Happy Pi Day!!!!

It's not about being smarter. It's about what is who's specialty. A 12 year old Harry Potter fan is not smarter than me, but does know more about Harry Potter than I do.
I'd be willing to wager there are some 12 year old Harry Potter fans that are smarter than me. Smarter than O_P_T, too.

There's a strong possibility there are some out there that are smarter than Steven Chu (the current Secretary of Energy).

I have to agree with BT about language being fluid with respect to common pronunciation. The word knight is a single syllable now, but in Chaucer's time is was a multisyllabic gutteral utterance in which the k and the g were both sounded out. That's just one example, and from just one language.

BTW - I'm an engineer, not a language maven. I'm sure there are those that can come up with plenty of other examples.

In this case, the confusion comes from iota.
. I know I swore off But damn the flesh is weak, but:

Thank you Dear God, at last an iota of proof. :coffee:

...but you're actually saying that I, who have been taught the Greek alphabet all my life by fluent Greek speakers, am totally wrong and my opinion is totally insupportable.
As a funny guy once said “This is the kind of pedantic demagoguery, up with which I will not put.” I don't care if you were taught by Aristotle and can say the Greek Alphabet backwards with a tennis ball in your mouth and your head in bucket of beer. By now we know you to be a Greek Scholar. Personally, being the world’s foremost authority, I can respect that. But you are talking about the Greek letter Pi and everyone else in this thread is talking about the English Noun Pi. It is your insistence that the English noun PI is pronounced pee that is totally insupportable. Pi the letter became PI the noun over time. Originally it was used by the Greeks as an initial, Pi being the first letter of perimetros (perimeter) in English. Over Time what used to be an abbreviation became a term of “art”. As an initial, it referred to the perimeter of anything from your back yard, to a rectangle or a circle. Over time it developed a specific identity and separate definition as a noun which refers just to the constant relationship of the circumference of a circle to it’s radius. That word transported itself out of the Greek and into the whole wide world. I don’t know how or if it’s pronounced in Russian or Chinese. Or Greek. I do know it is correctly pronounced PIE in English. You keep saying dictionaries are NOT authority. It’s all we have for words. We don’t have word court. We have dictionaries. Many believe that the great entomological OXFORD English dictionary, compiled in the early part of the past century by the linguistic Dons of Oxford is the foremost authority but not everyone. Dictionaries change, they grow, they are debated and they often cause conflict as language grows and evolves. Not all dictionaries agree on everything. Not everyone agrees which dictionary is better. BUT NOT WITH PI. From OED to Meriam Webster, to the American Heritage, they all agree. It’s pie. All your pride of race, love of learning and yearning for ancient purity will not change that.

Anyway sorry. Can’t help myself. Go ahead. Have the last word now. I mean it this time. Really. Maybe.

Cheers, BostonTim

Really?

Well let's just consider some place names.

There are two rivers called "Thames". One in England and another in eastern CT.

The one in England is pronounced "Temez" The one in CT is pronounced "Tames" (rhymes with James). Supposedly they changed it after the Revolution intentionally to make it sound different.

So how come the "TH" isn't pronounced as a TH in either of them?

Or there is the city of Haverhill in Mass. It's pronounced HAY-vril even though the spelling is nothing like that.

Then there is Worcester which is pronounced WUSS-tər, not WOR Kester.

Those pronunciations seem pretty "relative" to me.

3 years I have been waiting for this.

It's Wiss-tah. Not WUSS-tar.

Boom.

Lol, SF87 thinks he's smarter than a ****ing rocket scientist.

Silly, silly lad.

Who's effin smarter now, bish.woohoo

4serious, I feel brilliant now considering OPT's posts cause my brain to 'splode most of the time. It's the little victories, really.ROFL

4serious, I feel brilliant now considering OPT's posts cause my brain to 'splode most of the time. It's the little victories, really.ROFL
yeah it is like being in church...the ears are open, I am reading the pages but the two shall never meet in my mind and be retained

Boom.

I wouldn't have said anything. OPT may come up with a formula now that REQUIRES you to eat salsa.

Just sayin.

I wouldn't have said anything. OPT may come up with a formula now that REQUIRES you to eat salsa.

Just sayin.
He could have me so confused he could probably convince me it is lobster ROFL

Boom.

Yeah, well even 87 wouldn't pronounce it "WOR Kester".

Of course, we could make his head explode by explaining the "proper" pronunciation of "wicked pisser" :coffee:

Second Principle of the OPT: If you can confuse yourself, you can confuse anyone.

:thwak: Alpacas!

Horses and goats too.

ROFL You sound like my son with the damn Alpacas.

I like goats but I iz ascared of the horsies. I just want to love the llamas.:rolleyes:

Second Principle of the OPT: If you can confuse yourself, you can confuse anyone.

:thwak: Alpacas!

Horses and goats too.
U haz teh farm?

We were thinking about doing alpacas. We haz teh goats and horse and pigs and chickens and cattle. Our goats just had moar goats, too! wuv

It's not about being smarter. It's about what is who's specialty. A 12 year old Harry Potter fan is not smarter than me, but does know more about Harry Potter than I do.
I am pretty sure he has you beat.

I know a lot about boogers, but I am pretty sure he could still beat me there. Just sayin'.

Boom.

:LOL:

How about the lovely city in RI spelled Warwick but pronounced War - rick.

U haz teh farm?

We were thinking about doing alpacas. We haz teh goats and horse and pigs and chickens and cattle. Our goats just had moar goats, too! wuv

So did ours (well, last December)

This is Banjo.

attachment.php

<<
On Pi Day 2004, Daniel Tammet recited 22,514 decimal digits of π.
>>

Only 22,514 ? What a week effort. Anything less than 30,000 is lame.

<<
We were thinking about doing alpacas
>>

I have a close friend who raises alpacas. In fact I was LMFAO at one point because he's the bass player in Extreme, and when we were on our way home from the last show of the 2008 tour which was in Jakarta, I noted that he was literally going one day from rock star to shoveling sh*t on the farm the next day when he was home ROFL

Back