Gronk and Single Season History

Yeah, but Russ Francis is your "original AWTE".

Then there's KW II, so much of his dads talent and so little of his dad's character.

Cheers, BostonTim

Whatever homey. Jimmy Graham and Gronk ain't soldiers, or G's, dawg.

Gronk...AFC Offensive Player of the Week. :thumb:

Russ Francis was the original AWTE though. You're just too young to know that.

Russ Francis was the best TE in Football for many years and that the Patriots ever had, until now. Gronk is going to rewrite the record books for many years to come, baring any injuries :patriots!

Well, if you're going to be a homer about it, AWTE for us would have to be:

BEN COATES!!

Actually I wasn't particularly being a homer. What I'm doing is reprising Cossel's history of the AWTE. Howard first hung that handle and made it his own on Russ Francis. As set forth by Howard, Russ was the Original. Later he transferred the nick name to KW.

Coates obviously was awesome, but IIRC, Howard never referred to him as AWTE.

Cheers, BostonTim

Actually I wasn't particularly being a homer. What I'm doing is reprising Cossel's history of the AWTE. Howard first hung that handle and made it his own on Russ Francis. As set forth by Howard, Russ was the Original. Later he transferred the nick name to KW.

Coates obviously was awesome, but IIRC, Howard never referred to him as AWTE.

Cheers, BostonTim

Hard for him to say it when he's buried 6 feet under, Tim.

Bill Parcells always said "Let's not go putting him in Canton just yet"....

....but short of being derailed by injuries, if he keeps playing like he has been that's where he's going. He looks like a man playing against boys, I just hope his hard charging style doesn't lead to injuries.

No more bouncing on your head...OK Rob?

Extend his contract now if it's legal too.

Extend his contract now if it's legal too.

He's gonna play until the wheels fall off, hopefully that's not anytime soon.

As thrilling as it is, it's almost scary watching him play. :blink:

Every time I watch Gronk play, I'm astounded by his skill. If he hadn't missed his final season of college due to that back injury he could well have been a first round pick.

I really hope he sticks around with the Pats, we really need to keep a hold of this guy as he is just incredible.

I look at the locker room uncut stuff on the Patriots site, and you can see he's pleased with the record but is committed to the team and doesn't glorify in individual accomplishments, which is exactly what this Franchise is all about.

My guess is, when the time is right to extend his contract they'll make a good offer.

You have to think he'll want to stay with Brady, as Brady seems to look for him on most pass plays.

I’m seeing an interesting dynamic unfold although maybe it is a normal evolution and I am just noticing it because it is so rare.

I think all NFL fans look at the new “toys” their team drafted though the appropriately laundry-colored glasses and dream about what the new guys will become, and certainly in my case, that dream is for a very high level of performance. The end product is hardly ever at quite that level of excellence however, even if the player becomes a solid player.

But once in a blue moon, you get a guy who meets or exceeds your dream scenario, and Rob Gronkowski is that guy. I have seen it before with guys like Mike Haynes and John Hannah, where you almost instantly saw the gr8ness they would reach. Another more recent example for another team would be Darelle Revis; certainly no rational Rats fan expected him to become the consensus top CB in the league and a future HOFer (although in the Rats case there may have been some delusional fans who actually DID expect it).

The interesting dynamic that I am seeing is in the reaction that I am seeing from fans of opposing team. Look at their messageboards and you’ll see posts detailing their awe and respect. Unlike with Brady where you hear fans calling for him to be injured, you don’t see that with Gronkowski; it seems as if fans everywhere see a player with HOF potential and they want to be able to appreciate seeing what he can do. Maybe eventually when they get tired of being dominated the tenor of their posts will change, but for now, other fans just seem to be as in awe of Gronk as we are.

First, after you draft a player, the comments from other fans will be “Good luck when his back blows out”, or “he’ll never be a good as player X”, or some other dismissive comment about the player. Pats fans do it too, we are projecting our own hopes that whatever fans say about their new “toys” won’t come to pass and vice versa. Then comes silence as fans go into reevaluate mode as more information becomes available.

We then hope that we can jeer the other fan base that their player is a bust, or overrated, or whatever demeaning comment we can muster to make us feel better about our prospects and the opposing fans worse about their’s. That is so much what being a fan is all about; our laundry is better than your laundry.

But sometimes, like in the case of Gronk, no matter what team you follow, there is not much negative that you can say; you just have to watch in awe.

True gr8ness doesn’t come around that often. Savor it while you can.

Back