Goodell sells out Belichick to Arlen Specter

PatsChamps6x

Flipping off Goodell
Reaction score
not sure if all this was posted earlier...if it was I apologize.

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer
February 13, 2008
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

"There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell," Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. "I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed."

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games," he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed" the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide," Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do," Goodell said.

Still, Specter wants to know why penalties were imposed on Belichick before the full extent of the wrongdoing was known and the tapes destroyed in a two-week span. Asked if he thinks there was a coverup, Specter demurred.

"There was an enormous amount of haste," Specter said.

He scoffed at the reasons Goodell gave for destroying the tapes and notes, particularly about trying to keep them out of competitors' hands and because Belichick had admitted to the taping.

"What's that got to do with it? There's an admission of guilt, you preserve the evidence," Specter said. As for keeping the tapes out of the hands of others: "All you have to do is lock up the tapes."

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 because of the Spygate incident. The Patriots also forfeited a first-round draft pick.

Specter has questioned the quality of the NFL's investigation into the matter and raised the possibility of congressional hearings if he wasn't satisfied with Goodell's answers. Specter also raised the threat of Congress canceling the league's antitrust exemption and reiterated that in the meeting with Goodell.

Goodell also said he has not heard from Matt Walsh, the former Patriots employee who performed some videotaping duties for the team.

Walsh told The Associated Press last week during the Pro Bowl in Hawaii that he couldn't talk about allegations that he taped a walkthrough practice by the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 Super Bowl. New England, a two-touchdown underdog, won that game 20-17.

Goodell said he has offered Walsh a deal whereby "he has to tell the truth and he has to return anything he took improperly" in return for indemnity. Specter said he, too, wanted to talk to Walsh and perhaps offer a different deal.

Goodell also said he reserves the right to reopen the investigation if more information is uncovered.

Funny...I watched a video of forked tongue Rogers PC after the meeting with Mr single bullet senator Specter and in the video Roger rabbit stated that Belichick said he understood the rule to be that video taping was allowed as long as the tapes weren't used in the present game being played and that was always his understanding of the rule. Goodell then said from that statement I assume he had video taped since becoming a HC.

He assumed. WTF?? Did he actually ask Belichick if he did or is he playing connect the dots?

"We have a right to have honest football games,"

Again WTF? Didn't the single bullet senator hear Jimmy Johnson admit to cheating some 18 yrs ago?

If were going to investigate honesty in football shouldn't we lay it all out on the table from say back 18yrs ago. I would think questions are in order as to why the league allowed this sort of thing for all that time knowing full well it was going on?

I was surprised to read that not only did Johnson admit to video taping and linking other teams and coaches to the same actions but he also states that when he went to the Dolphins he was showed how to circumvent the 15 sec cutoff (communications rule) and was told by the dolphins that they had done it forever? He also said that the league had heard about this and asked them to stop. Why no fine what the F@#$ did we never hear about any of this till now?

Here we have a HC that openly admits to cheating in the past and also implicates that the league had knowledge of the cheating but received nothing in the way of punishment?

Had the jets not leaked the video tape to fox I'll bet we'd never have heard about any of this.

I think its time for Specter to depose Jimmy Johnson if he really believes in honesty in football.

Florio's opinion (FWIW):

TIME FOR SPECTER TO CALL IT QUITS

We initially had mixed feelings about the decision of Senator Arlen Specter to suddenly stick his nose into the affairs of the NFL. On one hand, we thought that it was good that someone was asking questions that needed to be asked. On the other hand, we were skeptical of Specter's motives, and we were aware that he has close ties to Comcast, which has been caught in a quagmire with the league regarding the availability of NFL Network to those of us who would be inclined to watch it.

But we're now thinking that Specter has made his point. He has gotten his meeting with the Commissioner. Now, Specter should leave it alone. If Specter doesn't, we think he'll quickly become the target of an effort to expose the possible fact that he's merely carrying water for Comcast.

Of course, the league can hardly complain about this. By using its own connections in Congress to force the Comcasts of the world to carry NFL Network on basic cable, the NFL willingly entered the political arena. To the extent that Comcast has friends who can create problems for the NFL, such troubles go with the territory on which the NFL now treads.

Still, Specter has gone about as far as he can with this. He's not the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and the guy who is has made it clear that he isn't inclined to hold hearings on the matter.

That said, there really won't be closure on Spygate until we know what Matt Walsh knows, or what he thinks he knows. Walsh made a dramatic entry into this story two days before Super Bowl XLII, but he has since clammed up. Until his version is told, it's impossible for this story to truly end.

And while Walsh's words might not change the minds of the folks on the fringes, there is a gulf of people in the middle who can and will be swayed by more evidence about what really happened, specifically as it relates to published reports of spying prior to Super Bowl XXXVI.

In this regard, we also think it's time for the Patriots to put their own cards on the table about what did or didn't happen. To date, they've only said that the report of a pre-Super Bowl videotaped walk-through practice are false. More details would be nice, to the extent that the team wants neutral observers to accept that the Boston Herald staked its reputation (and circulation) on a controversial, inflammatory item, and lost.

