperating.

He has always been willing to pay fines for non-coop. He was going to do it last year when he was making $500k a check. It is not the money for Brady but the admittance of guilt. He will never admit guilt.

this^^^. There is no way that Brady is EVER going to admit guilt for something he didn't do and the NFL not only can't prove that he did but ADMITTED that they can't prove. Period.

I agree with Hurley. The initial report was all about settling deflategate and taking it a step further to set up a better way to approach these matters. Goodell may be willing to give up some power as a trade to not lose all his power from a ruling by the 3 judges for Brady.

this^^^. There is no way that Brady is EVER going to admit guilt for something he didn't do and the NFL not only can't prove that he did but ADMITTED that they can't prove. Period.

Agree completely with both of you.

You know the stuff that I find really amazing when it comes to the Ginger Jackass? The whole "Goodell makes the owners money" argument. For as long as I've been watching football (40+ years now), the NFL has been the most popular professional sport in this country. Sunday afternoons were always spent around the TV watching games on both networks. MNF was on a 3rd network. ESPN handled the Sunday night games from their inception. Then, along came the NFL network. The game was everywhere, all the time. ALL of this predates Goodell's tenure as commissioner. Are people REALLY that stupid that they either don't know this or have forgotten it?

Goodell's presence adds NOTHING to the popularity equation. If anything, it actually detracts from it.

Where is Ben Volin now???

I agree with Hurley. The initial report was all about settling deflategate and taking it a step further to set up a better way to approach these matters. Goodell may be willing to give up some power as a trade to not lose all his power from a ruling by the 3 judges for Brady.

Do you think the judges have tipped their hand to the league that they will uphold Berman or kick it back to Berman? The timing of this story/deal between PA/NFL is curious as well as it being the WSJ that is reporting it.

Do you think the judges have tipped their hand to the league that they will uphold Berman or kick it back to Berman? The timing of this story/deal between PA/NFL is curious as well as it being the WSJ that is reporting it.

Or did the league attorney pen his sorry I lied letter?

~Dee~

I have no idea if judges tip their hands like that...LISA?

Judges will almost always indicate to all parties something like: Settle, cause probably no one will be happy. In a very discreet manner. But you knew that.

But contacting the league with an actual warning...? Unprofessional if not an outright ethical violation and I would doubt it. But then again they did run a very unprofessional appeal hearing imo. So who knows.

Cheers

To be honest, nothing they do makes me feel comfortable. I fear they will accept the change in power only if the NFLPA admits Roger was good in bouncing Tommy for 4 games.

Tim is correct in his words below, (obviously Tim is the man)

Judges will almost always indicate to all parties something like: Settle, cause probably no one will be happy. In a very discreet manner. But you knew that.

But contacting the league with an actual warning...? Unprofessional if not an outright ethical violation and I would doubt it. But then again they did run a very unprofessional appeal hearing imo. So who knows.

Cheers
I agree, you know if you are going to win or lose when the suggestion of compromise or settlement comes out. The tome will tell you to run or not.

To be honest, nothing they do makes me feel comfortable. I fear they will accept the change in power only if the NFLPA admits Roger was good in bouncing Tommy for 4 games.

I don't think the NFLPA could do that. I believe they have a legal obligation to see this through, short of a settlement that Brady would accept, and they'd be open to a lawsuit from Brady if they tried to force him to accept that type of quid pro quo.

But lawyers would know better.

I don't think the NFLPA could do that. I believe they have a legal obligation to see this through, short of a settlement that Brady would accept, and they'd be open to a lawsuit from Brady if they tried to force him to accept that type of quid pro quo.

But lawyers would know better.

I think that would pretty much be the end of the union if they pulled a horseshit move like that. If anything, when the next CBA is negotiated I expect to see their power increase. I doubt they'll be as powerful as the MLB player's union, but I think they'll be significantly more than this weak, shell organization they currently are now. This thing with Brady has given them new life.

Back