Hall of Famers Retiring in 2016

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
So the morning men on Sirius XM this AM are listing the Hall of Famers who retired this year (Kobe, Duncan and ManninHgH) and they want to discuss the dynamic that each brought to their respective sport.

I picked up the phone and called in. I got on the air and asked why no David Ortiz on the list?

Response: He's not really retired yet. He's on the "list." He's not in the same league.

Papi has three rings with the Sox and ManninHgH only has two. I mentioned that ManninHgH is also on a list.

They didn't want to hear it.

Pissed me off.

Thoughts? Am I wrong?

So the morning men on Sirius XM this AM are listing the Hall of Famers who retired this year (Kobe, Duncan and ManninHgH) and they want to discuss the dynamic that each brought to their respective sport.

I picked up the phone and called in. I got on the air and asked why no David Ortiz on the list?

Response: He's not really retired yet. He's on the "list." He's not in the same league.

Papi has three rings with the Sox and ManninHgH only has two. I mentioned that ManninHgH is also on a list.

Pissed me off.

Thoughts? Am I wrong?

Big Papi is going to suffer from the bias against DH'ers. Until the media in general recognizes the importance of the DH, it will always be an issue.

Big Papi is going to suffer from the bias against DH'ers. Until the media in general recognizes the importance of the DH, it will always be an issue.
I think that the media at large won't be as much of an issue in this instance because of his many, many, many heroics. The only truly great other designated hitter was at Edgar Martinez, and of the Mariners never won anything.

I think that the media at large won't be as much of an issue in this instance because of his many, many, many heroics. The only truly great other designated hitter was at Edgar Martinez, and of the Mariners never won anything.

That was kind of their point. Duncan was not flashy nor did he endear himself to the media.

Papi is like a scaled back version of Gronk at Fenway. His statement to the crowd after the Marathon bombing was one for the ages.

And unfair though it may be, he will also suffer from his PED revelation. :shrug:

Cheers, BostonTim

Some of the most overrated QBs ever are in the HOF (Namath, Jim Kelly, Favruh) so Manning who is just somewhat overrated will go in easily.

Some of the most overrated QBs ever are in the HOF (Namath, Jim Kelly, Favruh) so Manning who is just somewhat overrated will go in easily.

There is no bigger sham in all of professional sports than the fact that Joe Namath is in the HOF. Brad Johnson has a better record, better numbers, more playoff wins and just as many rings. The ONLY reason Namath is in is because he was a flashy drunk that played in New York. If he had played in Minnesota or San Diego he'd be a footnote.

Agreed, the market was a huge part as was the merger dynamics and his place in them. I mean, Namath did have talent, not saying he didn't. BUT...I mean his subpar SB performance alone should have foreshadowed PeyPey getting in.
I'd rather see guys in the HOF like Swann, etc in who were good but awesome in the post season. I'm big into performances in playoffs being more highly considered for HOF.

Agreed, the market was a huge part as was the merger dynamics and his place in them. I mean, Namath did have talent, not saying he didn't. BUT...I mean his subpar SB performance alone should have foreshadowed PeyPey getting in.
I'd rather see guys in the HOF like Swann, etc in who were good but awesome in the post season. I'm big into performances in playoffs being more highly considered for HOF.

that's where the greats step up.

I don't know if you remember these, but several years ago DirecTV ran their commercials where they edited scenes into actual game footage of players selling the Sunday Ticket package. There was one with ManniHGH, don't remember who the opponent was (I want to say TN...it was some suck-ass team) where the Colts are up 28-3 with a minute and a half left on the clock. ManniHGH finishes his little schpeel with "I gotta run...on second thought, I think I'll pass" and throws a TD pass. That tells you all you need to ever know about ManniHGH. Overrated, stat-hog POS.

Pissed me off.

Thoughts? Am I wrong?

A complete joke. Ortiz defines clutch, winning, rings. ManninHGH defines choking and peeing down his leg. ManninHGH is a ball washer and plays QB. Ortiz is foreign and plays DH. There is the bias and stupidity.

that's where the greats step up.

I don't know if you remember these, but several years ago DirecTV ran their commercials where they edited scenes into actual game footage of players selling the Sunday Ticket package. There was one with ManniHGH, don't remember who the opponent was (I want to say TN...it was some suck-ass team) where the Colts are up 28-3 with a minute and a half left on the clock. ManniHGH finishes his little schpeel with "I gotta run...on second thought, I think I'll pass" and throws a TD pass. That tells you all you need to ever know about ManniHGH. Overrated, stat-hog POS.

I remember that one, and one he made for directv I think where he talked about how something helped his Qb rating. LOL
His HOF bust should have the title "King of the 1 yd td pass".

If Peyton had been less stats prolific regular season but played well/was clutch in most (75%) of his playoff games, even if they lost, I still wouldn't count that (the fact they lost) against him. HOF is as individual of an honor as gets so individual performance should count more than the # of rings.

There is no bigger sham in all of professional sports than the fact that Joe Namath is in the HOF. Brad Johnson has a better record, better numbers, more playoff wins and just as many rings. The ONLY reason Namath is in is because he was a flashy drunk that played in New York. If he had played in Minnesota or San Diego he'd be a footnote.

I laughed when he made an ass of himself in front of the football world with Suzy Kolber... :party:

Back