Hawg73's half-baked attempt at 2019 Patriot Draft Board

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
I know that excercises like this one are sketchy and possibly pointless, but for whatever reason every Spring I spend a few idle hours trying to familiarize myself with the Draft class for amusement and to get a handle on the new guys coming into the league.

I used to take our exact slots and attempt to predict who we'd take with a conventional mock, but the frequent trades up and down by the Master of Time, Space and Infinity have made that feel like a futile endeavor, so I'm going to do it a little different this year.

I've basically whittled down the 300 or so draftable players into a couple of dozen guys that made my cut for various reasons whether because I feel they are within our reach (T.J. Hockenson isn't walking through that door) or that they looked liked future Patriots by the way they played in College and, in some cases, because they fit some of our criteria such as experience, leadership and/or versatility. There were some guys I liked as players but I eliminated from consideration because of injury history, off-field issues or because they just don't seem like team-first people, which is, after all, the way we roll.

It'd be nice to hit on a couple, but I don't care. It's just a fun thing for me.

Day One

We might not even HAVE a Day One pick, but if we do then one of these guys might be the target:

Christian Wilkins DT-- he'll probably go top 15, but if he drops because he doesn't have prototype size then we should try really hard to get him. He's electric and we have nobody like him on the roster unless you count Adam Butler. Not even close. What a football player this kid is going to be. I'm fascinated by his game.

Clelin Ferrell DE-- almost the same deal as teammate Wilkins. A great football player and real two-way 4-3 DE whose fit in Foxboro is almost perfect. Trey Flowers is going to hurt, but it'll hurt a lot less with this dude.

Zach Allen DE -- Sure, he's a homer pick, but I've seen a bunch of his games at BC and he practically screams Patriot. Very similar style player to Ferrell and Bill is not shy about drafting DLs high. I have to believe that somewhere in our War Room somebody is pounding the table for this BC Eagle. I've never seen one guy block him for long.

Yodny Cajuste LT-- IF, and it's a pretty big one, Bill has his private doubts about LT then he could be interested in spending for one, something he has done a few times over the years and this guy with the funny name looks exactly what an NFL blind side OT should look like to me. If he's got a weakness then I haven't seen it and I watched West Virginia a lot.

Hakeem Butler WR -- My day one longshot of longshots. God, he'd be fun to watch with Brady. Far as I recall this team has never had a guy quite like him outside the hashes. I can only pray.

Day Two

In approximate order:

Andy Isabella WR, Elgton Jenkins OL, Khalen Saunders DL, Anthony Nelson DE, Will Grier QB, Chase Winovich OLB, Bobby Evans OT, Chris Lindstrom G, Will Harris S, Dax Raymond TE, Drew Parris Campbell WR, Nassir Adderly S, Drue Tranquill OLB, LJ Collier DE

Day Three (or UDFA)

Andrew VanGinkle LB, Foster Moreau TE, C.J. Conrad TE, Tommy Sweeney TE, Max Scharping OT, Jakobi Meyers WR, David Sills WR, Tyree Jackson QB, Terry McLaurin WR, Alex Wesley WR, Hunter Renfrow WR, Elijah Holyfield RB, Dontavius Russell DL

Comments, questions and scathing insults are welcomed. I can't wait for this thing to get rolling and may this be the year we do some serious smart drafting.

:toast:

I know that excercises like this one are sketchy and possibly pointless, but for whatever reason every Spring I spend a few idle hours trying to familiarize myself with the Draft class for amusement and to get a handle on the new guys coming into the league.

I used to take our exact slots and attempt to predict who we'd take with a conventional mock, but the frequent trades up and down by the Master of Time, Space and Infinity have made that feel like a futile endeavor, so I'm going to do it a little different this year.

I've basically whittled down the 300 or so draftable players into a couple of dozen guys that made my cut for various reasons whether because I feel they are within our reach (T.J. Hockenson isn't walking through that door) or that they looked liked future Patriots by the way they played in College and, in some cases, because they fit some of our criteria such as experience, leadership and/or versatility. There were some guys I liked as players but I eliminated from consideration because of injury history, off-field issues or because they just don't seem like team-first people, which is, after all, the way we roll.

It'd be nice to hit on a couple, but I don't care. It's just a fun thing for me.

Day One

We might not even HAVE a Day One pick, but if we do then one of these guys might be the target:

Christian Wilkins DT-- he'll probably go top 15, but if he drops because he doesn't have prototype size then we should try really hard to get him. He's electric and we have nobody like him on the roster unless you count Adam Butler. Not even close. What a football player this kid is going to be. I'm fascinated by his game.

Clelin Ferrell DE-- almost the same deal as teammate Wilkins. A great football player and real two-way 4-3 DE whose fit in Foxboro is almost perfect. Trey Flowers is going to hurt, but it'll hurt a lot less with this dude.

Zach Allen DE -- Sure, he's a homer pick, but I've seen a bunch of his games at BC and he practically screams Patriot. Very similar style player to Ferrell and Bill is not shy about drafting DLs high. I have to believe that somewhere in our War Room somebody is pounding the table for this BC Eagle. I've never seen one guy block him for long.