At this point, we don't know what to believe. And we can't form an opinion without more facts. Although we hope that such facts ultimately will be forthcoming, we think that Arlen Specter's role in this saga should end. There's nothing that Specter can do to force further disclosure, and any additional efforts by him to attack the NFL could come off as vindictive and unseemly.

With all that said, we won't play the "Doesn't Congress have better things to do?" card. Congress is the sole federal lawmaking body for our nation, and new legislation doesn't appear out of thin air. The following that the NFL enjoys and the benefits it reaps from the antitrust exemption make its activities a matter of national concern. Besides, Congress spends plenty of time on issues far more frivolous on potential cheating in pro sports.

Specter, however, isn't Congress. He's one member of Congress who is dangerously close to being perceived as having an ax to grind. If Congress decides to take these matters up, so be it. Again, there are still questions that need to be asked. But Specter has asked all that he should.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^This is a major piece of back-peddling by Florio who has been the # 3 dog behind Easterbrook and Mike Fish howling for Patriot blood. Gotta wonder why he's suddenly changing his tune.

I hope Bob Kraft bends Goodell over and dry-humps him for leaving the organization out to dry in this matter. Kraft's done a lot for the NFL in his tenure as owner, and IMO he should tell Goodell and the league to go #@$& themselves from this point on.

cardsfanmd on 02-14-2008 at 09:38 PM said:
Why should Goodell lie for the sake of a cheating scumbag like Belicheck??????

Go $#&* a goat.

cardsfanmd on 02-14-2008 at 09:38 PM said:

Cards fan, eh? That explains a lot.....ROFL

Absolutely pathetic our congress wastes time on sports. With that said, Walsh is about loud as a dead man right now. There is no real true proof BB is a cheater, so specter can shove it.

"We have a right to honest football games"

Well we also have a right to have elected officials who actually do what they're supposed to do instead of throwing their weight around in a pissing contest between two private businesses.

Too bad Specter never found himself on the wrong end of a magic bullet.

cardsfanmd on 02-14-2008 at 08:38 PM said:

Get a clue, dorkwad. The Cardinals couldn't make the playoffs if they had the playbooks of the 31 other teams in the league. Maybe if your club's owner would spend some money on his team you wouldn't feel the need to post pathetic, stupid messages like the one above.

You wanna talk "scumbag"? Try Bidwell. :4321:

TrueBeliever on 02-14-2008 at 10:48 PM said:
Get a clue, dorkwad. The Cardinals couldn't make the playoffs if they had the playbooks of the 31 other teams in the league. Maybe if your club's owner would spend some money on his team you wouldn't feel the need to post pathetic, stupid messages like the one above.

You wanna talk "scumbag"? Try Bidwell. :4321:
"Dorkwad"??? Thats a good one. Did you think that up all by yourself while you were waiting for your mother to fix you dinner tonight? I do agree that Bidwill blows though.

Dont you guys find it just a little strange that everyonbe on earth who isn't a Pats fan believes that Bill cheated.

At some point you have to face reality. I am a Cardinal fan, I understand and willingly admit that our owner sucks our team has almost always sucked and couldn't even win the damned NFC West this year.

Why do you all have to make me out to be an ass for stating the obvious???????

BionicPatriot on 02-14-2008 at 10:26 PM said:
Absolutely pathetic our congress wastes time on sports. With that said, Walsh is about loud as a dead man right now. There is no real true proof BB is a cheater, so specter can shove it.

:high:

Because going to another teams forum for the purpose of trashing said team is pretty Ass like.

We have a right to honest football games, yeah right, if he really gave a shit about it he'd investigate the piss poor officiating in the league. I watch all 4 major sports here in North America (Football, Baseball, Hockey, and Basketball) and Football is the only one where it seems like every game I watch the refs have a hand in.

If he said he was going to investigate officiating I'd be the first to jump on that train.

602image09iv9.jpg

cardsfanmd on 02-14-2008 at 10:33 PM said:
Dont you guys find it just a little strange that everyonbe on earth who isn't a Pats fan believes that Bill cheated.

Not really. The rest of you pathetic little scumbags can't stand the fact that BB figured out a way to create a dynasty in the salary cap era, so of course the first time a disgruntled employee claims BB is a "cheater" of course you're going to jump on it. Everyone hates the successful teams because they're jealous.

Being a Cards fan, I'm sure you're jealous of even the Bengals. :blink:

He should also look into the Steelers of the 70's breaking the rules.. and the 72 Dolphins tampering.. and I think I remember the Elway Broncos having some issues with tampering or screwing with the cap.. he should also focus on the HGH controversy, since Rodney got busted, and he's a Patriot, and Specter is a Philly fan, and still hasn't gotten over the SB loss to the Pats... obviously. I'm sure everyone outside of NE thinks this guy is a genius, because they are all blinded by the hatred just like him. They can turn a mole hill into a mountain to help ease the pain of being fans of teams that suck. If he focused half the energy he's spending on being a whiney bitch, on fixing the country.. we'd probably be out of debt and our boys would be home from Iraq.

Back