Yodny Cajuste LT-- IF, and it's a pretty big one, Bill has his private doubts about LT then he could be interested in spending for one, something he has done a few times over the years and this guy with the funny name looks exactly what an NFL blind side OT should look like to me. If he's got a weakness then I haven't seen it and I watched West Virginia a lot.

Hakeem Butler WR -- My day one longshot of longshots. God, he'd be fun to watch with Brady. Far as I recall this team has never had a guy quite like him outside the hashes. I can only pray.

Day Two

In approximate order:

Andy Isabella WR, Elgton Jenkins OL, Khalen Saunders DL, Anthony Nelson DE, Will Grier QB, Chase Winovich OLB, Bobby Evans OT, Chris Lindstrom G, Will Harris S, Dax Raymond TE, Drew Parris Campbell WR, Nassir Adderly S, Drue Tranquill OLB, LJ Collier DE

Day Three (or UDFA)

Andrew VanGinkle LB, Foster Moreau TE, C.J. Conrad TE, Tommy Sweeney TE, Max Scharping OT, Jakobi Meyers WR, David Sills WR, Tyree Jackson QB, Terry McLaurin WR, Alex Wesley WR, Hunter Renfrow WR, Elijah Holyfield RB, Dontavius Russell DL

Comments, questions and scathing insults are welcomed. I can't wait for this thing to get rolling and may this be the year we do some serious smart drafting.

:toast:

Double dip at QB? You cad.:eek:

Good list, Hawg.

I have no complaints other than Sills who probably didn't make the Pats' board bc of athletic deficiencies. I could add 10 players to each round but it wouldn't matter & it damn sure wouldn't change anything.

Good effort.

Good list, Hawg.

I have no complaints other than Sills who probably didn't make the Pats' board bc of athletic deficiencies. I could add 10 players to each round but it wouldn't matter & it damn sure wouldn't change anything.

Good effort.

There is solid reason to believe that the Pats do have requirements for things like 3-cone time etc., and I almost left Sills off the list for that reason. He's not an elite athlete.

But, I've just seen him beat too many guys that could have qualified too many times to not include him. 33 TDs in the last two years. Phenomenal balance and ability to high-point that is rare. He beats guys over the top and by contorting his body in mid-air, not by blowing out of his cuts, but he wins.

He's a 3rd down/RZ machine that makes tough/impossible catches regularly. He and Grier were a college version of Brady/Edelman and it's not like we're deep in WRs. Sign him up after the draft and let's see what happens.

Holyfield...is he Evander's son?

Yes, and he's a Georgia guy that the Pats know all about and he runs HARD.

His numbers aren't great, but this years crop of RBs is light on guys that can bust some helmets to get you two on 3rd and 1 and I think we need a guy like him to add in the mix. Plus, he's just as great of a kid as Sony Michel is.

The one guy I really wanted to add to our roster is Alex Ingold the FB out of Wisconsin but nobody is going to beat out James Develin. Ingold is Develin II. Somebody is going to love having that guy on their offense.

Good list, Hawg.

Good effort.

IIRC, Sills is a converted QB. Seems to me BB can make that work in this offense.

Drew Paris Campbell =Drew Sample + Paris Campbell?
TE and WR?

It's like the day before Christmas,,, sort of:coffee:

I'll add QB Stick to the third day.

Ever since you predicted they would pick Logan Mankins I have relied on your insights into each year’s draft class. Now I know what to hope for in the draft!

Ever since you predicted they would pick Logan Mankins I have relied on your insights into each year’s draft class. Now I know what to hope for in the draft!

Mankins made sense back then because he was played several positions and was a 2X Captain, something that describes a lot of my 2019 guys.

That's how Drue Tranquill made the cut aside from the fact that every time I watched Notre Dame he was always doing something to help his team win in a variety of ways. I never expected he would score so high athletically, so he was a definite. I'll be surprised if he turns out to be a JAG, but this is the best place for him to land.

Our drafting doesn't always make sense, but there are still some tendencies. I used to hit on a pick or two (one year I got three if you include FAs) but then Belichick just started changing the kind of guys he was looking for and I couldn't fathom what he was doing. Like many, I suppose, but my brother Jerry has had some really good success since my well ran dry.

How 'bout Darnell Savage Jr.?

Savage seems to be a hot riser. I forget who, or what network, but they had him going to the Patriots at #32.

Your overall board is similar to my thinking, give or take a few. Good effort Hawg, putting this all down.:toast:

Starting tomorrow BB will make all of our efforts meaningless, as usual. :LOL:

How 'bout Darnell Savage Jr.?

He reminds me of Chung. At 5'11" he's a bit undersized but he's got great instincts and athleticism. He's tough, mean and hits hard. He's aggressive, sometimes too aggressive and has a tendency to be too quick to commit so single high is out. I think of him as a cover 2 S with box skills...just like Chung.

Back